Mooney for a tall guy in NJ (Tri-State?) area

Ive

On 2/12/2024 at 8:31 PM, Ive said:

Hello Mooney People!

I am brand new here so I apologize in advance if I put this topic in the wrong place. 

The thing is. I am trying to find a perfect XC aircraft for myself and Mooney is really what I like. However, I am pretty tall - 6'6'' and I've never had a chance to actually sit in the cockpit. So the net - net is - I am looking for someone kind enough with the Mooney in NJ or Tri-State asking for a favor of trying to fit-in the cockpit. Is there a chance someone could help me out with that? Any advice is appreciated!

This question is asked often, nearly monthly, on this forum by people who have heard about Mooneys but never been in one or owned one, or perhaps have only been in a Mooney one time. “I’ve never been in one and I just want to sit in one and see what it feels like”, is a common request here. Understandably.

Of the 11,000+ Mooneys that have been produced so far, they have been owned and flown by people of every size, shape, height, complexion and disposition that you could possibly imagine. (Vern Rayburn who came up with the Eclipse Jet flew a nice 252. Whoopi Goldberg bought one of the first Ovations off of the assembly line. NASCAR Driver Matt Kenseth bought one of the first Acclaims. Etc, Etc . . . )

In the 30+ years I’ve been around the community I’ve personally known someone who was 6’10” and someone that was less than 5’ that owned them and flew them well. One long time Mooney owner, pilot and former long-time Mooney service center owner Paul Loewen is in a wheel chair but flew his 252 and virtually every other Mooney model all over the country. I’ve had passengers less than two years old and passengers over 90 years old and every decade of life in between - they all did fine.

Flying, as well as getting in and out of a Mooney or any other GA airplane takes some, but not a lot of, coordination. It also takes some intelligence on what the best way in and out is for you. With as many ways to adjust as there are on the articulating seats, if you want to fly a Mooney, over a series of a few cross country flights you will be able to adjust it to your size and shape and find what works for you. There are also people that crawl in for a minute and say, “This will never work for me.” Thankfully they don’t pursue Mooney ownership. I can only imagine how quickly they would give up while learning how to land the airplane safely.

Generally the back seat folks get in first and it’s not difficult to get in the back seats in the mid body or long body - just make sure the front right seat is far forward before you climb in. If you’re the first one in the front seats, stand on the wing walk, grab the center post, or the grab handle, put your feet in and sit down then slide over to the left seat. If you’re in the right seat grab the center post, or grab handle, put your feet in and sit down.

With almost anything worthwhile, those who say it can’t be done are usually interrupted by others doing it. There is no perfect airplane, but for me, a Mooney checks more boxes than anything in the price category - and that applies to a C model compared to anything you can buy in that price range, and applies the way up through the Acclaim and anything else in that price range. Others’ opinions may vary.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Ive said:

Hello Mooney People!

I am brand new here so I apologize in advance if I put this topic in the wrong place. 

The thing is. I am trying to find a perfect XC aircraft for myself and Mooney is really what I like. However, I am pretty tall - 6'6'' and I've never had a chance to actually sit in the cockpit. So the net - net is - I am looking for someone kind enough with the Mooney in NJ or Tri-State asking for a favor of trying to fit-in the cockpit. Is there a chance someone could help me out with that? Any advice is appreciated!

I’m in Delaware and have an acclaim you could check out

D

• Like 3

On 2/12/2024 at 9:31 PM, Ive said:

Hello Mooney People!

I am 6'4'' 222 - I chose Mooney in part for the excellent leg room.  By the way - I had a shop make an extra hole for me in the seat rails of the pilot seat so my seat goes back a little further.

• Like 3

It’s all about inseam. I’m not quite  6’ and have a 31” inseam. That puts me in the first seat notch back from full forward. It also gives my rear passenger more leg room than a lot of commercial flights. I think the seat will accommodate inseams in excess of 37”.

It’s not a graceful plane for almost any sized adult as far as ingress and egress go, but the door is large enough for and located so that any one that can get in can scramble out.

It’s not an easy plane for the infirm or mobility challenged elderly, but few are.

16 hours ago, LANCECASPER said:

All Ovations (and Bravos and Acclaims) have fully articulating seats. Basically all Mooneys, including J’s, should have them from 1988-ish and forward I believe.

My 1986 M20K 252 has them.

2 minutes ago, Pinecone said:

My 1986 M20K 252 has them.

Good point - the 252 was the flagship then.  I think all of the 252 upgrades like the rounded windows, 24v system, articulating seats, electric cowl flaps showed up with the 205 in 1988 on the J model

16 hours ago, LANCECASPER said:

One long time Mooney owner, pilot and former long-time Mooney service center owner Paul Loewen is in a wheel chair but flew his 252 and virtually every other Mooney model all over the country.

Anybody know how he got in and out?  Or have contact info for him?

My Dad just turned 97.  He is a former Naval Aviator and is probably more into my having my Mooney than I am.  I would love to take him for a ride, but can't figure out how to get him in and out.  He isn't in a wheel chair, but isn't very mobile.

• Like 1

Just now, Pinecone said:

My Dad just turned 97.  He is a former Naval Aviator and is probably more into my having my Mooney than I am.  I would love to take him for a ride, but can't figure out how to get him in and out.  He isn't in a wheel chair, but isn't very mobile.

@SheryLoewen his wife will know.

