Thoughts on purchase of M20C?

Do the work yourself and save a lot of money. Not only is it your labor but you can source parts more efficiently by spending the time to shop for them. You just need to find an IA who is willing to work with you and inspect your work, supervise, etc. Generally you can find them since its a great opportunity for them to earn money without skinning knuckles. :)

-Robert

I agree especially on the sourcing of parts. I trusted my IA to send my engine cluster out for repair. Big mistake that I paid for and he even ate some of the costs. Next time I'll pull it myself, send it out, install it and have him check the installation and sign off the logs.

I'm starting my first annual on my new to me 65 C…in regards to the AMU's looks like some peeps use hundreds while others use thousands…so since I just bought all new hoses (2 fuel & 2 oil) for less than 1 AMU or I could say for 7 AMU - but since less than 1 AMU sounds better…this would be considered on the "value menu" right? anything less than 1K? Actuall I think anything less than 3 AMU using hundreds is the value menu! Just sayin…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Figuring cost per hour seems to only make sense if you are writing off operations to a business expense. All I know the less I fly the less it costs.

It also makes sense if you are doing a cost comparison relative to renting an aircraft.  If you fly enough your cost per hour could be better than a rental.

• Like 2

It also makes sense if you are doing a cost comparison relative to renting an aircraft.  If you fly enough your cost per hour could be better than a rental.

I realized that I needed to fly at least 60 hrs a year to justify the costs of the plane over a rental.  Now that my daughter is getting her PPSEL that should be easy to do. 

The change in avatar is going to throw a couple of readers off.

Congrats on completing that portion of the project!

Best regards,

-a-

It did throw me off and I did see all the pictures congrats on your Mooney I have a D/C as well (a little known secret is that the D's Had higher compression to help with the fixed gear drag) that's why converted C's are much faster. ;)

• Like 1

I was wondering what Don Kaye does?

He is a landlord .

an Engineer 

A flight instructor extraordinaire

And I've seen him is private jets with rock starts. 

The world's most interesting man ? 

I could be mistaken . Tell me Don please.

carl

It did throw me off and I did see all the pictures congrats on your Mooney I have a D/C as well (a little known secret is that the D's Had higher compression to help with the fixed gear drag) that's why converted C's are much faster. ;)

Really? How much higher? Can I go higher compression with my overhaul? How much extra up or torque?

I was wondering what Don Kaye does?

He is a landlord .

an Engineer 

A flight instructor extraordinaire

And I've seen him is private jets with rock starts. 

The world's most interesting man ? 

I could be mistaken . Tell me Don please.

carl

More about buying a Bravo than a C, but you asked, so in abbreviated fashion---

I never really thought about my life being that unusual.  I did almost go into music as a profession.  I had thought about trying to get into Juliard, but in the end chose UC Berkeley and engineering instead.  I still do play the Clarinet.  From a financial point of view, the best thing I ever did was to start buying real estate at the age of 26.  This gave many years to allow for compounding of the investments.  The last time I worked for a company was in 1975.  I am very good at managing property after all of these years, so it doesn't take a lot of my time.

This allows me to devote the majority of my time to flying, teaching flying, and my music.  

Regarding the Rock Band Tours, they came about as the result of my interest in Mooneys.  I met Bryan when I helped him bring his newly purchased Ovation home from San Antonio, where he had Flight Safety training.  He did many ratings with me and I flew with him on a number of early tours before he got the CJ.  When another pilot training seat was available to do the CJ type rating, he asked me if I would like to do it, too.  So I got my single pilot C525S type rating with his airplane.

Yes, I am very fortunate.

• Like 1

Really? How much higher? Can I go higher compression with my overhaul? How much extra up or torque?

According to the TCDS for these airplanes:

The C models were equipped with A1D or A1A engines, both have 8.5 to 1 compression ratio pistons. 

The D models were equipped with A1D or A2D engines, both have 8.5 to 1 compression ratio pistons. 

Bonal is either pulling your leg or someone has pulled his and he's passing it on...

According to the TCDS for these airplanes:

The C models were equipped with A1D or A1A engines, both have 8.5 to 1 compression ratio pistons. 

The D models were equipped with A1D or A2D engines, both have 8.5 to 1 compression ratio pistons. 

Bonal is either pulling your leg or someone has pulled his and he's passing it on...

while we're on the topic, can someone explain what makes the A1D and A1As distinctive from other O-360s?