Spend my money for me - new panel dreaming

There's a Mooney M20M on Controller with a made over panel.  Some ideas to transfer:

1) The TKS is in the centre stack, looks good.  

2) There are three rows of switches on the LHS - move the ones that make sense over there.  

3) I'd go remote transponder or remote audio, before moving stuff to the second column.

4) Things like the GFC500 controller, Annunciatior panel, TKS panel are generally quite 'shallow'  so fit better at the top or bottom the panel.

5) I still like the EDM900 on RHS

6) Start lining things up - nothing like a good horizontal line through the screens, including iPad

Aerodon

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/28/2019 at 9:21 AM, Aerodon said:

There's a Mooney M20M on Controller with a made over panel.  Some ideas to transfer:

1) The TKS is in the centre stack, looks good.  

2) There are three rows of switches on the LHS - move the ones that make sense over there.  

3) I'd go remote transponder or remote audio, before moving stuff to the second column.

4) Things like the GFC500 controller, Annunciatior panel, TKS panel are generally quite 'shallow'  so fit better at the top or bottom the panel.

5) I still like the EDM900 on RHS

6) Start lining things up - nothing like a good horizontal line through the screens, including iPad

Aerodon

Just saw a picture of 2 7" G500TXI's with the second one being EIS and no backup neccessary. I believe that means that you can actually have one G500 TXI 7" and one EIS TXI 7" without needing a backup.
heres the picture.
https://www.beechtalk.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=163334&start=30

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Niko182 said:

you can actually have one G500 TXI 7" and one EIS TXI 7" without needing a backup

NOW we're TALKING! I still like the redundancy of a stand-alone engine monitor, but this bears some more looking into. I'm wondering how the wording in the STC reads, so I now have another research/study project for the next bad weather day. Thanks Niko! @Niko182

Cheers,
Rick

I think the two 7" Portrait configuration is the hot setup. But it requires quite a bit of additional kit. - $27K + installation.

1 - TXI 7" Portrait PFD w/battery backup

1 - TXI 7" Portrait MFD/EIS

2 - GMU 44 Magnatometers

2 - Temp probes

1 - External Garmin ADAHARS

1 - Garmin GPS either GTN750 or GTN650.

25 minutes ago, gsxrpilot said:

I think the two 7" Portrait configuration is the hot setup. But it requires quite a bit of additional kit. - $27K + installation.

1 - TXI 7" Portrait PFD w/battery backup

1 - TXI 7" Portrait MFD/EIS

2 - GMU 44 Magnatometers

2 - Temp probes

1 - External Garmin ADAHARS

1 - Garmin GPS either GTN750 or GTN650.

I seriously considered this setup but I decided against since the 10” was so much easier to install (new) with everything being able to bolt into the unit and I wasn’t impressed with their engine monitor setup just yet.

11 minutes ago, Bryan said:

I seriously considered this setup but I decided against since the 10” was so much easier to install (new) with everything being able to bolt into the unit and I wasn’t impressed with their engine monitor setup just yet.

Won't you have to have backup AI/Alt/ASI? 

@Junkman I feel your pain.  I’ve postponed my panel project so many times I think the installer is going to hire someone to hold a family member hostage.  Things keep changing and new items are being released.  Keep in mind I’ve had a 10 inch txi gathering dust at my installer for quite some time and my setup revolves around that. 

Ideally I want a 10 inch txi with a 7 inch (mfd/esi/backup pfd) unit right next to it.  It will just barely fit leaving the 10 inch centered if I move the trim/flap indicator. This needs to interface with either a gad 43, a gfc500, or a gfc600. Obviously there are some issues with my wants - 7 inch can’t backup a 10 inch, g5 necessary for a gfc500, and the 600 box is supposedly not being certified for the Mooney. 

Current plan is to just install the 10 inch txi with the jpi 900/g5 combo just to the right of it. Then decide to use the gad43 (also gathering dust) or the gfc500.  The problem with this is a FIKI limitation on the g5 right now, hence he holding pattern. 

Some ramblings-

The g5 has a longer battery life and will be a lot cheaper to replace.

The g5 can be directly connected to your backup gps/nav giving emergency navigation / AP usage. 

The screen area on the 10 inch is larger than two 7’s, the extra space can almost cover the eis strip. 

The 10 inch SV is like watching a 65 oled, you just want to stare. 

Two 7 inch units can use one LRU which reduces the cost (first ones 10, second one is 7 plus the battery cost). 

The EIS is only 2.6 ish if you reuse a lot of your old sensors. 

