ATTENTION NORCAL PILOTS

Now that I have my PPL, now that I have my 65C mooney, now that I have my complex signoff and my required hours for insurance………its time to take the wife on our first lil run in the new to us Mooney!

I did a search on here and came up empty, maybe I'm not using the right words for the search.

Seems like we should have a separate NorCal forum - seems like there are plenty in this area and with Top Gun and LASAR in the region, theres alot of Mooney Traffic. 

To my question…...I would like to know and get recommendations for airports to fly to which have a (recommended by you…so if you didn't like, pls dont recommend) resturant that serves breakfast or lunch with nice scenery and hopefully open on Sunday's……please advise…..

I know about the 100 dollar hamburger site but paying for info? really? guess its cheap…..but recommendations are always better……but if you think another site or the 100 dollar hamburger is worth it, then let me know. 

Thanks in advance

Sherman

Sherm,

Report back the funniest thing the wife says to you while flying...

I got the 'stop looking at the other planes' while we were in the traffic pattern...

The whole head on a swivel thing must shake some people up...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 2

The Watsonville Mexican restaurant (Zuniga's) is closed.. sadly - it was good.

' Ella's at the airport'  is there now - just opened - have not tried it yet. However Watsonville and the Monterey bay area is a fun place to fly into. However may have to time coastal fog layer clearing - so lunch / dinner may be better.

• Like 1

Petaluma has a good little restaurant.

Lodi does too but make sure they are open before you fly and watch out for parachuters!

My absolute favorite fly-in food spot is at Benton o85 (Redding area). Food is good, cheap, and filling and the people there are really great!

Ohhhhhh and how can I forget! Half Moon Bay south transient parking is extremely close to dozens of awesome restaurants right on the water!!

• Like 2

Napa used to have a good restaurant on the field. It's been years since I've been there.

Watsonville has a good Mexican restaurant on the field.

San Luis Obispo has a good restaurant on the field.

Napa has a new restaurant that replaced Jonesy's. It is called the "Runway by Patrick", similar to Jonesy's. I haven't been to the new Watsonville restaurant yet. Livermore has Beeb's which overlooks a golf course. Auburn has a nice restaurant as well, quite popular on weekends.

• Like 1

Watsonville - Ella's (the new place) is good.  

Petaluma - 29er Diner, nice and you can sit outside if the weather is good.

Half Moon Bay - 3-0 Cafe at the airport, Barbara's Fish Trap on the way to the pier (park at the tiedowns on the south end of the field), Princeton Seafood closer to the pier.  Crab off the boats when it's in season.

Nut Tree - short walk to mall and standard strip mall stuff, but there's some cool stuff at the airport (look up Legends of Flight) and cheap gas

Salinas restaurant is closed on Sundays, don't make the same mistake many of us have made!

Columbia is a great day trip.  

• Like 2

A couple more places (longer flights)  San Luis Obispo has The Spirit of San Luis restaurant, with good food and you can taxi up to the base of the hill that the restaurant sits on. Also the terminal right next to the restaurant has several rental car booths, and a trip to San Luis Obispo, or Moro Bay, is easy.  A bit further south Santa Maria has a good Mexican restaurant next to the terminal. Harris Ranch (Coalinga) has wonderful food, but the runway is a bit narrow, and you may have to back taxi on the runway if the wind requires a northerly departure. Salinas is indeed closed on Sunday, but the restaurant is fun during the rest of the week, and there are tie downs right in front of the restaurant.  The tower folk are quite pleasant, and will guide you to the restaurant (follow the green line - or ask for progressives, as there are a few runways at Salinas). 

• Like 1

I'm based out of Columbia, and Patty's Shack is a short hike from the airport (walk Airport Road to the end, and turn right - it's across the street on the left).

Auburn is a very popular breakfast run, but expect a busy pattern on weekends.

Dan

• Like 1

Lots of great suggestions one that is not thought of is Little river if you call ahead the Inn will come get you they have a nice restaurant bar with an ocean view. The field was created for ww2 training and is 5000 ft long. Santa Rosa has a nice restaurant in the terminal and the tower folks are very nice. A little longer trip and you will need a taxi to town is Ashland OR its a beautiful flight plan on a day. And of coarse there is Willows where you can park as close as 100 feet to Nancy's cafe which is pretty good

• Like 2

Oh wow guys this is all great info and suggestions, theres quite a few of of us NorCal folks I see. Thanks so much for the start on places to dine.....I will report back funniest thing wife says.......Stay tuned!!

Anyone thinking about the fly in at salinas for AOPA? I have thought about it, but thats as far as I got....I saw a post by george I need to go back and check out

If you are a golfer, fly into San Andreas (CPU) and call Greenhorn Resort. They will gladly send a driver to pick you up and bring you back. Very nice Robert Trent Jones course. The same for Auburn. They have a pretty nice course as well and pick you up by golf cart. Have not played it but Petaluma has a course right by the airport as well.

• Like 1

In addition to above, there are airport restaurants at-

Sacramento Executive

Stockton

San Carlos

Monterey

Red Bluff

Redding

Oroville

Truckee

There were also rumors of the restaurant reopening at Lakeport, but I don't know if that ever happened. There used to be one at Tahoe, but I'm not sure of it's status now.

Welcome to the board fellow Byronite!

• Like 1

Not technically in CA, but still very close is Minden, NV - which has the fantastic little "Taildragger Cafe" that you can pull right up to! Epic views of the Eastern Sierra's.

South Lake Tahoe has a little cafe as well, but I don't like it as much as Minden.

I second Little River. I flew in there a few months back... Great little (often forgotten) airport with super easy access to Little River (city) and Mendocino! Watch out for the marine layer.

Auburn's cafe is great, but also don't forget about Knee Deep Brewing Co. which is right on the airport - easy to fill up some growlers!!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

How many of you are coming to the Mooney Summit in Paso Robles in June?

Gonna have a good time! Good food, good wine, good information and seminars.

Hey Cliffy do you have any more info on the event in June? I'm on vacation the 5th -1 4th so hope its after that......

Hey Cliffy do you have any more info on the event in June? I'm on vacation the 5th -1 4th so hope its after that......

I think they have some good info in Mooney Flyer.  That would be a good one to go to Paso Robles is a nice location.  Weather permitting you should go to the AOPA fly in this Saturday at Salinas.  Forecast is for mostly clear

I think they have some good info in Mooney Flyer. That would be a good one to go to Paso Robles is a nice location. Weather permitting you should go to the AOPA fly in this Saturday at Salinas. Forecast is for mostly clear

Hi Bonal,

will you be going? I thought about it, but have not really planned for it or RSVP, etc. Kind of unsure as I'm not sure what to expect, and what I might gain by going.....I know, I know....only one way to find out.....I still need to take wife on first flight, have not been able to yet....not sure if I want her first outing to be all airplane stuff all day long, not sure if she will enjoy it...as of this writing I just don't know if I will make it.....