1 hour ago, Pinecone said:

There is no easy way. We had a paraplegic pilot on the field that owned an Arrow. He climbed up on the front of wing using his arms and would then fold his chair and pull it up and into the plane. He may have had a special handle installed externally just ahead of the door hinge. He had special hand operated rudder controls installed. 

As for your 97 father, the only answer is very carefully. If he can walk, its best to have a helper on the wing in front of him and a helper at the trailing edge behind him to ensure that the transition from the ground, to the step, to the wing walk goes as it should. So many folks are reluctant to use the handle just above the windshield on the passenger side.  I ask that people secure a handhold to to the handle, then step in and sit down. I advise the reverse order to get out, but some just roll out onto the wing on all fours without listening.

• Like 2

Perhaps something like this to help get up on the wing instead of the Mooney step:

image.jpeg.e3734d1536b98e1159290857eedba474.jpeg

2 minutes ago, Fly Boomer said:

Perhaps something like this to help get up on the wing instead of the Mooney step:

image.jpeg.e3734d1536b98e1159290857eedba474.jpeg

Good idea.  I think the Mooney step (regardless of model) presents a pretty generous and stable footprint but a large platform allows for both feet to have a purchase before transitioning to the wing.

• Like 1

When I considered this a while ago, the answer for getting on the wing was to use a stool like pictured, but hinge a piece of wood to make a ramp to bridge over the flap.

He can't walk without a walker now.  So he would have to crawl on the wing.  

The other answer is, try to find a Cardinal I can borrow. :D

For people with mobility challenges I find it easiest to have them sit on the wing from the front side, slide back a little so they can put their legs in first and then slide up on the wing and transfer to the side onto the seat.  I've done that for several Angel flight patients and it was easy for them and worked well.  It is best if there is someone else who is outside the plane to help them if they are unfamiliar.

When I considered this a while ago, the answer for getting on the wing was to use a stool like pictured, but hinge a piece of wood to make a ramp to bridge over the flap.

He can't walk without a walker now.  So he would have to crawl on the wing.  

The other answer is, try to find a Cardinal I can borrow. :D

A Cardinal would be more dignified. Another way to get him in the Mooney would be to lift him (cradle position) onto the wing walk from the front and then place his legs in the footwell followed by the torso. Not ideal but doable.

1 hour ago, Shadrach said:

A Cardinal would be more dignified. Another way to get him in the Mooney would be to lift him (cradle position) onto the wing walk from the front and then place his legs in the footwell followed by the torso. Not ideal but doable.

Yep.  I don't have any idea what kind of upper body strength he has, but I'm guessing at 97 the answer is not much.  I think the key here may be having a strong third-party helper assisting from the outside to help with placement of legs and feet as well as lifting to get his rear end into the seat.  I don't see any way this is going to happen with just the pilot.  I can also imagine having one or more heavy-duty cushions like couch cushions to ease the transfer from wing to seat.  Sounds like a lot, but the result might be delightful for all involved.

• Like 1

The list of planes I don't fit in is long.    all the Piper 4 seaters.   Some of the early Bonanzas.    The Cessna 172 I could fly, but with my head up so high my view was really limited.   It's was amazing how much better my visibility is in the Mooney over the 172

• Like 1

I am 6’ 3” and I always wish there was at least one more set of holes in my seat rails. The person I bought it from last year was rather short so maybe I have pedal extensions because so many other tall people seem to fit. In other news, are all of us NJ, PA, DE Mooneys meeting up somewhere for lunch? I’ve seen quite a few of yall on ADS-B and a few folks on the ground at KGED.

32 minutes ago, Adverseyaw0317 said:

I am 6’ 3” and I always wish there was at least one more set of holes in my seat rails. The person I bought it from last year was rather short so maybe I have pedal extensions because so many other tall people seem to fit. In other news, are all of us NJ, PA, DE Mooneys meeting up somewhere for lunch? I’ve seen quite a few of yall on ADS-B and a few folks on the ground at KGED.

You probably have rudder extensions, maybe even the 3" extensions, especially if the previous owner was the original owner. It's not a big deal to have an extra set of holes drilled in your set rails to go back another notch. 

• Like 1

Height is not so much an issue for the pilot because they can just move the seat back. It may be an issue for the passenger behind them. This will be less of an issue in a mid or long body. I am 6' and have 2 inch extensions. They were installed before I purchased the plane. If you are looking for a mid or long body, it would probably be best you find one of those to check out, but if you are near Philadelphia, I am happy to show you my C at PNE.

I am also supportive of a tri state area Mooney meetup for lunch. As for locations, I am supportive of 44N (Sky Acres), N40 (Sky Manor), 1N7 (Blairstown) , or GED (Georgetown). Maybe you can try on a few...

Chris

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cferr59 said:

Height is not so much an issue for the pilot because they can just move the seat back. It may be an issue for the passenger behind them. This will be less of an issue in a mid or long body. I am 6' and have 2 inch extensions. They were installed before I purchased the plane. If you are looking for a mid or long body, it would probably be best you find one of those to check out, but if you are near Philadelphia, I am happy to show you my C at PNE.

I am also supportive of a tri state area Mooney meetup for lunch. As for locations, I am supportive of 44N (Sky Acres), N40 (Sky Manor), 1N7 (Blairstown) , or GED (Georgetown). Maybe you can try on a few...

Chris

The only choices for Mooney rudder pedal extensions I have seen are zero, 1.5, or 3.0 inches. 

• Like 1