Who uses MyFlightBook?

ryoder

I use it also. Among other things I like the fact that it has an updatable Excel spreadsheet so you can keep a copy locally. I also opted into the pay option (something I kept recommending he do so I could support the work),  so I have an updated copy every day in my Dropbox.

I do maintain a backup (also electronic) but MyFlightBoolk has become my primary logbook, except for endorsements — the only thing I still have put in my paper logbook.

I've been using LogTen Pro for about 3 years. It's a decent product but constructed with a different organizational thought process than I would have used. Also, you have to have a Mac to use a desktop interface. I don't have a Mac and I'm not buying one for an electronic logbook. Doing everything on an iPad kind of sucks - I can't think of a better way to state that.

Last October the manufacturer, Coradine, introduced a subscription pricing model of $80/year and an up front cost of somewhere around $80-$90 even for existing users. The user community pretty much told Coradine to drop dead. Coradine dropped the entry price and the annual subscription but the user community puked again. If you read the reviews in the app store, you'll see all this for yourself. Reviews also stated that Coradine has a history of promising "lifetime support" and dropping the support when an update comes out.

When I saw this post last week I started looking into MyFlightBook. Here's what I found:

Pro's

• It's available in web format for Windows or Mac as well as iPad, iPhone and Android apps
  • Very automated on phones and tablets - logs flight takeoff time, departure airport, destination airport and landing time automatically
  • Tap of the screen sets engine start time and engine shutdown time
  • Easy to use
  • This app is FREE on all platforms
  • Backups can be saved locally as frequently as you want and can be automatically saved to a drop box account for a $25 "donation".
  • Imports are easier to do because there are less fields (Not as laden with potential data fields).

Con's

• Data is stored in the manufacturers cloud. If you don't have a data connection in the plane you can save flights locally and they will be uploaded to the cloud when data connection is available
  • App's and reporting aren't as pretty as LogTen Pro but I think that may get better as it gets developed more.

So far I am VERY impressed with this app. I'm using it parallel to the old version of LogTen Pro for a month or so but I'll switch completely if all goes well.

Good to hear you like it. You can add more fields to the ui. Like approaches and holds flown etc. I like how it gives reports on my ratings progress. The bar graphs on each aeronautical experience element of a rating are easy to understand at a glance and are motivational.

I started using myflightbook.com last year and have slowly added in my last three years of flying.  It's free, has the app and paper mode, and has helped me quickly grab totals when needed (life insurance and aircraft insurance).   As a bonus, it's fun remembering previous flights when entering them in.

I'll post the link to the thread of electronic flight books that we discussed at length last year.

-Seth

Here is the link:

http://mooneyspace.com/topic/12453-electronic-flight-log-books/

It was a well responded to thread with good opinions.  There was also a poll with how many of us used electronic flight books, how many didn't (and never would), how many didn't but wanted to, and how many used both.

-Seth

• 1 year later...

My MEI introduced me to  MyFlightBook. I exported my logbook pro to it... I added a bunch of aircraft to the pool... although we did have some discussions about aircraft identification.

I gave up logging C-172N, C-172H, C-172SP I just use the ICAO ATC recognized identifier C172. So those aircraft that had been previously entered got reverted to the original settings..

12 hours ago, cleatus99 said:

My MEI introduced me to  MyFlightBook. I exported my logbook pro to it... I added a bunch of aircraft to the pool... although we did have some discussions about aircraft identification.

I gave up logging C-172N, C-172H, C-172SP I just use the ICAO ATC recognized identifier C172. So those aircraft that had been previously entered got reverted to the original settings..

You may discover someone else sends them back to the N, H, S, etc model designations. I see that pretty often., especially people who insist on the non-existent Cessna 172SP designation. I've been using MyFlightBook since almost its beginning and learned very early on that, so long as the model designation doesn't change such things as whether it is complex, HP, tailwheel, etc, messing with them is a complete waste of time.

I use LogTen, which is on my iPad not over the Internet.  But I also keep the same hard copy log I have for many years.  I deal with tech in my business.  You learn the hard way not to let someone else have custody of important data.  They go out of business, they change format and find a way to charge you a lot more and you can't move, etc.  The iPad is a handy way to note the hours at the end of the flight, because I have the iPad right there, and the software also does not make math errors like I do after arriving home at midnite, but it always, always goes into the paper log.  The cost of that data in terms of buying airplane, maintenance, fuel and oil, hotels, customs fees, etc. is probably in the low six figures at this point.  No way does an online company get to be the sole keeper.

1 hour ago, jlunseth said:

I use LogTen, which is on my iPad not over the Internet.  But I also keep the same hard copy log I have for many years.  I deal with tech in my business.  You learn the hard way not to let someone else have custody of important data.  They go out of business, they change format and find a way to charge you a lot more and you can't move, etc.  The iPad is a handy way to note the hours at the end of the flight, because I have the iPad right there, and the software also does not make math errors like I do after arriving home at midnite, but it always, always goes into the paper log.  The cost of that data in terms of buying airplane, maintenance, fuel and oil, hotels, customs fees, etc. is probably in the low six figures at this point.  No way does an online company get to be the sole keeper.

I agree my original log book works just fine along with my second log book.  I have used the same interface platform and operating system  for the last 30 years.:D

I do not prefer to have things in the cloud other than my plane and then only nice smooth ones.  I fly about 6 to 10 hours a month over about 3 to 7 flights in several different aircraft it is not that difficult to keep the old fashion way with pen and paper.

• 3 weeks later...

Garmin pilot for me..when they added logbook function ,l really appreciated the automatic entries,instrument currency and vfr currency functions,night logging etc..all popping up after every flight the iPad is aboard.Since Garmin pilot is also talking to the 530 waas via 210 flight stream..I have very little data to input..

• Like 1

On 11/3/2016 at 9:33 AM, Hyett6420 said:

A few years back i was a CIO, now i just play and am semi retired.  However i would never ever put my importsnt data on someone elses server, somewhere i dont know and cant access and physically remove the DASD from.  I have always used a paper log book and sorry i will continue to do so.  It just makes sense.  Ps putting all those hours into electronic form would kill my brain!  

Andrew

It's one of the reasons I like and donate to MyFlightBook, even though I've used an eLog of my own design for about 20 years (yes, started with a DOS database). As an unpaid user, you can download the data in a usable format whenever you want, even as a dynamic Excel spreadsheet. As a contributor, it is automatically uploaded to your DropBox nightly.

Don't be sorry about continuing to use paper. Personally, I gave it up a few years ago except for dual and other endorsements that need to be signed by others.  But media choices are personal and I don't see any reason for someone not to continue to use paper, although extracting and calculating data might be a database plus.

• Like 1