TruTrak Autopilot Pre Order's / Status Update

Jeev

Hey everyone!! I have been in constant contact with TruTrak regarding the approval of the Vision for our Mooney's.  They have told me that the paperwork will be in to the FAA late this month and they are anticipating approval in September of this year.  I am taking pre orders for the Vision at this time, if you are interested please email me the following: N number, name, address, phone, 12 or 24 volt system, which controller you want 2'', 3'' or flat pack.  There is NO deposit required, I will submit your info to TruTrak under my account and they will hold a spot.  When they have FAA approval I will contact you and if you would like to still place the order we can move forward with payment.  

The Vision will be $5000, that includes everything you need for the install.  I have my name on the list already and my shops first install will be my J so they are not "learning" on your plane .  That will also give me a really good idea of the hours / cost of install so there will be no surprises on that front.  From what I have seen with other kits I am expecting 30-40 hrs for a Mooney, labor rates at my shop are $95/hr.  Keep in mind as in my case I have a century III with good servos that I will be able to sell and recoup hopefully $1,500 or so.

Installs will be available at EGA Aviation at North Las Vegas Airport (KVGT) or I can ship you the Vision to be installed by your own shop.  There will be a Mooneyspace discount but TruTrak does not allow lower than retail advertising.  Your discount will be included in your quote if you are a Mooneyspace member. 

I am so excited to get this in my aircraft and real happy technology like this is finally making it to GA with "affordable" pricing! 

Attached to this post is some info about the Vision.

I look forward to earning your business and thank you all for your support.

Sanjeev Prasad

Wolf Aviation

sanjeev@wolfaviationsales.com

702-521-8338

http://www.wolfaviationsales.com

MS Vision Info Pkt.pdf

• Like 1

Looks like I am having some issues with my email. You can PM me or use the updated address : wolfaviation@cox.net while I get it fixed.  I apologize for any inconvenience. 

Hey everyone!! I have been in constant contact with TruTrak regarding the approval of the Vision for our Mooney's.  They have told me that the paperwork will be in to the FAA late this month and they are anticipating approval in the last quarter of this year.  I am taking pre orders for the Vision at this time, if you are interested please email me the following: N number, name, address, phone, 12 or 24 volt system, which controller you want 2'', 3'' or flat pack.  There is NO deposit required, I will submit your info to TruTrak under my account and they will hold a spot.  When they have FAA approval I will contact you and if you would like to still place the order we can move forward with payment.  

The Vision will be $5000, that includes everything you need for the install.  I have my name on the list already and my shops first install will be my J so they are not "learning" on your plane .  That will also give me a really good idea of the hours / cost of install so there will be no surprises on that front.  From what I have seen with other kits I am expecting 20-30 hrs for a Mooney with no auto pilot and 30-35hrs for a Mooney that needs the current autopilot removed, labor rates at my shop are $90/hr.  Keep in mind as in my case I have a century III with good servos that I will be able to sell and recoup hopefully $1,500 or so.

Installs will be available at EGA Aviation at North Las Vegas Airport (KVGT) or I can ship you the Vision to be installed by your own shop.  There will be a Mooneyspace discount but TruTrak does not allow lower than retail advertising.  Your discount will be included in your quote if you are a Mooneyspace member. 

I am so excited to get this in my aircraft and real happy technology like this is finally making it to GA with "affordable" pricing! 

Attached to this post is some info about the Vision.

I look forward to earning your business and thank you all for your support.

Sanjeev Prasad

Wolf Aviation

wolfaviation@cox.net

702-521-8338

MS Vision Info Pkt.pdf

I wasn’t able to open the PDF. Are they including IAS climbs and descents with this release. When I spoke to them at Sun N Fun they said it was 2 years out for that functionality. For me, the 2 “needs to have” are IAS climbs/descents and altitude pre-select. The “wants” are upset recovery and integration with my Aspen.

Any status on these?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

32 minutes ago, Marauder said:

I wasn’t able to open the PDF. Are they including IAS climbs and descents with this release. When I spoke to them at Sun N Fun they said it was 2 years out for that functionality. For me, the 2 “needs to have” are IAS climbs/descents and altitude pre-select. The “wants” are upset recovery and integration with my Aspen.

Any status on these?

Altitude pre-select, VS climbs, upset recovery (blue button), AEP bank angle protection,  are included however there is no IAS climb at this time.  Aspen integration was added in march which allows the aspen heading bug & pass through GPSS to drive the Vision AP as well as altimeter sync, link to the video below (2nd link).  The nice trend I have seen with TruTrak is when new features are added they are done so at no additional cost.  

