Anybody install a 201 style panel in a Pre J?

Just wondering about the expense to reorganize the panel into something like the 201 has. Leave out the cost of avionics and upgrades, I'm just wondering how much it costs just to clean up the shotgun mess.

Quote: scottfromiowa

I paid .7AMU for my aluminum panel "custom cut-out" and 1AMU to install.  Hendricks did the panel.  He is on Mooney Space and owns an E model with his conversion.  I was/am very pleased with mine.  Scott

I saw Gary's panel while looking through photo albums.  It IS REALLY WELL DONE.  I planned layout and the mods were done on the CAD program and Hendricks cut and engraved the panel.  I had painted (local body shop) and installed (local avionics shop).  The most time consuming aspect was removal of ram air (cable must be removed and pulled through panel to remove) as the panel extends through yoke/rockers.  I was quoted the 1AMU price and although probably took about 15 hours of labor shop stuck with the quote...(I have returned the favor with additional business) and spreading word of the quality of their work in CID.  I'm gald I now have standard six pack.  There are LOTS of nice panel "re-do's on Pre-J models to get idea's on how you can modify.  I have found it very rewarding to see the progress and the "vision" of what you want in the plane for function and look come to fruition...slowly...step by step and AMU by AMULaughing  Again, I wish I would have had MooneySpace while I was searching...and the current market in which to search.  Have fun!

Also call LASAR. They will manufacture & STC (at the very least) the pilot's side panel conversion. My E has that. It pre-dates my ownership... I saw the receipt, don't remember exactly how much but probably < $2K all together. The vast majority of that labor. Like many other things the motivated owner can probably take on the project with appropriate supervision, though it will probably be a labor intensive task.

I paid a total of about $200 for mine--but that was with doing the work myself, and having a friendly A&P sign it off.  Of course, when you add the Nulites, new clock, new tach, etc., it goes up a bit, but the total for the whole project was around 1 AMU.  Picture attached.

post-218-13468138279262_thumb.jpg

I was lucky to have found a Southwest Texas 201 panel mod from  a wreck I bought on Ebay .. I think I paid about 1300 dollars with the strip guage , I invested about 50 hours and about another 15K in used avionics (GNS430,Mx20,SL70,KX165,Sandel 3308,KI204,GEM610,KMA28, But my panel looks like you are in a new Ovation ...  The up side is it is awesome , the down side is I have a 40k Panel in a 40k airplane.. IMG00100-20090727-2023,IMG00099-20090727-2022

post-414-13468138280924_thumb.jpg

post-414-13468138282944_thumb.jpg

In a moment of clarity, I'm starting to understand my disconnect on panel rebuild pricing. When I see people pricing $8-10k for a panel redo, that is for a modern flat panel. The lower costs here are for people just reorganizing the older segmented step panel. I get now that the flat panel requires a whole structural rebuild to accomplish. This has been helpful because I had been budgeting a rough $10k for panel make over based on pricing I had seen for flat panels. I'm fine with doing what people here have done and just fixing up the old step panel. It means I now can budget a little more for something else!Laughing

I think it was mentioned earlier or on another thread, but I'll repeat it just in case...a big variable portion of a panel re-org or update is related to the wiring and plumbing for all of the instruments.  There may or may not be enough "slack" to move things where you might want them, and if not, then you have a significant amount of labor to re-wire or re-plumb as necessary.

Reorganizing the panel is a great idea.  It's priority is just lower than other competing items in the same price range. 

If you only fly one plane, will you notice that it is not "standard".  Won't it be standard to you?

-a-

Quote: carusoam

Reorganizing the panel is a great idea.  It's priority is just lower than other competing items in the same price range. 

If you only fly one plane, will you notice that it is not "standard".  Won't it be standard to you?

-a-

If you need something powder coated, Priority Aviation in Mena AR can do the job.  I believe they charged me $100 to do the right side panel I had made.  They also powder coated the yokes for $125 each - look like new. 

I'll be interested to hear opinions on this myself.  I didn't do anything with the AI, but I did have to adjust the horizon bar up just a little bit.  I haven't gotten around to measuring the panel tilt in level flight--some day...

AIs are set at a specific tilt angle.  When mine crapped out three years ago, I ordered a new one from Spruce and they sent me exactly what I asked for (a zero degree tilt). 

I was wrong.

I took it over to our local avionics shop (Woodlawn in Ottawa, Ontario) and while I watched they changed the tilt it for the tilt I measured with a protractor and plumb bob.  The correct tilt angle is eight degrees.  Calculated that by summing the two measurements.  Using the battery door as the level line, it is two degrees up (back) when at rest and the panel is six degrees forward (also at rest).

Gotta love engineering.

Quote: edgargravel

I took it over to our local avionics shop (Woodlawn in Ottawa, Ontario) and while I watched they changed the tilt it for the tilt I measured with a protractor and plumb bob.

I do not know of a way to measure the tilt of an existing AI, but I watched the engineer at Woodlawn do it.  It involves spinning up the gyros (they have connections on the bench for that) and then tilting the mounting platform and reading a scale on it when the instrument is lined up.  So there are really only two ways to find out, IMO. 

1.    Get it on the piece of paper that comes with the device.  Mine did. And it was what I had asked for. I had just asked for the wrong tilt.

2.  Take it to a shop that has the setup to read it properly.

Quote: DaV8or

In a moment of clarity, I'm starting to understand my disconnect on panel rebuild pricing. When I see people pricing $8-10k for a panel redo, that is for a modern flat panel. The lower costs here are for people just reorganizing the older segmented step panel. I get now that the flat panel requires a whole structural rebuild to accomplish. This has been helpful because I had been budgeting a rough $10k for panel make over based on pricing I had seen for flat panels. I'm fine with doing what people here have done and just fixing up the old step panel. It means I now can budget a little more for something else!Laughing