I'm off for the dreaded 44709 check ride tomorrow!

RocketAviator

Well here goes, I'm off in about an hour for my 709 ride tomorrow morning with the FSDO.  Looking forward to bringing this challenging chapter of my aviation life to an end.  I have been told what to generally expect by the FSDO who is to give me the check ride, but I have also been advised that anything could and usually does happen so we will just have to see.

Tomorrow afternoon I should know if they will let me keep my certificate!

Wish me luck....

Any words of advice from anyone who has ever had the unfortunate experience of having to take a 709 ride would be appreciated!

Fly Safe,

Rocket On!!! (well hopefully.....)

It is always a challenge to find the right interaction with an examiner. Stay on guard, get a feel for how they expect you to respond to them. I think an attitude of confidence and openness but not cocky is the best approach. Remember they know you screwed up, that's why they are there. If you can project the "I am a properly trained, safe and cautious pilot" that just had a bad day, it should be a matter of dotting the Is and crossing the Ts for the examiner. 

Good Luck.

• Like 3

If I remember your situation correctly (before you changed your member name here), it will be an interesting 709. I think admiting the factors that led to the situation would be a good way to approach it. Tom's advice is good; there is a fine line between confidence and arrogance.

Good luck!

It is always a challenge to find the right interaction with an examiner. Stay on guard, get a feel for how they expect you to respond to them. I think an attitude of confidence and openness but not cocky is the best approach. Remember they know you screwed up, that's why they are there. If you can project the "I am a properly trained, safe and cautious pilot" that just had a bad day, it should be a matter of dotting the Is and crossing the Ts for the examiner. 

Good Luck.

I think that's a good approach.

Good Luck.

• You might incorporate whatever you may have learned from your unfortunate experience.  
  • Demonstrate that you have become a better, more thoughtful pilot as a result.
  • Fly well

These things are not the end of the world, just a reality check by the FAA to make sure there is not a loose cannon amongst us. An attitude of self improvement, safety, and adherence to regulations goes a long way for their signature. If your not signed up on www.faasafety.gov, I would suggest you do, and let the examiner know you are signing up for the courses, and plan to stay active with wings activities to foster a safe regime. Good luck Lacee, Im sure you will do fine.

Lacee:  One thing that I have found to help with check rides or proficiency rides (BFR's/IPC's) is to talk through what I am doing. On my instrument check ride the examiner even commented that he liked that I was "letting him know what was going on."

For example, FE says, "Give me a 360 degree steep turn to the right." 

Me:  (I was under the hood) "Three-sixty degree steep to the right.  Have you cleared right for me?"

FE, "You are clear."

Me, "Okay, we are heading one-two-zero, a little rudder and rolling right, 45 degrees, adding a little power, applying back pressure to keep altitude. Trimming to ease pressure. Ninety degrees into turn, correcting altitude a bit. ... Passing through one hundred eighty degrees, adjusting trim.  I'll start rollout with a 30 degree lead, rolling out, rudder,  adjusting trim..." etc.

Use your judgment, but I think this has helped me and I continue to do it when out practicing manuvers by myself.  (I just can't always be point A to point B, not even in the Mooney.)

Carl

• Like 2

Lacee-I agree with previous post. This should not be dreaded, but understood that following such an incident their job is to insure that you are competent and not likely to have a similar occurance. On a gear-up have your checklist out. Examiners want to understand that you are using the checklist during all phases. Agree with the verbal call outs. Physically pointing to gear down and locked and confirmation of lights when down and on short final with verbal call-out. i did one T.O. entered pattern and one LOUSY landing and that was it. Check that box.

Get it done. That's it. Just show them you are P.I.C in an awesome Mooney and will continue to be "improving" your skills. Don't appologize for the incident...just show through your proper competent actions why they can confidently sign-off on you as "SAFE". You will do great! Enjoy the time in your beautiful plane. They ARE NOT looking to find fault, but to vaidate competency. Scott

• Like 1

Thanks everyone not only for the great suggestions and especially all the well wishes.  

So far these are the steps I have taken up to this point, based mainly on some great advice I have gotten from counsel and other great folks in my aviation world.

To be the best prepared for tomorrows flight, I flew with a local CFII specially chosen because he knows the FSDO i'm flying with tomorrow and hopefully would be best to prepare me for this specific FSDO.  I reviewed and brushed up on my POH, edited and put together a specific checklist that is tailored to my specific aircraft and made sure it covered everything the POH called for.  I also decided to fly up to ABQ a day in advance of tomorrows flight and fly the airport pattern in order to polish my skills at the airport the check ride was to take place.  The most important element was to become familiar with this airport, tower, taxi so I was able to concentrate on the task at hand without the added burden of learning the airport at the same time.  Tomorrow we are to meet in the morning at 10:00am MST, a review of my aircraft and the logs by another FSDO to confirm its airworthiness, oral review, then a pre-flight, then a flight which is suppose to consist of basic air work, steep turns, slow flight, stabilized approaches with a couple landings.... and here is the the AND OR other flight review as he sees necessary!!!

I was told to allocate 2 hours for flight time and preflight!

I also wanted to arrive fresh and rested so I decided to get a hotel and get a good nights rest without the added worry of getting up early and having any weather or other issues related to a short time line.

So thats the report up to now. 

Again thanks for all the support, well wishes and great advice.

Will let everyone know how it turns out after tomorrows activity.