Until final FAA approval these items are not 100% but based on the other approvals it is a safe bet.   

Here is a list of the current features for those who can't open the PDF: https://trutrakflightsystems.com/collections/certified-autopilots/products/pma-vizion-3-inch

Here is a video of the system on a 172 from what Trutrak has told me and historically seen on new approvals the features will be the same for the Mooney.  

Aspen integration and Mooney addition :

Cheers everyone.

Altitude pre-select, VS climbs, upset recovery (blue button), AEP bank angle protection,  are included however there is no IAS climb at this time.  Aspen integration was added in march which allows the aspen heading bug & pass through GPSS to drive the Vision AP as well as altimeter sync, link to the video below (2nd link).  The nice trend I have seen with TruTrak is when new features are added they are done so at no additional cost.  
Until final FAA approval these items are not 100% but based on the other approvals it is a safe bet.   
Here is a list of the current features for those who can't open the PDF: https://trutrakflightsystems.com/collections/certified-autopilots/products/pma-vizion-3-inch
Here is a video of the system on a 172 from what Trutrak has told me and historically seen on new approvals the features will be the same for the Mooney.  
[/url]  
Aspen integration and Mooney addition :

Cheers everyone.

Thanks. I will spend some time to watch the Aspen integration video when I get a minute. I would hope it is more than just heading bug and GPSS. Those are basic features that Aspen does with any autopilot it integrates with. What I was hoping for was altitude pre-select within the Aspen (using their altitude select feature).

• Like 1

Dynon is saying skyview HDX mooney approval 4th q this year and EMS and AP 2nd q 19. I'm on the fence as to a full skyview, engine monitor, and autopilot next year or an aspen and tru trac this fall. Watching the dynon videos it seems they spank the tru trac.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, NJMac said:

Dynon is saying skyview HDX mooney approval 4th q this year and EMS and AP 2nd q 19. I'm on the fence as to a full skyview, engine monitor, and autopilot next year or an aspen and tru trac this fall. Watching the dynon videos it seems they spank the tru trac.

Am I the only one wondering what kind of stuff is going to be coming out of planes and to the used avionics market when the Skyview HDX's start going in? 

• Like 1

Ill be selling my jpi 900.

Am I the only one wondering what kind of stuff is going to be coming out of planes and to the used avionics market when the Skyview HDX's start going in? 

Had no idea about any of that. Just was an example about nice equipment coming out being replaced with dynons complete system. Heck. Maybe I’ll end up w a trutrac in a few months. Flip a coin on what I’ll do each day.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, NJMac said:

The HDX is an awesome unit and I took that into consideration when planning on upgrading my Mooney but based on costs and how much I wanted to tear into it I felt like the TruTrak was a better fit.  In your case I think it is a valid consideration since you are doing the Aspen too but In general I don’t think the HDX is a fair comparison to the TruTrak. Once you buy the equipment, do a full tear out / re install and cut a new panel you are into the project for north of $12k possibly more.  I think if you want a full re do of the panel there is no better option then the HDX when it is approved since it has everything in one really cool package, if I were you I would wait to see what Dynon has before pulling the trigger on the Aspen / TruTrak.

The TruTrak on the other hand is something I can get installed with minimal surgery to the Mooney that will give me a very useful full featured autopilot.  TruTrak estamates 20-25hrs install time for the Mooney kit,  I will post updated hrs after mine is installed. Another factor was that there were only 3 approved install centers in the US for Dynon Certified.  All that lead me to TruTrak and I liked the set up so much I became a dealer.  

The cool thing about all this is the AWESOME products that are becoming available for our vintage aircraft!  

• Like 4

Are they actually going to make them to fly an ILS? That's one of my biggest hangups with them.

I just spoke with TruTrak today and was told they are expecting September for the Mooney approvals.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, NJMac said:

Are they actually going to make them to fly an ILS? That's one of my biggest hangups with them.

Based on all their previous approvals I would venture to say no however nothing is final till the approval.  How they explained the lack of the ILS feature to me was that it would be a hang up in the approval process to have the Vision interface with all of the different brands / configurations of ILS outputs.  Given that there is a GPS/LPV or straight GPS at just about every airport and many of the smaller airports have only a GPS and no ILS makes it a non issue for me.  Couple that with all the other features that I get that are way above and beyond what my century III and legacy autopilots give me and I am happy especially for the price.  

