What kind of Mooney did you start out on?

201er

First Mooney  

97 members have voted

1. 1. What was your first Mooney?

• M20A/B
    • M20C/D
    • M20E
    • M20F/G
    • M20J
    • M20K
    • M20M
    • M20R
    • M20TN
    • Other (M10, M18, M22, etc)

I'd like to say that I prophesied the drop in oil/gas prices and that's what drove me from the J to the Ovation, but that would be a lie. It was all about a primal urge for more nasty, bad-ass speed!

;)

I had sold my C-172 thirty or so years ago, having had a nice offer by somebody who would take good care of it, and THEN realized the stupid FBO wouldn't let its identical 172 leave the state, even with standard hourly minimum and no competition on the schedule.  I was, however, welcome to fly it all day long in the pattern or to the other corner of the state for a weekend.  I fumed. And bought an airline ticket for my emergency trip the following week. Then a friend called and offered me 1/4 of his beautiful Mooney 231, for less than what the Cessna had sold for. They were superb pilots, excellent mentors, and loved washing and polishing it on a Sunday morning. How I miss them! I gradually, over the years, bought their shares as they found more expensive hobbies, and I've owned it ever since. Now all I need to do is find another such congenial partner who loves washing Mooneys.

• Like 2

My first plane was a 1965 172. It was a 100 kt plane. It took about one year and I was ready for more speed. I found a M20F for rent and got 10 hours of dual. Then the search began. I ended up with a 231, but I probably would have been happy with any model that had an auto pilot and decent radios.

My first plane was a glider. 3 years later I started flying power planes (if you can call a 152 a power plane :huh:) and we soon bought a Cherokee 140. When I bought the Cherokee I knew I wanted a Mooney. Six years later and knowing every J model for sale in the US I found a great J 50 miles from my home drone. It was an excellent airplane and I miss the fuel burn terribly :( since In moved to a Bravo. The Bravo is a great airplane and satisfies or exceeds every reason I moved to it (except the fuel burn :o).

C ---> R

The first 15 years of Mooney ownership...

Y2K, I originally wanted a J, but couldn't afford an F. (Two kids in day care)

Got and ran out a C instead...

Looked at Js again in 2009 found a nice missile while the economy was sagging... (Everything went on sale)

Went with the R because the economy crumbled that deeply.

Sometimes life throws you a curveball, sometimes it is right over the plate...

I am looking forward to the next 15 years,

-a-

First plane was a 1980 Piper Archer II. Nice starter plane for aircraft ownership. That was in 1999.

Couldn't get over the Sierras and Rockies with enough spare altitude for my tastes, so I traded it for a 1998 Encore in 2000.

Traded the Encore for a 2008 TN in 2011 to get more speed and range. Love the TN!

I joined Flyers of Nashville with a fresh ticket earned in a C150. The club had a Cherokee 140 and a new M20E which I flew more than any of the other 19 members. 8 years later I bought an E of my own. I have never "moved up" the alphabet.  

I'm still enjoying myself in my C. Bought half of it five weeks after my PPL checkride, then the other half a few years later.

It's been almost eight pretty good years, and we've had little need for anything else. Sometimes I look at the faster models and think about it; then I think about the hassle of sale, purchase and new-owner stuff, training, etc., then get smacked by the higher fuel burn all of the time, just to be able to go a smidgen higher, faster and further.

Looks like we're in this for the long run! And I say "we" because my wife is a frequent, happy passenger. Need to find a pinch hitter class, though, as the book I got her didn't do much good laying on the floor.

• Like 1

My first Mooney is my young Green Lady M20F built in 1966. She fell in love with me (and vice versa) and I cannot imagine to ever go for another aircraft... - well, romances maybe and some one-night-stands but nothing serious... B)

Owned half a 172 with my brother, years later a 64E, then a 66E. Sold the E for a Comanche 400, in the vein of never too many plane I have an RV4 for fun and am working on the M18 Mite for real back to basics fun, and still on the first wife who indulges all of my insanity!

Clarence

I did my PPL checkride in a 172 in May 2002. Because I got very busy afterward, I didn't step into an airplane again for another 6 years. After doing a Flight Review in 2008, I stepped up to renting 182s and a 182RG. With the 182, finally I was flying something that you could actually travel in. I did my Instrument rating in 2009 and kept using the 182RG for traveling but about this time I was looking to own. I was in Denver at the time and given that the first thing that I ever did on a trip was to climb over giant mountains, I started looking for something with a turbo. I got my 1981 K model early in 2011 and am very satisfied. It would be pretty difficult to find a better combo of speed, performance, and efficiency.

Dave

After going trough the PPL training on the C172 that had seen much better days from the flight school, I leased a Beech Sundowner C23 for 1 year, then the oppertunity came to partner into my current Mooney Rocket... oh I love the rocket... Not sure what my next plane would be, but it can't be anything slower than the Rocket, I love that speed too much !!!

If I can dream, then maybe something with a PT6 or Jet :) dream on...

• Like 1