Avidyne IFD 540/440-Garmin 500 software bug

7 hours ago, thinwing said:

Yikes ,ok my prob is small...my RSO refuses to launch with the big red X....she has done this a lot ,is very smart ,so I can't bull shit her and tell her "oh it will come back on line on takeoff"cause she is looking at a wall of grey!She basically says f##k this rodeo ,I'm not playing!You are nuts to trust a bunch of code writers that don't personally have their asses on the line...that's the woman I married...what can I say!

smart women! definitely worth listening to 

The problem is the number of people this is affecting is relatively small. However, @AviSimpson please pass on the message that people with deep pockets are paying close attention to how Avidyne takes care of customers in this position.  OVERNIGHT a unit that will work with his current setup...even if it's a 530w...

• Like 1

16 hours ago, thinwing said:

I noticed Executive autopilots has an IFD 540 that I think still has the pre 10.2...what would happen if they config that one for my settings?Would issue go away?I have dual avadynes...what would happen if one was old software and one new?Than use old for takeoff new for advanced features and use the cdi GPS 1/2 select to choose between the two?

I think before you do that, we will want to know what software levels your G500 is on. Our C182 test bed has a G500 in it with the following software levels: GDU v6.21, GDC v3.09, GMU v2.01. We flew it yesterday paired to two 10.2 IFDs with no issues. We've updated a separate G500 in our lab to the latest software levels, which came out in the last 6 months or so and found the that connected to a 10.1.3 or a 10.2 unit the issue surfaced. Since the lab unit is static, the next step is to update the test aircraft with the latest G500 software levels and replicate what we see in the lab while taxing around. That should further confirm we know what the exact issue is so we can correct it in 10.2.1 and give the green light to update the G500 to the latest software. An official SIL is in the works and will be posted.

I am happy to join with you today in what will go down in history as the greatest demonstration for freedom in the history of avionics.
One score and eight years ago, two great Americans, in whose symbolic shadow we stand today, signed their Corporate charter. This momentous decree came as a great beacon light of hope to millions of Aviation slaves who had been seared in the flames of withering injustice. It came as a joyous daybreak to end the long night of ADF captivity.
But 28 years later, the aviator still is not free. Twenty Eignt years later, the life of the aviator is still sadly crippled by the manacles of segregation and the chains of discrimination. 28 years later, the aviator lives on a lonely island of captivity in the midst of a vast ocean of material prosperity. 28 years later, the aviator is still languished in the corners of the FAA and finds himself in exile in his own plane. So we have come here today to dramatize an shameful condition.
But we refuse to believe that the bank of justice is bankrupt. We refuse to believe that there are insufficient funds in the great vaults of opportunity of this company. So we have come to cash this check- a check that will give us upon demand the riches of freedom and the security of interoperability.
We have also come to this hallowed spot to remind Aviation of the fierce urgency of now. This is no time to engage in the luxury of cooling off or to take the tranquilizing drug of gradualism.
And as we walk, we must make the pledge that we shall march ahead. We cannot turn back. There are those who are asking the devotees of interoperability, "When will you be satisfied?
We can never be satisfied as long as the plane owner is the victim of the unspeakable horrors of proprietary protocol brutality. We can never be satisfied as long as our bodies, heavy with the fatigue of travel, cannot gain tranquility of complete equipment functionality. We can never be satisfied as long as our pilots are stripped of their selfhood and robbed of their dignity by disclaimers stating "works with Garmin only"
No, no, we are not satisfied, and we will not be satisfied until justice rolls down like waters and righteousness like a mighty stream.
I say to you today, my friends, so even though we face the difficulties of today and tomorrow, I still have a dream. It is a dream deeply rooted in the American dream. I have a dream that one day the FAA will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed: "We hold these truths to be self-evident; that all manufactures are created equal." I have a dream that one day on the red hills of Georgia the sons of former Mooney owners and the sons of former Bonanza owners will be able to sit down together at the table of brotherhood. I have a dream that one day even the state of Kansas, a state sweltering with the heat of manufacture injustice, sweltering with the heat of oppression, will be transformed into an oasis of freedom and justice

48 minutes ago, AviSimpson said:

I think before you do that, we will want to know what software levels your G500 is on. Our C182 test bed has a G500 in it with the following software levels: GDU v6.21, GDC v3.09, GMU v2.01. We flew it yesterday paired to two 10.2 IFDs with no issues. We've updated a separate G500 in our lab to the latest software levels, which came out in the last 6 months or so and found the that connected to a 10.1.3 or a 10.2 unit the issue surfaced. Since the lab unit is static, the next step is to update the test aircraft with the latest G500 software levels and replicate what we see in the lab while taxing around. That should further confirm we know what the exact issue is so we can correct it in 10.2.1 and give the green light to update the G500 to the latest software. An official SIL is in the works and will be posted.

thank you for coming back with solid information.

Brian

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, orionflt said:

thank you for coming back with solid information.

Brian

I agree this is useful my current software was updated to latest during trouble shooting but was earlier 7.00/3.04 nov 2015...,I had the issue with 10.2 at this level

IMG_2941.JPG

I agree this is useful my current software was updated to latest during trouble shooting but was earlier 7.00/3.04 nov 2015...,I had the issue with 10.2 at this level
IMG_2941.thumb.JPG.515f8789469df846b722648640460636.JPG

I clearly see the issue. Inverted flight.

789d626eed1a8c4fcc69eb7a0110122d.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, gsxrpilot said:

Can nobody post pictures around here? Seriously, complaining about Avidyne and some very complex reverse engineered software and you can't even post a picture right side up? 

;)

Hey it looked ok on my screen..

