TruTrak Autopilot Pre Order's / Status Update

Jeev

Just to warn everybody about the future "support" we will get the AeroCruze 100 / Trutrak for our Mooneys.

I contacted Duncan to purchase the separate parts and unfortunately got the "support" one would expect from BendixKing these days. I already purchased AeroCruze 100 for another certified airplane, but decided it is better to put in Mooney, as it is a better traveling machine as we all know. I also have the BendixKing STC Letter of Approval permitting me to install Aero Cruze 100 issued to my Mooney. Here is the reply I got from Duncan:

"Duncan is the master distributor for the BendixKing AeroCruze 100 Mooney STC Kits, other dealers purchase thru Duncan as well."

"Duncan will be selling this AeroCruze 100 STC "as a full kit" all material needed is included, this is based on Duncan's discussions with BendixKing sales. "

"Our best suggestion is for operators to purchase a full kit, and get themselves on the back-order list."

When I talked to Andrew Barker some time ago, he mentioned that I should simply call one of the vendors to purchase the parts I need for the installation, which seems to be impossible.

My reply to Criss Gress from Duncan was bounced with the following message

"Message blocked

Your message to chris.g@duncanaviation.com has been blocked. See technical details below for more information.

The response from the remote server was:

550 permanent failure for one or more recipients (chris.g@duncanaviation.com:blocked) "

My conclusions:

1. Like most other manufacturers, Trutrak did have some problems with heads and servos failures. One of these digiflight II heads failed in some weird and scary state is sitting in my hangar. Since Trutrak was acquired by BendixKing the only option was to upgrade to the next generation Vizion autopilot. So, in the future, the only option to replace the failed parts will be to purchase a new "full kit" from the "master distributor" - Duncan, who claims to be a monopoly and will charge appropriate.

2. Even if Duncan will agree to sell you replacement parts in the distant future, expect to pay close to the price of the "full kit". Many people have similar "great" experience with S-Tec for example. This is what usually happens with a single "master distributor". Before purchased by BendixKing, Trutrak itself was an exception, thanks to Andrew Barker, who had a different philosophy. But looks like he lost control of the company since that, so the philosophy also changed.

3. The situation about who owns AeroCruze 100 STC for Mooney installations is murky to say the least. Sort of a gray area. Proceed at your own risk.

4. I might be wrong, but the consensus on the boards seems to be that many, if not most, GA pilots do not even consider BendixKing products when researching their avionics upgrade options. I would like to see arguments why AeroCruze 100 should be an exception. So far, the product goes the same direction as other BendixKing products for GA. I base my conclusion on many complains from other pilots and my own calls to BendixKing trying to obtain any help. Non was ever provided.

5. At this point, other options look more attractive. In one option available now, despite higher initial price, one gets a more capable autopilot and, also important, better support in case of future problems. Personally, I put my project on hold until either the situation with BendixKing AeroCruze 100 is resolved or, more likely, another system from a well known and well respected manufacturer with a great customer support is finally certified. When I called that other great manufacturer recently to ask if I have to purchase the "full kit" to install their glass panel into my certified airplane or I can skip some components of STC I already have and some others that I plan to implement differently, the response was the following:

- I have to purchase only the components required by STC (very few BTW)

- if I already have some components required by STC, I should send those components back to them before the installation for "FAA blessing" - free of charge

- although some of my already installed components will not interface with their system, they recommended me to keep them as the "setup works great as it is".

I wish all you guys  who already put yourselves "on the back-order list" with Duncan best of luck. You will need it in the future!

Vik

• Like 1

15 hours ago, vik said:

My reply to Criss Gress from Duncan was bounced with the following message

"Message blocked

Your message to chris.g@duncanaviation.com has been blocked. See technical details below for more information.

The response from the remote server was:

550 permanent failure for one or more recipients (chris.g@duncanaviation.com:blocked) "

Wow! You got completely blocked??? That’s ridiculous. The Aerocruze option is looking like a very bad option especially if you must go through Duncan to have it installed. I’m happy to wait for Dynon to get the STC done for my SkyView system. Luckily the HDX makes hand flying and IFR flight really really easy so I’m in no hurry.

