Pre-Buy question on a M20E

Dutch

I am about to buy a M20E. I am concerned. The seller (IA and friend of the owner) and I shook  hands on the commitment to buy the Mooney and when I came back 2 day later he had switched the new Scimitar Prop out with the old original factory prop.

I am questioning the deal now. 
a) do I walk away?

b) who can I get in the Kansas City region to do my pre-buy? 

thank you 

Dutch

I would have a frank talk with the seller and make certain the seller understands that the prop switch is troubling, and indicative of very shady business.  If the seller doesn't step up to make it right hard I'd not walk, but run away.  Not really happy when folks misrepresent things. Lots of Mooneys out there with honest owners.

2 hours ago, Dutch said:

I am about to buy a M20E. I am concerned. The seller (IA and friend of the owner) and I shook  hands on the commitment to buy the Mooney and when I came back 2 day later he had switched the new Scimitar Prop out with the old original factory prop.

a) do I walk away?

thank you 

Dutch

I’d move on.  Even if they return the airplane to the configuration that you agreed to, they’ve shown their true colours.

Clarence

2 hours ago, Dutch said:

a) do I walk away?

thank you 

Dutch

I’d walk as there’s zero trust in this deal now. 

5 hours ago, Dutch said:

a) do I walk away?

thank you 

Dutch

Don’t walk..run like hell..

Something isn’t ready…

Either the OP completely mis-understood what was for sale, and what wasn’t… and what the price is…

Or somebody forgot how to sell machinery…. Picture what is for sale, with a price, and a list of exclusions…

So… let’s say this is your first plane purchase….

Visit a known Mooney seller’s site…. See how they cover all the details of what you get for your money…

See what they have for reviews of their service… on line.

+1 for a fancy moon-walk in the opposite direction.

call it a learning experience… there are more to come… 

Buying machinery takes experience to be comfortable with everything…

For fun, take a look at this website…   
https://www.gmaxamericanaircraft.com

Try to find two planes that are similar…  competition, as a buyer, will work in your favor…

PP thoughts only, not a plane sales guy…

Best regards,

-a-

No connection with this deal, so anything I say here is pure speculation.  The only E model I could find in Kansas or Missouri is this one, linked from TAP.  (Looking for a prebuy in Kansas City, I'm making a wild guess that the plane is in one of those two states.)

https://www.trade-a-plane.com/search?listing_id=2395533

I don't see a fancy scimitar prop in those photos, but I do wonder whether the prop referenced by the OP was a misunderstanding (they had swapped out the prop for maintenance or whatever).  If you really like the plane, it's probably worth one conversation with the seller just to see if there is an innocent explanation.  Have your running shoes handy :)

• Like 1

I appreciate confirmation of walking/running. I was willing to pay the big $ on a pre-buy. The owner just called me and stated that nobody will touch that airplane…so yes, I’m running! 
Tail number N79823

Last flight was in 2016!? And only 20 minutes long!
NFW would I waste my time on it.
One reason I prefer to work with professional brokers.
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, ArtVandelay said:

Last flight was in 2016!? And only 20 minutes long!
NFW would I waste my time on it.
One reason I prefer to work with professional brokers.

Most of my flights don't show up on FlightAware either. Doesn't mean that it isn't flying, or me either.

But leaving this one be is good idea for other reasons. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ArtVandelay said:

I have the settings to show position flights (code for flights squawking 1200).

So do I, but all of them don't show up. Then again, out here in the boonies, I don't always get flight following. Can't reach ATL until a couple thousand feet agl.