Changing out side windows

2 hours ago, aviatoreb said:

That's my experience on commercial flights too.  I'm tall too.  My most dreaded time of every flight - and it seems to happen almost every flight - is when the fasten seat belt sign releases and the person ahead of me decides its time to lean the seat back.  So they try and push the seat back, but it won't go - its stuck - so then they bounce their whole body on it a coupe of times - jamming the whole thing on my knees.  Sometimes they turn around and leer at me after crushing my knees, mad like I am doing something wrong to them denying their right to a reclining.

Reclining seats come from an era of the DC3, when there used to be leg room, flying was for the luxury class, and there was plenty of space.  They should eliminate reclining seats.  They are dumb.

The "average curve" people say "sorry about that"...at least you are a product of genetics, not pie hole over participation.

On 11/25/2015, 2:24:25, Barcho said:

Bob, please post some pics of your new Windows.  I'm very interested in seeing how the smoke gray looks. 

Barcho, we finished the side windows today but ran out of time so the windshield will be tomorrow. Lighting is poor so I'm anxious to get it out in the daylight which won't be around until Thursday. 

I am very pleased!

IMG_20151130_172328259[1].jpg

IMG_20151130_172347046_HDR[1].jpg

IMG_20151130_172430588_HDR[1].jpg

IMG_20151130_173323533_HDR[1].jpg

Bob, the side windows look GREAT!! I'll have more questions for you when I get ready to change mine.  I love the way you added an opening on the starboard window. That'll be nice on hot days.

I noticed that your 201 windscreen mod is from Lasar.  I'd really like to hear your thoughts on this.  I'm still sporting the split screen.  At first, I thought it was going to be the first thing I was going to change but I've grown accustomed to it I suppose.  One Thing I wanted to ask is, do you think the conversion is worth the $6K+ expense?  My cruise now is typically 153 KTS but it's my understanding that this will add another 4 - 6 KTS.  My main reason for considering the conversion is aesthetics as opposed to an increase in speed.  How accurate do you think Lasars estimate is of 50 hours for labor is?  As you know, the majority of the expense is in labor.  Also, what's your feeling on the avionics access issue?  I can't imagine my panel needing a lot of access in the near future as new as it is but at the same time, I don't want to completely discount the need for access in the future.  

I didn't mean to derail this topic, but since you've got pics of that great windscreen ready to be replaced, I thought I'd ask away.

8 hours ago, Barcho said:

Bob, the side windows look GREAT!! I'll have more questions for you when I get ready to change mine.  I love the way you added an opening on the starboard window. That'll be nice on hot days.

I noticed that your 201 windscreen mod is from Lasar.  I'd really like to hear your thoughts on this.  I'm still sporting the split screen.  At first, I thought it was going to be the first thing I was going to change but I've grown accustomed to it I suppose.  One Thing I wanted to ask is, do you think the conversion is worth the $6K+ expense?  My cruise now is typically 153 KTS but it's my understanding that this will add another 4 - 6 KTS.  My main reason for considering the conversion is aesthetics as opposed to an increase in speed.  How accurate do you think Lasars estimate is of 50 hours for labor is?  As you know, the majority of the expense is in labor.  Also, what's your feeling on the avionics access issue?  I can't imagine my panel needing a lot of access in the near future as new as it is but at the same time, I don't want to completely discount the need for access in the future.  

I didn't mean to derail this topic, but since you've got pics of that great windscreen ready to be replaced, I thought I'd ask away.

Thanks Barcho. Ain't that 2nd vent window sexy? I got the idea from a Rockwell 114 based here and then found that GLAP offered it as an option.

I like the 201 windshield but the mod was done in the '90s, before I owned the plane, so I don't have anything to add regarding the hours to install. I have documented cruise @ 158 kts @ 75% 9500' @ less than gross. But I also have almost all the other mods available including PowerFlow exhaust, 1 pc belly, gap seals, etc. LASAR's projected speed gains cannot be added together! 

My new panel was installed with the 201 windshield already in place and the shop engineered it to be able to get it the components. I had to remove the JPI EDM and send it back to the factory. I was able to do that myself without returning to the a. shop. (Nothing on a Mooney, on either side of the firewall, is easy to work on. I have a tool box full of special sockets, wrenches, etc. to get at unreachable nuts.)

I am replacing the windshield with a new 201 windshield. The old one was pretty scarred up, there were a couple of spots where it appeared that a mechanic had placed an old fashion, hot, drop light on the glareshield, against the acrylic. It has been bothering me for 4 years, since I bought the plane. (I'm getting pretty near the list of annoying stuff left over from prior owners.) BTW, yesterday was the 50th anniversary of the test flight sign-off on this plane, the 1st entry in the log book!   

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, carusoam said:

Math check on aisle 50...

I think she may be only 49 if she was born in '66?:)

Best regards,

-a-

Math professor here - did you call?

Maybe it is based on "Detroit Math".  In Detroit Math one says that a car is model year 2016 and that is released in the summer of 2015.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Marauder said:

It looks like the OAT probe for a JPI. If it is, never seen one installed there before.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That is in fact exactly what it is.

Just came in from the airport. Finished the Annual and plan to round trip Smyrna TN tomorrow and again Friday. Love the new windows! We also rebuilt the fuel selector and repacked the trim "gear box". I ain't used to working quite so hard. We had a lot torn apart, hope we didn't miss anything important.

IMG_20151202_193826238_HDR[1].jpg

7 hours ago, jetdriven said:

Bob, which gear box did you rebuild? The one where the wheel is or the jack screw thing in the tail?

Byron, the one where the wheel is. Not sure we should call it rebuilt, the mechanism was very stiff. We removed from plane, disassembled, found that the grease look like it was OEM, cleaned and reassembled. Works much easier. (We could tell by turning the shaft with the box disconnected that the jackscrew at the tail was not the problem but we greased it per our 100 hour/annual sop.)

• Like 1

Windows look great Bob!

To those of you thinking of embarking on a window replacement, I would strongly urge you to either do it in a climate controlled facility (that means insulated and comfortable enough to work in a T-shirt) or defer until warm weather. Warm windows are far less susceptible to cracks during installation.