2 hours ago, mike_elliott said:

I am happy to join with you today in what will go down in history as the greatest demonstration for freedom in the history of avionics.
One score and eight years ago, two great Americans, in whose symbolic shadow we stand today, signed their Corporate charter. This momentous decree came as a great beacon light of hope to millions of Aviation slaves who had been seared in the flames of withering injustice. It came as a joyous daybreak to end the long night of ADF captivity.
But 28 years later, the aviator still is not free. Twenty Eignt years later, the life of the aviator is still sadly crippled by the manacles of segregation and the chains of discrimination. 28 years later, the aviator lives on a lonely island of captivity in the midst of a vast ocean of material prosperity. 28 years later, the aviator is still languished in the corners of the FAA and finds himself in exile in his own plane. So we have come here today to dramatize an shameful condition.
But we refuse to believe that the bank of justice is bankrupt. We refuse to believe that there are insufficient funds in the great vaults of opportunity of this company. So we have come to cash this check- a check that will give us upon demand the riches of freedom and the security of interoperability.
We have also come to this hallowed spot to remind Aviation of the fierce urgency of now. This is no time to engage in the luxury of cooling off or to take the tranquilizing drug of gradualism.
And as we walk, we must make the pledge that we shall march ahead. We cannot turn back. There are those who are asking the devotees of interoperability, "When will you be satisfied?
We can never be satisfied as long as the plane owner is the victim of the unspeakable horrors of proprietary protocol brutality. We can never be satisfied as long as our bodies, heavy with the fatigue of travel, cannot gain tranquility of complete equipment functionality. We can never be satisfied as long as our pilots are stripped of their selfhood and robbed of their dignity by disclaimers stating "works with Garmin only"
No, no, we are not satisfied, and we will not be satisfied until justice rolls down like waters and righteousness like a mighty stream.
I say to you today, my friends, so even though we face the difficulties of today and tomorrow, I still have a dream. It is a dream deeply rooted in the American dream. I have a dream that one day the FAA will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed: "We hold these truths to be self-evident; that all manufactures are created equal." I have a dream that one day on the red hills of Georgia the sons of former Mooney owners and the sons of former Bonanza owners will be able to sit down together at the table of brotherhood. I have a dream that one day even the state of Kansas, a state sweltering with the heat of manufacture injustice, sweltering with the heat of oppression, will be transformed into an oasis of freedom and justice

My God..he is right!Im a manacled,crippled innocent victim of corp opteo rectumism....my eyes suffer from red xed ,wallet draining search for the perfect glass portrait to a fog shrouded world.Meanwhile I suffer from the pangs of spousal abuse trying to avoid terminal cloudist granitomala,l am plagued by a flying steed trying to commit mayhem upon this aviators fragile body.I yearn for the peaceful flow of ones and zeros reaching common understanding which is the right of all copper traveling denizens!My heart crys out to the cosmos,asking "why! Why!..why me?"The universe answers  backwith a steely cold silence as deep as  my ex mother in law!I prey for relief!........

5 hours ago, AviSimpson said:

Does  your 182 have a garmin gal 69a and does weather function ok with your software level?My last test showed red x appearing even when aircraft stationary in hanger didn't need to be taxiing 

1 hour ago, thinwing said:

Better yet..have Avadyne senior staff call me at nine one six seven nine nine 3695.....regards kpc

Could we please spell Avidyne correctly so later on when someone does a search of "Avidyne" all the content in this thread comes up?

• Like 2

On 6/2/2017 at 0:04 AM, thinwing said:

Yikes ,ok my prob is small...my RSO refuses to launch with the big red X....she has done this a lot ,is very smart ,so I can't bull shit her and tell her "oh it will come back on line on takeoff"cause she is looking at a wall of grey!She basically says f##k this rodeo ,I'm not playing!You are nuts to trust a bunch of code writers that don't personally have their asses on the line...that's the woman I married...what can I say!

You need to keep that one!  she sounds awesome.....

8 hours ago, thinwing said:

There answer to my tech is negative on both requests!

Not good. What do they want you to do?  Personally I'd just buy a used 530w asap and get up in the air and dump it when they figure the problem out. Then EVERY single day of Oshkosh I would express to them the importance of having backup units for their customers...

They have hundreds of used Garmin units being passed through to their resellers just distribute a few to customers like you. 

NOT impressed. 

This solidifies my opinion that Avidyne is going after the masses trying to replace all the 430's, they are not ready or able to satisfy the customers with high end panels. PLEASE Avidyne, prove me wrong.  

• Like 1

I got an email from Jerry who had the same problem..his unit is only three weeks old ...he was assured by sales staff that the IFD would function with the G500....He tells me to seek help from regional Avidyne manager.He also says he will seek a refund if not corrected pretty soon.One thing..I cannot wait 6 months or a year for 10.21...Not sure if buying a used 530w will cure...because the second Avidyne will still be outputting its "code".Avisimpson is the only one with any real help..He suggests but is careful not to recommend reverting the software level of my G500 back two earlier levels....it will compromise some functions of the G500 but if it works will restore the AI.It appears I will have to pay my shop for all the diagnostics plus the software change on the g500.Also config and data base on g500 plus any reverted software on the other Garmin units now talking to it with current software.

7 hours ago, Godfather said:

Your 500 was not working with the older software so I'm not sure what form of bs Avidyne is trying to use blame Garmin for this.  Might be a good time to buy a nice 750 ;) ...both sell for around 12.5 used if you can find one. 

750 out no room in panel...7.00 was working with 10.10....but not 10.2..,,they tested 10.2 with 6.21 and claim no issues...