Today's flight

bonal

Yes it was a terrible accident. They spun upright on the ground for what seemed like minutes. The fireman had to sit there and watch helplessly and of course the 2 on board where stuck. 

Come on out to San Diego! I'll trade you a day of offshore fishing for a day of Iowa Pheasant hunting!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kmyfm20s said:

Yes it was a terrible accident. They spun upright on the ground for what seemed like minutes. The fireman had to sit there and watch helplessly and of course the 2 on board where stuck. 

Come on out to San Diego! I'll trade you a day of offshore fishing for a day of Iowa Pheasant hunting!

Wisconsin Grouse and Woodcock even more fun :)  That would be awesome!  I could probably provide some chum...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kmyfm20s said:

Just to be clear I liked the offer not the poor soul's spinning in their bird...

Flew from Reno down to Half Moon Bay (with a stop in Cameron Park). Before we headed South down the coast, we did a quick bay tour at 800'. Visibility was extraordinary everywhere. From over the top of Sacramento, we could see clear to the Pacific Ocean, and North to Mt. Shasta! No fog anywhere to be found. Transient parking at KHAF was EMPTY on the south side of the airport - I couldn't believe it! Got some fresh Fish/Chips/Calamari and Barbara's Fish Trap, and then headed home. Great day!

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 4

We had a nice, smooth flight last night, departing late while watching weather to make sure the fog In Fayetteville, NC, was going to clear up as forecast. Only saw a long, narrow river of fog NE of Columbia. Made most of our descent just in the yellow, between 175-180 mph.

Who said it takes a J to cruise at 201 mph? Check out my C . . .image.thumb.jpg.ec0e540a5e401438cf5ef542

• Like 4

Dyersburg TN to Jack Edwards for a birthday lunch for my dad (He turned 75 this week). Great day. Plane flew great, weather was sunny and 72 and lunch was excellent.. Nothing like being able to go to LuLu's and back home the same day. About 2.3 hrs each way.    DYR-JKA   Left at 8:30 and back home to Tennessee by 4 pm.

Dad BDay to GS.jpg

• Like 2

Got to do some flying today. WLW (shopping) then another hop to VCB (more shopping) parked next to another Mooney that landed a few minutes ahead of us but did not get to meet its owner. This trip would have been 5 hours by automobile took 1:15 buy Mooney. I sure do love flying my little 20C. Thanksgiving we had to drive and I realized it was the first time since Christmas that I drove anywhere more than an hour away.

• Like 1

We flew to St. Thomas, USVI (TIST) last week. Although we had several fuel stops planned if needed, we were able to make it nonstop. A mere 5:48, but we spent some time avoiding thunderstorms when we were leaving Ft. Lauderdale. Landing fee was $10, parking $10/night, both going to the airport authority. $25 facility fee waived with avgas purchase ($6.75/gal).

After sailing in the Virgin Islands, we flew to Aguadilla, PR (TJBQ) to clear customs, (fuel $6.50 cash, $6.75 credit card; call ahead to avoid facility fee at Western Aviation), then back to Ft. Lauderdale. We were aware of thunderstorms around Grand Turk, and listened as everyone wanted FL 360 and higher, and deviations for weather. Many thanks to the Delta pilot who told us what his radar was showing as we approached Providentiales. We were welcomed home with LLWS and winds 060 17G35.

En route, Crooked Island: image.thumb.jpg.bc4c1c2a27bb73dc0f617631

St. Thomas, approach to RWY 10 TISTimage.thumb.jpg.b68a2ede626ea98584028a4c 

A few pictures of the Virgin Islands:image.thumb.jpg.4ea0150c5316ed8a9323451a

image.thumb.jpg.3393d48e094feb000351e16b

image.thumb.jpg.2b060c2ba129b3e488a13f8b

Sunset over St Thomas: image.thumb.jpg.d9869a1cb53a6cd04e83532c

• Like 8

1 hour ago, daver328 said:

Hey David M, 

We better stop posting screen shots of ForeFlight showing ground speeds of above 140 knots. According to the "E crowd" if we ever go faster than than 135 in a C  ... it must be a tailwind! 

