KFC200 Trim Switch Needed - And Cost Reality Check

My trim switch stopped working for Up Trim on my trip home after the yokes were removed and cleaned up during the Interior work.  I assumed it was a loose wire they'd fix when it went in for the Annual.  Just heard back that they are saying the switch is bad and it is $2,162.17 for a new switch and $937.18 for a used one. 

I haven't started a search yet, but for anyone that has had to change their Trim Switch, do those prices seem real?  BTW, this is the first time for me with this shop after moving. 

Next question, does anyone know of a source for the part?  I'll start calling around, but never hurts to already have one option if anyone knows of any.

There is no need to spend that much money.

The trim switch, assuming it's the one that looks like this:

https://images.app.goo.gl/NPnsfxHLKxHeZdUTA

Is actually made up of three switches underneath.  Those internal switches can fail, and can be independently replaced.

They are Honeywell 1SX74-T switches and can be purchased for about $35 each from mouser: https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Honeywell/1SX74-T?qs=10P5Hhl%2BD796P7tntVKlzg%3D%3D&countryCode=US&currencyCode=USD

If you look through my thread earlier this year about my autopilot issue (which was just me being too hasty) there are some detailed pictures of the wiring of the switches.   

You can order a replacement switch or two or three, install them, and that should fix your problem.

I'm happy to chat more about this if you want.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, mike_elliott said:

I have a spare one I keep right next to a gold ingot and a vac switch :)

You don't have an intake boot?   Your retirement investment strategy is sorely lacking....  ;)  

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, wombat said:

You don't have an intake boot?   Your retirement investment strategy is sorely lacking....  ;)  

Funny as I had one of those but sent it away with the gent who bought my F. Perhaps a oil pressure sensor and a few turbo vband clamps will fill the obvious void

On 4/17/2024 at 12:07 PM, wombat said:

They are Honeywell 1SX74-T

I got the following info-

From Honeywell data sheet:
Catalog Listing 21SX39-T (MS24547-1)
Mil Spec.: MIL-PRF-8805
Max. Op. Temp: 82°C [180°F]
Electrical data and UL Codes: 7 A
Note: it says that Prefix 21SX is the same as a Prefix 1SX with MIL-approvals

They are a single-pole, double throw switch.   
Normally, pins 1 and 3 are connected together and pin 2 is open.
When depressed, pins 1 and 2 are connected and pin 3 is open.

13 minutes ago, 0TreeLemur said:

I got the following info-

From Honeywell data sheet:
Catalog Listing 21SX39-T (MS24547-1)
Mil Spec.: MIL-PRF-8805
Max. Op. Temp: 82°C [180°F]
Electrical data and UL Codes: 7 A
Note: it says that Prefix 21SX is the same as a Prefix 1SX with MIL-approvals

So if Prefix 21SX is the same as a Prefix 1SX with MIL-approvals, what is the difference between 74-T and 39-T?

Unfortunately those prices are very real.  Back when I still had my KAP 150, my switch failed, and we weren't able to find (at the time) a shop that could fix my switch in a reasonable time frame.  I paid around $1500 I think.  I was told it was a special order item from Honeywell.  I had the Bendix King (Honeywell) 200-2960-00 Pitch Trim Switch.

When I ripped out the whole BK system for my GFC500, I ended up selling the switch on eBay for like $500.

5 minutes ago, Ryan ORL said:

Unfortunately those prices are very real.  Back when I still had my KAP 150, my switch failed, and we weren't able to find (at the time) a shop that could fix my switch in a reasonable time frame.  I paid around $1500 I think.  I was told it was a special order item from Honeywell.  I had the Bendix King (Honeywell) 200-2960-00 Pitch Trim Switch.

When I ripped out the whole BK system for my GFC500, I ended up selling the switch on eBay for like $500.

Did you get the garmin style switch to fit the yoke?  I bought one but the shop had trouble getting it to fit so stuck with the old BK switch.  In my case it was a KFC-225 but I'm pretty sure its the same switch.

1 hour ago, hypertech said:

Did you get the garmin style switch to fit the yoke?  I bought one but the shop had trouble getting it to fit so stuck with the old BK switch.  In my case it was a KFC-225 but I'm pretty sure its the same switch.

Yeah it seems to fit fine, although if they had any trouble with it, I don't know :)

3 hours ago, Ryan ORL said:

Yeah it seems to fit fine, although if they had any trouble with it, I don't know :)

I believe that Garmin uses a Cygnet CA3112-G. I've seen pictures of it on a Beech yoke but not on a Mooney. Do you have a picture of the installation? Thanks.

On 4/19/2024 at 1:56 PM, PT20J said:

I believe that Garmin uses a Cygnet CA3112-G. I've seen pictures of it on a Beech yoke but not on a Mooney. Do you have a picture of the installation? Thanks.

From my Googling, I think it is also a Cygnet CA3112-G.

trimswitchinstall.jpg

• Like 1

Mine was replaced with the Garmin switch during my panel upgrade. If it is in the box with the rest of my assorted left-overs I will be glad to give it to somebone who needs it. I have the entire King 200 including servos.

11 minutes ago, hubcap said:

Mine was replaced with the Garmin switch during my panel upgrade. If it is in the box with the rest of my assorted left-overs I will be glad to give it to somebone who needs it. I have the entire King 200 including servos.

I also have a complete KFC200 system (well it's at the avionics shop with the rest of the airplane).  We installed a Cygnet electric trim switch with the avionics upgrade.  Let me know if you can't find one.

24 minutes ago, Bigdaddie said:

I also have a complete KFC200 system (well it's at the avionics shop with the rest of the airplane).  We installed a Cygnet electric trim switch with the avionics upgrade.  Let me know if you can't find one.

https://www.cygnet-aero.com/trim-switch-ca3112-g

This guy? Says it’s specifically not a replacement for the one that uses the 3 switches, which I believe is what’s being called for here?

Is there another one?

47 minutes ago, natdm said:

https://www.cygnet-aero.com/trim-switch-ca3112-g

This guy? Says it’s specifically not a replacement for the one that uses the 3 switches, which I believe is what’s being called for here?

Is there another one?

The Cygnet switch works with the GFC 500. The BK switch can also be used with the GFC 500 with some rewiring. The Cygnet switch will not work with a BK autopilot.

• Thanks 1

I worshiped King for 30 years. Their stuff was so much better than anyone else's. 40 years ago there you were, KFC-200, KNS-80 flying Great Circle routes across the country. You thought you were a God flying the Space Shuttle. Then they failed to innovate, and let Garmin take over the world. Now they are just scum. Trying to hold up any stagecoach that comes through their area. 

• Haha 1