JPI 830 UPGRADE ETC

Good day to you all, especially those who are exploring the virtues of meaningful panel upgrades. I bit the bullet and traded in  my JPI 700 with fuel flow for  the new JPI 830. I added oil temp, oil pressure, MAP and RPM.  Well it has certainly been a learn curve for me with the manual setting up  all the parameters for my particular Mooney. Either I am becoming slowly demented with age or the manual was written by a techy with no idea who he was writing it for. Nonetheless, I am gradually getting it programmed to do what it is supposed to do. The three flights with it so far tell me I made the right move in getting this upgrade as it  operates like you have the inside track on what the engine is doing at all times.From the pics you will notice I also panel mounted my portable Garmin which also made it considerably more user friendly  given its location on the panel. To mount it there I reluctantly removed my working ADF. but having done so with 3 GPS units aboard I think I am covered.

When I reflect on all the possible upgrades out there now which simply boggles my imagination  such as the Aspen Suites  I think the engine monitoring system is perhaps the most important one to have.

For those of you who have already upgraded I would be keen to know what you have experienced as a result. 

Look forward to any and all comments

Flyin Phil

post-593-13468138327433_thumb.jpg

post-593-13468138327941_thumb.jpg

post-593-1346813832807_thumb.jpg

I'm fed up with my EI UBG-16; I've spent a ton of money repairing broken leads, rewiring from the firewall forward, and in two flight hours, doing it all again. So far, 6 different and highly-competent mechanics have had a go at it, some of them two or three times; EI's response is to blame the mechanics. All of them.   Bah!

SO, I have a fine UBG-16- 6-cylinder engine monitor that will be for sale- cheap!!- as soon as I get a JPI monitor installed.  I'll be reading this thread with great interest, as this is the one I'm inclined to go with-- if you'll assure me that the wires are lots sturdier than EI's little copper threads.

I've gotta say, I have a UBG-16 and know of several others that use EI's products. I find them to be top notch. Your report is the first and only negative words I've ever heard about EI, in terms of the quality of the product or the support. I assisted with the install of my UBG and I didn't find the wires to be anything abnormal, they're certainly not "little". I have had zero problems out of my system and would highly recommend it. In fact, last annual I added the volt/amp module to my UBG and the EI folks were great to work with, even building me a custom shunt and overnighting it at minimal cost due to my mistake.

I installed an EDM 800 in 2001 and upgraded to the 830 in 2010. Never had any problems with the probes, even those which share space with my Tanis engine warmer. Phil, you're not becoming demented with age, it's the JPI manual!!! I too had trouble weeding through the installation and programming instructions in the manual that also shares information about various other JPI products.  When I initially fired the unit up, there was no evidence of any fuel flow functions. I spent hours going over any connections linked to fuel functions. It was a Saturday afternoon, so no JPI tech support available. On Monday morning I was able to talk to tech support who informed me of something missing from the manual. It was a tiny switch needing to be in a certian position on power up (while simultaneously holding a button down for 3 and 1/2 seconds, chanting EDM 830 and waving a rabbits foot from left to right.:)      Now that it's all ironed out, I'm happy with it. Great product with a less than great supporting manual.

Quote: Mooney65E

I installed an EDM 800 in 2001 and upgraded to the 830 in 2010. Never had any problems with the probes, even those which share space with my Tanis engine warmer. Phil, you're not becoming demented with age, it's the JPI manual!!! I too had trouble weeding through the installation and programming instructions in the manual that also shares information about various other JPI products.

Quote: rob

I've gotta say, I have a UBG-16 and know of several others that use EI's products. I find them to be top notch. Your report is the first and only negative words I've ever heard about EI, in terms of the quality of the product or the support. I assisted with the install of my UBG and I didn't find the wires to be anything abnormal, they're certainly not "little". I have had zero problems out of my system and would highly recommend it. In fact, last annual I added the volt/amp module to my UBG and the EI folks were great to work with, even building me a custom shunt and overnighting it at minimal cost due to my mistake.

