Do you still practice VOR approaches?

MooneyBob

I did practice them two weeks ago under the hood. In Canada we have a requirement to have a backup system in case of a failure of the primary equipment. In my case, it is a Narco with glide slope so I could shoot an ILS, Localizer or VOR approach if my GPS goes berserk.

During my IFR flight test 4 years ago, the Cessna rental I used had a GPS failure just as we started the enroute phase. We lost all satellites. I reverted back to VOR navigation with the backup system and this took care of showing equipment failure proficiency #1.

A week later, I was informed that the GPS antenna connector had failed on us. Another reason to ensure you are proficient with ground based equipment such as VOR would be localized EMI issue or system wide events that could prevent satellite reception. Something as simple as an electrical issue could also knock off the unit.

Yves

Yes, it is the only approach into my home airport. I do have the GPS overlay running as a reference in case I see a lot of oscillations of the VOR signal. Although not legal to fly, the GPS overlay shows the intended course.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I,practice them. I've met few pilots since my move, and the new job absorbs way too much time, so I just did an IPC. Three airports, four approaches: VOR-A, ILS, VOR, GPS. Practiced a little and knocked some rust off while learning my new power settings, all 2" less MP due to carb heat box rebuild and more restoration of the doghouse.

Yes.

I practice ILS just about every time I get a practice in, about once per month. I practice VOR approaches not quite as often but still I do.  And I practice RNAV since that is half of what I get live - since that is what I have at home.

Sometimes when I am enroute and it is quite - nothing going on, I practice locating my position on the IFR charts by reference to VORs enroute.

Logic: exercises the equipment as much as the brain.

Other possibility: tuning nav radio for a VOR and GPS on the same approach at the same time...

You log one approach, get the extra cognitive challenge, and exercise the equipment pretty well.

Do we have any ADF approaches left?

Best regards,

-a-

No.  Not in my Mooney.

Most of the VOR and VOR/DME approaches near me have gone NA, or completely dropped out of the system, replaced by GPS/RNAV approaches.

I do keep my VOR checks current/logged.....just in case.

I tend to practice VOR, NDB, localizer back course, etc. which I can fly close by me. Flying a GPS or ILS isn't all that tough and so I find working some of the more esoteric stuff just improves everything. What we practice most is whomever is the safety pilot giving bizarre enroute holds, routings, etc. to really mess the PF up and the loser buys lunch. Nothing like being told hold 237 radial of VOR XYZ at 10 DME with right turns, 5 NM legs and as soon as you start to enter the hold told to fly instead to intersection XYZ and do something even more bizarre. I find it better practice and to be honest a lot more fun. We record the ground track and discuss over lunch.

I sometimes complete xc flights with no the GPS at all purely for practice. We still have many VOR approaches in my neighborhood.  The genesis of this was showing up to the airport with a dead iPad (not centered on the charging block).  It was actually a lot of fun. Although with all of the ridiculous airspace issues near my drome, can be a bit unnerving.  Tracking a VOR in a strong wind on a bumpy day is a skill that can atrophy if not practiced.

• Like 1

Ross I enjoy a good airways cross country each year as well and love doing it with paper charts. Love sitting down and highlighting the route, figuring out all the ground speeds for each leg with an E6B, etc. To me it isn't just practice but so much fun. Then sitting in the plane doing ground speed checks with a stop watch and radials. Good times!

• Like 2

Massochists. :)

Haha 90% of my flying is ten seconds off the ground the autopilot goes on and stays on till ten seconds prior to landing, lots of GPS's in the middle. Believe me I am all about easy. My lazy 8's are acceptable and maybe to some being air show perfect on those is what excites them about aviation. For me though it is all about the mental challenge and everyday I learn or discover some new thing about aviation, there just isn't anything more really to learn about stick and rudder.

• Like 1

No.  Not in my Mooney.

Most of the VOR and VOR/DME approaches near me have gone NA, or completely dropped out of the system, replaced by GPS/RNAV approaches.

I do keep my VOR checks current/logged.....just in case.

Head south a little. They are alive and active at PIM, LGC and CSG. Bonus: LaGrange & Columbus have crosswind runways, so you can practice on all four ends at each.

Head south a little. They are alive and active at PIM, LGC and CSG. Bonus: LaGrange & Columbus have crosswind runways, so you can practice on all four ends at each.

:lol: Yeah.  I avoid those complicated airports like the plague!   :lol:

I get tortured with "archaic approaches" in the sim waaay more than I like.  When I can do GPS, I do GPS.   B)

Wait until you try the "home-brew" GPS to our grass field!  (In severe clear weather, only!)

• Like 1

Yes I do, the as stated the Ils approaches are the easiest, found some weird approaches going to Kentucky last yr., offset localizer to minimums when the wx., was to be 1000and 4, on 4mile final and had approach control turn me 90 degrees to right and hold at a specified fix only to be put in a 360 on next approach, I was going to the pga and I assume the jet traffic for some reason took precedence took about 45 minutes to actually complete the approach after all these changes in hard Ifr,nth pilot with me was losing it and I nicely had to tell him to keep quiet and be cool. These are the reasons we need to keep practicing just for the unforeseen..now flying season is starting for me I need to get the rust off me and my Bravo and get sharp again..it's great to just fly to different airports and practice approaches you never do..I also go up to about 6000 ft and pretend I'm at ground level and practice until it gets comfortable if that's possible..

The only "requirement" for it might be if you have a VOR and are taking an instrument practical test or have a CFII who insists on it for an IPC. There's not too much reason to use one these days except for a few airports that do not have a "better" GPS approach to the same runway. And I'm not too worried about those since, they tend to be pretty straightforward procedural and, well, I can still use the GPS or a tablet to maintain situational awareness.

Checking my logbook, my last practice VOR approach was in May 2010. 

• Like 2

Absolutely. The two alternates to my home airport have ILS, VOR and GPS approaches. I have never had a RAIM failure, but I have had my GPS "hiccup" enroute and was glad when it decided to play right again.

So besides shooting an ILS/VOR with your GPS, anybody still practice approaches with just a NAV/COM - the infamous NAV2 -  and CDI w/ or w/out GS?

John

As I said, I don't see much reason to fly VOR (or NDB, or BC) approaches in my area.  On the other hand, I see lots of value in flying ILS approaches.  Especially if you loose the GS (real or simulated).  But when it comes down to real IFR, I much prefer a LPV approach.