You can save almost 1k getting the second 7 inch without a pfd which helps to go towards a g5. 

• 3 weeks later...

Rick,

did you consider remoting the audio and transponder to the back shelf?

Every pound you send back there can take away from the Charlie weights that are back there already...

+1 for the dual alternators...

+1 for the second, Or emergency bus...  Somebody (Acclaim) has some good logic to follow if you don’t have one already...

Best regards,

-a-

• Thanks 1

All the talk of the secret handshake conversation has my head spinning right now.  Really would like to know if the 7 inch txi can backup a 10 inch. Also very interested in the communication between the txi and gfc500 if the G5 is bypassed. Will the gad29(b) connect directly to the txi?  Is this how Garmin will allow the gfc500 to be installed in a FIKI plane?  I just ordered a darn g5 hsi to have the gad29b adapter included.  If both items are obsolete now I’ll be a little more frustrated in this whole process. 

1 hour ago, Junkman said:

Here's the latest. I think I'm just about there...1516785111_currentfavorite.thumb.JPG.7443e6558fe3ec8a3bf6fb1ef761eb87.JPG

I would change out the external audio panel and transponder for a remote units and move up the 750 and GNC 255. Since I am spending your money, drop the 255 and pick up a 650 and slide that underneath.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MIm20c said:

All the talk of the secret handshake conversation has my head spinning right now.  Really would like to know if the 7 inch txi can backup a 10 inch. Also very interested in the communication between the txi and gfc500 if the G5 is bypassed. Will the gad29(b) connect directly to the txi?  Is this how Garmin will allow the gfc500 to be installed in a FIKI plane?  I just ordered a darn g5 hsi to have the gad29b adapter included.  If both items are obsolete now I’ll be a little more frustrated in this whole process. 

The TXi can't drive a GFC500 alone, it requires a G5 as technically the G5 is the autopilot computer for the GFC500 system. Now, as to the GAD requirements,  no idea there.

I would lose annunciator panel.

If you need G5s with GFC500;

2 G5s

1 TXI 7” (G5s backup TXi)

JPI

GFC500 below JPI, not in radio stack, leaving room for

GTN650 instead of the 255.

Or keep the 255 and add Aero 660 in a panel dock to give you more glass, I think you’ll find ipad off to right problematic to interact with.

Tom

• Thanks 1

On 2/27/2019 at 11:32 PM, Steve W said:

The TXi can't drive a GFC500 alone

While that's true now, the Garmin rep I spoke with "strongly implied" that that won't continue to be the case.

This is a big gamble at this point if you're in the position to pull the trigger now and want to wait until this comes to fruition - we've seen too many times how that works out. I have the relative advantage of being in the planning stage for another year or two so I can afford to wait and see. I also have ideas for other-than-Garmin options, this is just my current option #1.

Cheers,
Rick

9 hours ago, Junkman said:

Thanks guys, your inputs have convinced me to target this panel, with only an increase of about $25,000. Yeah, thanks a LOT...

I knew I could count on you guys.

Cheers,
Rick

1448325477_currentfavorite2.thumb.JPG.0118802509405cf8fa74b2a40f433105.JPG

In an effort to make it a smooth $30,000, you probably have room to put in the EDM 930 instead of the EDM 900. :D

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ArtVandelay said:

I would remove the annunciator instead, since 900 replaces fuel warnings, no vacuum warnings. All have left is gear warnings.

Tom

You still have gear safe, gear unsafe, speed brakes, alternator, start power, and prop de ice. And in the POH of the bravos and ovations, its stated that there need to be 2 indications for the gear. On next to the fuel selector and the other in the form of an annunciator.

You still have gear safe, gear unsafe, speed brakes, alternator, start power, and prop de ice. And in the POH of the bravos and ovations, its stated that there need to be 2 indications for the gear. On next to the fuel selector and the other in the form of an annunciator.

b3d5d59c711b16349d301479adde2cba.jpg
Yea, voltage (alternator) is handled by JPI.
Gear warnings are simple lights, no circuitry required. I think speed brakes, prop deice are as well. Don’t know about start power.
The annunciator is just another piece of equipment that would be hard to replace or repair.

Tom
  • Like 1

Ok, what the hell, one last update:
1761949169_currentfavorite.thumb.JPG.50bb402f2e477fe72434fa8a35479ae7.JPG

Ok, one final suggestion. Sticking that iPad over on the right side just isn’t working for me. You have a beautiful panel and you stick an iPad out there?

How about another single 7” TXi on the right side? You add that and you will be knighted as the “Panel King”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1