You mean this panel shot of my C in cruise can upset J owners?  :D

20151119_204840.jpg

• Like 2

Gol-leee, Dave, your C is thirsty! I tried WOT, 2500 and used ~2 gph more than when I pull the throttle back just enough to move the MP needle, then set 2500 and lean. This was cruising round trip at 9000/10,000 msl, followed by another trip at the same altitudes. First trip was 2.7 hours and 27 gallons, return was 3.5 hours and 37 gallons; second trip was 2.2 hours, 18.6 gallons, returned in 2.1 and didn't top off but used about the same by my dipsticks.

There is virtually no speed penalty, but boy does the range go up!  ;)

47 minutes ago, MyNameIsNobody said:

You are indicating just over 125 knots....sooooo, NO.  I am not offended.  Looks about right ;)

At 9000 msl, 142 mph Indicated + ( 2% x 9 ) = 167.5 mph = 145.5 knots True.

Sounds right for a good C.  :)

• Like 1

nothing too fancy for a destination but still a lot of fun.  Hank and I flew up to Gus' (aka mooneymite) place in Locust Grove.  Great day to meet up and get some Mexican food at a local restaurant with the wives.  Gus is one of those lucky folk that lives next to his plane on a grass strip.

• Like 1

On December 12, 2015 at 6:46 PM, Hank said:

You mean this panel shot of my C in cruise can upset J owners?  :D

20151119_204840.jpg

You are indicating just over 125 knots....sooooo, NO.  I am not offended.  Looks about right ;)

9 hours ago, daver328 said:

Hank, 

Your numbers put you at 10 gph more or less. I do pull the throttle back enough to close that enrichment feature. And I tried 2500 this trip after reading the references to Bob Kromer's assertion that the our engines seem to perform better at 2500RPM with little to no increase in fuel consumption. Also Bob made the statement about 15when speaking of the fuel injected Es and Js

I'll need to keep records, but I am getting data that makes me think there is a hit in fuel economy cruising at 2500 RPM versus 2300RPM. I was burning 10.0-10.4 gph at 2300 (and it was quieter) than 10.5-11.0 at 2500? 

I think the PowerFlow exhaust and Challenger Intake we installed causes more burn for the increased power. Their required placarding states as much. We always run at 100° ROP.

Since you C guys are into quoting Kromer, why not put in the quote when he is doing climb and cruise in the various models specifically comparing the C & E.  What does the test pilot say?  What plane would he rather fly?  

More C's out there than E's.  I am certain it is because they were/are the better plane given the choice between both.

6 hours ago, kmyfm20s said:

Today was yet another day made possible by Mooney! Left the house at 5am and back home at 5pm. The last storm that came through California laid down some awesome snow for a great day skiing. In this picture I'm standing at 11,053' and not flying.

image.thumb.jpeg.2fa87e8484586123cb319e6

Just curious, when you fly into MMH, how are do you get from the airport up to the resort? Do you bring your own gear or rent?

5 hours ago, xrs135 said:

Just curious, when you fly into MMH, how are do you get from the airport up to the resort? Do you bring your own gear or rent?

I have access to a friends Hangar and car. When that's not available I have used taxi, shuttles, and rental cars. If it's just 1 person shuttle is the most economical, 2 or more then look into taxi or rental. If your going just for the day taxi or shuttle are the most convent because they drop off and pick at the slope. No walking or mountian shuttle to the car. You can rent equipment at the slope around $45. I usually bring my own but I have been demoing new ski's which I do at the slope. If there are any other Mooney skiers out there  I can give a heads up before I go and join in the fun. I always try to do day trip during the week that way I can get enough runs in by 2pm to burn up my legs and want to go home. Call Hot Creek Aviation the FBO and they are helpful. Gas prices are really reasonable for a mountian resort so I always get fuel when I'm there.

• Like 1