Say Type

201er

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When you call ATC (VFR) they obviously want to know who you are, where you are, and what altitude your at. This helps them determine if you belong on that frequency or somewhere else. Once they track you and radar identify you they are going to want to get you in the computer. I believe they can only eneter the informaiton the same way you enter it in DUATS so... I would would say specifically "M20P (or T) slant (your equipment code)" to avoid confussion

All ATC really cares about is who you are, where you are, how high you are and what's your speed relative to other aircraft they are dealing with.  I think "Mooney Mike two zero Papa (or Tango)" is sufficient as far as who and what relative speed to expect.

I attended a talk given by a retired controller in Colorado (Rocky Mountain fly-in) and he preferred "EM TWO ZERO PAPA (or TANGO if turbo like me)".  I also own a Piper Mirage and controllers in the DFW area refer to it as a "P A forty  six" (PA46-350P official type) but the Mooney is refered as above so not sure if there is exact nomenclature (except M20P or T).

ATC is asking for a type, not a model designation. ATC is aware of M20P and M20T. If you aren't turbocharged, your type is M20P - Regardless of if your model is an A - J.

Using a slant would indicate an equipment code, and I don't think /P is a valid one (or if so, I've never heard of it). I wouldn't say "slant" on the radio unless you were going to specify how you're equipped, and even then I'd so so after identifying your type. For example, I'd be a "Mike two zero papa slant golf"

I am sure the correct nomenclature and phraseology is covered in an official ATC publication.  I found an easy two pager that seems to cover most for new pilots.  Not comprehensive but adequate to keep the controllers happy that your are trying to be intelligible.  

http://www.flyjohn.com/atc_phraseology.pdf

When they ask [not very often], I tell 'em "MIKE TWO ZERO PAPA." Of course, "Mooney" is included in my initial call up, too.

I'm asked somewhat more often about my equipment, and I always reply "SLANT GOLF" to those queries. Not sure what combining the "slant" into the "type" would do to ATC, but it would confuse ME . . .

What they really need to know if you are a piston or turbine plane for speed purposes. This way they can decide whether to put you ahead or behind a jet plane. Typical pistons approach speed is 80kts while turbines would be 120kts. All you need to tell them is I am Mooney. All Mooney models have the same approach speed for ATC purposes

José

Quote: Piloto

What they really need to know if you are a piston or turbine plane for speed purposes. This way they can decide whether to put you ahead or behind a jet plane. Typical pistons approach speed is 80kts while turbines would be 120kts. All you need to tell them is I am Mooney. All Mooney models have the same approach speed for ATC purposes

José