Another Mooney Down N3386X

N33GG

I've landed there a couple of times. Once it was in a rented Cherokee. After returning the Cherokee, the next renter (about an hour later) ran off the end of this runway and tore the wings off the plane. So mine was the last successful landing in that particular plane.

It might be this hapless homeowner's fence that absorbed the brunt of impact (red arrow)- only house with a fence I can see on Google earth that is just off the runway. If so, he had well over 50% of runway remaining when he lost control and didn't need to rush anything. Based on description of him veering off to left, he was using 34.  Inadequate right rudder for  go around seems a possible contributor, but I'd love to know details when they come out.  It appears his gear was up in a '67 plane, and I'm recalling a previous thread I started based on my being bad at go arounds because I struggle with the J-bar...

Glad there wasn't more lost here than just a plane and a fence.

Capture1.JPG

Of coarse we don't no anything glad no one hurt seems like the flying season begets an increase in accidents. Makes me think about my aborted landing yesterday with my CFI this is serious business pilots lets stay cut in. Remember none of us are exempt.

2 hours ago, DXB said:

It might be this hapless homeowner's fence that absorbed the brunt of impact (red arrow)- only house with a fence I can see on Google earth that is just off the runway. If so, he had well over 50% of runway remaining when he lost control and didn't need to rush anything. Based on description of him veering off to left, he was using 34.  Inadequate right rudder for  go around seems a possible contributor, but I'd love to know details when they come out.  It appears his gear was up in a '67 plane, and I'm recalling a previous thread I started based on my being bad at go arounds because I struggle with the J-bar...

Glad there wasn't more lost here than just a plane and a fence.

Capture1.JPG

Yes, that is where it ended up.  Pictures show the pool and hangar.  Very lucky!  Looks like between the fence posts and both wings, a huge amount of energy was dispersed.

8 hours ago, Ratherbflying said:

Looks like a the owner recently acquired the aircraft:

https://flightaware.com/resources/registration/N3386X

Registered this past March.

That could have been his last 3-year renewal, too. I checked my own, it has a "Last Action" date from my reported change of address last fall.

On May 2, 2016 at 6:05 AM, Hank said:

That could have been his last 3-year renewal, too. I checked my own, it has a "Last Action" date from my reported change of address last fall.

Previous Reg is under a different owner. If there was something like FOD,  a wild animal or a mechanical issue that caused him to veer left, that's one thing. If this was just a matter of RLOC, then this is disturbing. Perhaps he is in the "I don't practice T&Gs in Mooneys" camp. I feel for the pilot; I know how I would feel if I did this.

Just now, steingar said:

My insurer now wants 20 hours dual and 10 solo.  Gee, I wonder why?

Most likely a lack of complex/ retract time in your logbook. The actuaries will base the rates on the accident claims for the make and model, the underwriter will base your dual instruction minimum requirement on your personal history. Keep in mind, these are minimum requirements also, but it is the perfect time to really become proficient with your new to you Mooney with the proper instructor.

• Like 1

I look forward to see the preliminary on this debacle.  Don't be this guy.  Looks like a waste of a perfectly good airplane.  I can hear the saw already.  Glad no one was injured on the ground.  Could have been much worse than a lost airframe...

I flew right seat and noticed a couple of "opportunities" with the pilot I was flying with.  He welcomed input.

I will just say that if you can't maintain directional control of your plane on an aborted landing you might want to be practicing with a CFI or looking at getting out of the flying business.  This "hobby" will kill you AND others if you aren't on your game.

Reality can be a harsh teacher.

Here is the "Trend" I am observing.  Rusty pilot.  Short/narrow runway.  Wind.

Opportunity: When you are rusty you might want to fly out of and into an airport that has a long wide runway.  You might want to fly on a benign wind/weather day until you gain/regain experience.

Putting oil/gas in plane and confirming they ARE there is also a plus.

You may want to fly without someone you care about...and or somebody that is under 250lbs.  You may want to fly with an instructor...

In the long run this can be the CB way to go.  ALL instructors are NOT equal.  Find one that challenges you and is a kick@$$ pilot.

These scenarios are a truth-dart to me.  Hocus Pocus STAY focused.  Or be "That Guy"...

• Like 5

I agree with Nobody (different meaning than "I agree with no one"). After being down South in the land of mile-long runways for a year, it was time to revisit friends in WV at the 3000' strip where I got my license and was based for 7 years. So I found a nearby 3150' strip and visited once--me, the wife and half tanks, just to see if I needed more practice before filling up, loading up and flying 3+ hours. When I found I had no problem, I put the plane away and finished getting ready for the trip.

Last weekend I had another voluntary IPC, just because I've not been inside a cloud since the last Mooney Summit in early October. Foggles with a friend aren't the same as actual, but foggles with a CFII can still help prepare me. So now I'm ready to go. But where to? Hmmm . . .

This is just my way of saying that practice is a good thing. Practice with an instructor is also a good thing. Both can help keep your hiney out of a crack, just be careful when practicing by yourself . . . This may have been a case of practice, we will see when the report comes out.

I remember reading several years ago about someone in a high-powered Mooney losing it like this on a go around, ended up against a tree in someone's back yard. Texas? Gotta know your plane, gotta learn it with a knowledgable instructor, and practice practice practice. 

Edited by Hank
  • Like 2

Geez that's scary.  We almost bought that plane back back in August, however we walked because there were, too many issues during the pre buy.  Sad to see it end up like that.  I hope the new owner had appropriate training.

• Like 1

My brother and I owned this plane until about 7 months ago. (Hi John...sorry the purchase didn't work out for you.) I bumped across this thread and had to comment. We had the plane for about 3 years before selling it to get a Cirrus. It was a nice flying plane with nicely updated avionics, but like any 50 year old Mooney, it had its quirks including a few oil leaks and previous damage history. The man that bought it was an optomologist who spent time between WA and AZ. His father-in-law lived at Airpark Dallas and he was, no doubt, there for a visit. He purchased this plane because he had recently had a gear-up landing in another plane. He confessed that it wasn't his first one either. He wasn't sure if he was even going to try to get insurance, he said. So, let's just say he might be hard on airplanes. That said, I'm glad he walked away from it with nothing hurt but his pride and old N3386X. One article I read said he landed but felt he was coming in too fast and attempted a go-around. I guess he lost directional control and veered off the runway. Hopefully it wasnt the farher-in-law's yard he crashed into. That would be an embarrassing way to visit your relatives.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg