Don't be "that" guy

Robert C.

1 hour ago, Marauder said:

There is no way it was a Mooney pilot. We all know no Mooney pilot would spend that much on booze to get that drunk.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

You misspelled "would."  It should have been spelled "could" :)

FTFY - "There is no way it was a Mooney pilot. We all know no Mooney pilot COULD spend that much on booze to get that drunk."  :D

Two Eight Victor

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Marauder said:

There is no way it was a Mooney pilot. We all know no Mooney pilot would spend that much on booze to get that drunk.

Seriously!  Thank goodness for expired fruits in the back of the pantry and fridge that have fermented. Those are practically free. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

13 hours ago, ilovecornfields said:

.203? Amateur. I’ve seen people talking at >.480.

I was actually just wondering if controllers ever do this. I’ve heard some exchanges on the ground that suggest that the pilot is not doing well but I’ve never heard a controller do anything about it.

My own record was 0.502, but that was a guy who "diligently" worked on building up a tolerance

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Marauder said:

I agree completely, Mooney pilots being very efficient would only need a few drinks to be plastered.  I remember a get together at Oshkosh where fifty MS’ers had a great party with a six pack.

Clarence

Edited by M20Doc

42 minutes ago, M20Doc said:

I agree completely, Mooney pilots being very efficient would only need a few drinks to be plastered.  I remember a get together at Oshkosh where fifty MS’ers had a great party with a six pack.

Clarence

Being Canadian (as am I)...You understand that we save 60-70% on alcohol, just by crossing the border south. 

Focusing on the plane, not the pilot...

1) The ‘tired’ voice calls out 7828V

2) So I googled it...

3) Sure enough... the picture matches the one supplied by the NATCA presentation... and another one with the matching tail number...

4) The next article is an interesting NTSB report... regarding same plane and Jammed flight controls... on an instrument approach in night VMC... January 2011.

https://www.ntsb.gov/_layouts/ntsb.aviation/brief2.aspx?ev_id=20110111X92431&ntsbno=ERA11IA110&akey=1

5) Hoping our friend finds the help he may need... we are our brother’s keeper...

6) keep in mind the documented owner details may not be the pilot in the actual Natca presentation... so be careful with the data and details...

Nothing more serious than flying...

Best regards,

-a-

• 2 years later...

Hey all,

I know this is old, but I was this guy's instructor and also I was the pilot who was referenced in the above post with the flight control issue. After I signed for this guy's private, he let me fly his plane and build hours. That is when I had the flight control issue on approach into KPIE with the flashlight. 

He was a great man and very kind, and after reading this, I am at a loss for words and am incredibly sad. I have dealt with my share of demons and thank God it never got to the point of getting in an airplane in that condition. Just wow....

If anyone wants info on the above flight control incident, it changed my life. I would be happy to talk about it.

Edited by AreAre
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 4

3 hours ago, AreAre said:

Hey all,

I know this is old, but I was this guy's instructor and also I was the pilot who was referenced in the above post with the flight control issue. After I signed for this guy's private, he let me fly his plane and build hours. That is when I had the flight control issue on approach into KPIE with the flashlight. 

He was a great man and very kind, and after reading this, I am at a loss for words and am incredibly sad. I have dealt with my share of demons and thank God it never got to the point of getting in an airplane in that condition. Just wow....

If anyone wants info on the above flight control incident, it changed my life. I would be happy to talk about it.

Are you comfortable sharing how it changed your life? If so, would you be willing to post it here? I think we all could learn something from your experience. Bravo Zulu (Navy speak for great job) landing that plane safely!

Glad you survived, this was IMC? IMC brings down the survival rate significantly, good job.

The NTSB report was interesting, at first I thought they were going after the IA, but didn’t blame him, blamed the Government for not calling out interior furnishings condition.

Interesting conclusion, not one I agree with as Airworthiness is to a great extent an opinion, there simply is no way every possible thing that can effect airworthiness can be called out, and trying to is how we end up with way over complex regulations.

As a young fuel truck driver I actually had the "displeasure" of lining up a drunk pilot for landing at KRHV. He was over KSJC and somehow got on RHV Unicom. I had a transceiver in my truck, I heard him and tried to get him over to SJC tower freq. When he refused, I managed to coax him down Hwy 101 to RHV, I used my two way to base to tell them to call RHV tower and tell them I had him on Unicom. I was handling two radios, but I  got him to see RHV to his left, then called his base and final to 31L. He was in a C206 and the landing was ugly. Then he taxi'd perfectly on the center line, into a transient spot. By this time Santa Clara County Sheriffs units were on scene. The deputy opened the door and two bottles fell out. Turned out the guy was some wealthy Central Valley rice baron.

Another time, I was D of Ops at a flight school at RHV. I got a call at home, a student had stole the keys to our BE-76 Duchess. He was drunk. The tower had the sheriff try to stop him from take off but he got around him. We managed to get him back. He was, of all things, a San Jose PD officer.

I've also had to throw the flag on a pilot and another time a flight attendant in my professional career. I credit my company training for picking up on them early. I was able to throw the flag before they got to the airplane and save their jobs.

Remember one thing, you do no one any favors by letting an addict pass in any way. If you say, "Call in sick" or "I'll cover for you" you just failed that person, and yourself.

I heard ATC tapes of a drunk in flight probably 50 years ago, ATC was asking things like what’s your heading and the slurred answer of west, no South etc would come back.

‘He didn’t survive, the autopsy didn’t show all that much alcohol, he shouldn’t have been that disoriented, what did it was altitude, I guess a little hypoxia and a little drunk combine to completely incapacitate you.

This was back in the day when people would drive or fly after a drink or two, it wasn’t illegal or uncommon,  the point was to try to show that you can be OK on the ground, but not at altitude.

This was also when everyone smoked, one demonstration I remember vividly was someone on Oxygen exhaled though a lit cigarette, which promptly broke out into a serious  flame of course. My Mother wasn’t  happy, because my Father wouldn’t let her smoke on Oxygen anymore.

You enter a different environment in flight, and physiology etc changes, and or effects different people differently

Edited by A64Pilot
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, A64Pilot said:

I heard ATC tapes of a drunk in flight probably 50 years ago, ATC was asking things like what’s your heading and the slurred answer of west, no South etc would come back.

‘He didn’t survive, the autopsy didn’t show all that much alcohol, he shouldn’t have been that disoriented, what did it was altitude, I guess a little hypoxia and a little drunk combine to completely incapacitate you.

This was back in the day when people would drive or fly after a drink or two, it wasn’t illegal or uncommon,  the point was to try to show that you can be OK on the ground, but not at altitude.

This was also when everyone smoked, one demonstration I remember vividly was someone on Oxygen exhaled though a lit cigarette, which promptly broke out into a serious  flame of course. My Mother wasn’t  happy, because my Father wouldn’t let her smoke on Oxygen anymore.

You enter a different environment in flight, and physiology etc changes, and or effects different people differently

All we need to know about how smoking was acceptable with flying in a bygone era is that many of our classic Mooneys come with ash trays.  My 1981 Mooney had ashtrays which I used as a convent place to put my AA batteries (good ones on the left side ashtray and spent ones on the right side ashtray) - until I refurbished my interior and erased those ugly ashtrays.  Ashtrays?!  Really?

2 hours ago, GeeBee said:

I've also had to throw the flag on a pilot and another time a flight attendant in my professional career. I credit my company training for picking up on them early. I was able to throw the flag before they got to the airplane and save their jobs.

What does that mean throw the flag?  Did you physically throw a flag at him or is this metaphorical?

16 hours ago, GeeBee said:

As a young fuel truck driver I actually had the "displeasure" of lining up a drunk pilot for landing at KRHV. He was over KSJC and somehow got on RHV Unicom. I had a transceiver in my truck, I heard him and tried to get him over to SJC tower freq. When he refused, I managed to coax him down Hwy 101 to RHV, I used my two way to base to tell them to call RHV tower and tell them I had him on Unicom. I was handling two radios, but I  got him to see RHV to his left, then called his base and final to 31L. He was in a C206 and the landing was ugly. Then he taxi'd perfectly on the center line, into a transient spot. By this time Santa Clara County Sheriffs units were on scene. The deputy opened the door and two bottles fell out. Turned out the guy was some wealthy Central Valley rice baron.

Another time, I was D of Ops at a flight school at RHV. I got a call at home, a student had stole the keys to our BE-76 Duchess. He was drunk. The tower had the sheriff try to stop him from take off but he got around him. We managed to get him back. He was, of all things, a San Jose PD officer.

Remember one thing, you do no one any favors by letting an addict pass in any way. If you say, "Call in sick" or "I'll cover for you" you just failed that person, and yourself.

What years were you at RHV? I was in santa clara working for applied materials in 1995 to 1998. Was in the RHV flying club and used to rent a 172 once every few months to fly down to SBP to see my brother. 

19 hours ago, aviatoreb said:

All we need to know about how smoking was acceptable with flying in a bygone era is that many of our classic Mooneys come with ash trays.  My 1981 Mooney had ashtrays which I used as a convent place to put my AA batteries (good ones on the left side ashtray and spent ones on the right side ashtray) - until I refurbished my interior and erased those ugly ashtrays.  Ashtrays?!  Really?

Yes and we still change clean vacuum system filters in the cabin every year because of old habits. :unsure:

• Like 1