I upgraded from the EDM-800 w/Fuel Flow to the EDM-830 about a month ago.  I love the new color display and the fact that you can see more information at a glance.  I'm still trying to figure out how to program adding partial amounts of fuel.   The manual I think is poorly written and confusing.  I saved $300 by purchasing it at Sun & Fun and getting the rebate direct from JPI. 

Hello David

I too am impressed with the color display. It is incredibly clear and uncomplicated! I am still working on the hp parameters so that I can program it. So far I have only done one 2 hour flight for fill up. need to do 2 more. Sounds like going to Sun& Fun was worth it for you. The manual is a nightmare. I must have now read it 4 or 5 times.... and I am still quite uncertain about such issues as EC  (ENGINE CONSTANT). I have programed it for 14.9 not 29.92 but I am not sure that is right. I also need to tweek the MP as the jpi reads approx 100 high. Trial by error for me on this one. If there is any consolation I am getting quite a bit of practice with programming it.

What the manual needs to do is a step by step instruction for how to do the programming as they do with some state of the art computer programs.

Look forward to hearing how it works for you re: rop or lop. I am working on lop right now. I get a fuel flow of approx 9 .2 gal per hr at 24.5 square at 3500 feet here on the West Coast

Regardds

Philip

Philip,

From your description, it sounds like the manifold pressure is calibrated in psi in place of "hg.

A standard atmosphere of pressure is 29.92"hg or 14.7psi.  The number 14.9 that you are using sounds like you are not happy with.  Would 14.7 work better?    (29.92 inHg, 14.696 PSI, 1013.25 millibars)

"A column of air one square inch in cross-section, measured from sea level to the top of the atmosphere, would weigh approximately 14.7 lbf (65 N)."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atmospheric_pressure

Best regards,

-a-

• 7 months later...

Hello all,

I am the proud new owner of a 1982 Mooney M20J!  I have been on the hunt for almost 6 months and finally made a decision.  It has been a long road with many ups and downs along the way.  I almost bought a 1979 model but when I was about to make a move, things with work changed and I thought it was just never going to happen.  While that was going on, I came across a 1982 model and just knew I had to have it no matter what was going on with work.  So here it is a month later and it is finally in my hangar.  When it was going through the pre buy/annual the only thing I really wanted was an engine monitor and the more I looked at prices and installation costs the more just thought it would be better to do everything at once, so I had the JPI 830 installed.  I don't have much time behind it, but it is just phenomenal.  It is so nice to have a secondary indication of all those parameters for that extra warm and fuzzy feeling that everything is running as advertised.  It has the following hooked up to it:

• EGT
  • CHT
  • %HP
  • Fuel Flow information (FF, Required fuel to destination, fuel remaining, alarms, etc.)
  • OAT
  • RPM
  • Manifold Pressure
  • Oil Temperature
  • Oil Pressure
  • Voltage
  • Information on cooling for descent

Just a whole lot of information displayed in a format that is readily available and easy to read.  I love it!!

The only glitch I had with the airplane was when it was being ferried up from Daytona, during the fuel stop the flaps would not retract after being selected full down for landing.  Apparently it was a problem with the limiting switch being out of adjustment.  The local mechanic charged the ferry pilot $10 to fix it and he was on his way again!!  Phew!!  I was hoping it wasn't some expensive fix like a flap motor or anything.

This board has been such a wealth of information from looking for an airplane to troubleshooting the flap problem when the ferry pilot called and told me what was going on.  I was able to quickly look up flap problems on the board and give them some direction to go and what to look for when I came across the posts on the limiting switch!!

What a great community and am so happy to be able to post now with my own airplane.

Cheers to everybody and looking forward to communicating with all of you.

Brett

The EC is the Engine Constant, and depends on the compression ratio (the EC will be between 12 and 15).  You also need to set the rated HP of the engine, and then with the outside/induction temperatures, and the fuel flow, it should be able to work out the HP being generated.  I'm not sure it is sufficiently smart to work out the correct figure when both LOP and ROP though, I think it just does the ROP calculation (maybe someone knows better, or can find out easily?)

Ben