I really cannot understand why anyone would purchase anything from these guys. Why would you think you are going to get any support from them? I spoke with the guy at the Mooney Summit about this product and there is no way I would purchase this product for my aircraft. Literally the ONLY selling point is price.

• Like 1

On 9/27/2022 at 7:25 PM, carusoam said:

Dutch Crunch Rolls

I asked Alexa for a pic of a Dutch roll….

I haven’t seen any of these in my Mooney…

:)

Best regards,

-a-

You misunderstood: the Mooney was designed for you to go get some, these don't come pre-installed :)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Hyett6420 said:

So what about the aerocruze 200 which is "supposed to be " the slot in for the KFC150 etc.  Are people having the same issues with BK over this?  I must admit I have an "interesting" history with BK with regards to a British chap who they sponsored for a round the world flight where the sponsorship did not quite leave the taste in the mouth one would have expected.  I am intrigued though whether the issues with the Trutrak are just 100 related or include the 200 as well.

The Aerocruze 230:

https://aerospace.honeywell.com/us/en/products-and-services/product/hardware-and-systems/bendixking-products/aerocruze-230?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=22-aero-ww-dsa&utm_term=dsa_aero&utm_content=dyn-en-lp&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI563EmYvd-gIVoRvUAR38JgUkEAAYASAAEgLhJ_D_BwE

An install was done by LASAR about two years ago on a Mooney:

• Thanks 1

I'm just wondering?

If you have a higher cost option for Mooneys (the 200) and you also own the  very capable for most low cost option (the 100) would it make economic sense to have both in the line up or would one tend to "downplay " the low cost option by not producing it? 

What economic sense does it make to have both?

1 hour ago, cliffy said:

I'm just wondering?

If you have a higher cost option for Mooneys (the 200) and you also own the  very capable for most low cost option (the 100) would it make economic sense to have both in the line up or would one tend to "downplay " the low cost option by not producing it? 

That decision would have been made before incurring certification costs, I would think. Like Garmin did with the GFC 500 and GFC 600.

interesting that this thread is 57 pages and still no autopilot. Ed King must be rolling in his grave — or maybe laughing with a glass of King Estate pinot noir.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, cliffy said:

I'm just wondering?

The Aerocruze 230 is only  for replacement of the KFC150 and KFC200. BK could have cleaned up with large amount of the older Mooneys that didn't have an autopilot or had an older inop autopilot or wing leveler.

From what I hear (rumor mill) they are in the same FAA office as the Boeing fiasco and the Boeing fiasco has untl the end of the year to get fixed or be dropped 

At that time more inspectors will be available to look at Dynon  BUT that's just the rumors I hear. 

Don't put any faith in them

17 minutes ago, cliffy said:

From what I hear (rumor mill) they are in the same FAA office as the Boeing fiasco and the Boeing fiasco has untl the end of the year to get fixed or be dropped 

At that time more inspectors will be available to look at Dynon  BUT that's just the rumors I hear. 

Don't put any faith in them

Boeing fiasco? I'm interested to hear more details Are we talking about the MAX 7? Just curious.

All I heard was they are all still all working on a Boeing certification issue that either gets solved by the end of the year or it gets dropped. Then more agent will be available to look at other projects,

And my comments were about the Dynon A/P and not TT/BK for which I may have jumped the gun on this particular thread. 

Like I said rumors   nothing as solid evidence. 

Just passing along what I heard. Sorry if it confused anyone

My personal opinion on the TT/BK issue?

I think its all internal with BK and Duncan

Edited by cliffy
  • Like 2

American doesn't even have any MAX 7 or MAX 10 aircraft on order, eh? No politics in play here at all... <_<

The exemption would *maybe* affect a small percentage of AA pilots (how many 737s do they have?) but would definitely affect ALL SWA pilots, for obvious reasons.

Full disclosure- I work for Southwest.

/rant Sorry for the thread drift :)

• Like 1