• Like 2

7 hours ago, NJMac said:

I would love the HDX, except it does not have electric trim as an option.  If you want electric trim you have to bring your own.  For me, that would mean continuing to maintain the trim portion of the KFC200.  That means expen$ive if the servo ever breaks.  I'm still leaning Garmin because it is the only system with electric trim.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jetdriven said:

its 2k cheaper than the Garmin GFC500 but it basically doesnt do approaches, besides RNAV approaches to 700'.  I dont see a whole difference of utility more than  my Century 2B/ ALT HOLD.

I think TT really needs to get the 700 ft legal limit removed to make sure they can grab as much market share as possible for the aircraft already certified. Make it a priority...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jetdriven said:

its 2k cheaper than the Garmin GFC500 but it basically doesnt do approaches, besides RNAV approaches to 700'.  I dont see a whole difference of utility more than  my Century 2B/ ALT HOLD.

The GFC-500 is a nice set up but realistically the TruTrak is WAY cheaper than $2k when you factor in installation.  Installs for the GFC-500 are close to $15k all in compare to $7k - $8k for the TT.  I would love for the TruTrak to do it all but honestly the unit is priced at the low end of the market and for that price you do give up some functionality compare to the high end units like the GFC-500.  For me that is a good trade off since I'm not willing drop $15k + into my $110k aircraft when I'm thinking of upgrading to a twin in the next few years. For those who really want all the features and integration I definitely agree the GFC-500 will be a better fit.  It's a really nice unit and I would never try to talk those people into the TT but there is definitely a market for those who would rather save the $ and have most of the functionality, that's me. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Jeev said:

The GFC-500 is a nice set up but realistically the TruTrak is WAY cheaper than $2k when you factor in installation.  Installs for the GFC-500 are close to $15k all in compare to $7k - $8k for the TT.  I would love for the TruTrak to do it all but honestly the unit is priced at the low end of the market and for that price you do give up some functionality compare to the high end units like the GFC-500.  For me that is a good trade off since I'm not willing drop $15k + into my $110k aircraft when I'm thinking of upgrading to a twin in the next few years. For those who really want all the features and integration I definitely agree the GFC-500 will be a better fit.  It's a really nice unit and I would never try to talk those people into the TT but there is definitely a market for those who would rather save the $ and have most of the functionality, that's me. 

I don't think the price difference is necessarily all that great.  TT is $5,000.  That gets you the box and 2 servos.  The GFC 500 is $7,000.  That too gets you the control head and 2 servos.  What makes the price of the Garmin more expensive is the fact that you need at least one G5 with a GMU11 and GAD29 or 29B.  That makes it another $3,000.  If you want dual G5's then it's another $2200.

However, if you are planning on getting rid of your current ADI/HSI anyway, that cost would be added to the cost of the TT too.  Or you could replace them with the Aspen.  On the other hand, if you like your current ADI/HSI, the TT then becomes about $5000+ cheaper for parts.

I fit in the first category.  Get rid of the KFC200 and vacuum system.  And the GFC has the option of electric trim and yaw dampener.  While the TT can provide auto-trim, you have to get the electric trim someplace other than TT because they don't have an electric trim option.  Same with yaw dampener.  Same with Dynon.  Now if Garmin would provide an STC for a stand alone electric trim option, I might look hard at the Dynon.  If I can wait that long.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Bob - S50 said:

I don't think the price difference is necessarily all that great.  TT is $5,000.  That gets you the box and 2 servos.  The GFC 500 is $7,000.  That too gets you the control head and 2 servos.  What makes the price of the Garmin more expensive is the fact that you need at least one G5 with a GMU11 and GAD29 or 29B.  That makes it another $3,000.  If you want dual G5's then it's another $2200.

However, if you are planning on getting rid of your current ADI/HSI anyway, that cost would be added to the cost of the TT too.  Or you could replace them with the Aspen.  On the other hand, if you like your current ADI/HSI, the TT then becomes about $5000+ cheaper for parts.

I fit in the first category.  Get rid of the KFC200 and vacuum system.  And the GFC has the option of electric trim and yaw dampener.  While the TT can provide auto-trim, you have to get the electric trim someplace other than TT because they don't have an electric trim option.  Same with yaw dampener.  Same with Dynon.  Now if Garmin would provide an STC for a stand alone electric trim option, I might look hard at the Dynon.  If I can wait that long.

I am looking at the TruTrak as an incomplete solution (at least at this point). There is no IAS climb capability, no ILS capability and limitation on RNAV approaches (700'). I do like the fact they are integrating with Aspen. I am sure they will address some if not all of these gaps but I won't spend the money until I know they are.

• Like 1