Savannah, GA

GaryP1007

There's only the one airport that I could find in Savannah, unless you consider Hilton Head to be "greater Savannah." There are four FBOs; I used Sheltair because I could see their big fuel sign. They took care of me, gave my wife directions to drive out and pick me up [she was already there on business], served good snacks, and gave us a ride to the plane when we left on their golf cart. They also drove [6-8 miles around the runways] to pick us up after I turned in my Avis rental car and brought us back to get in the plane.

For fuel, I recommend Barnwell, SC if you are going north. It's about 20-25 minutes' flight, has a nice crew car with COLD air, and saved me over $2/gal since KSAV doesn't much want to sell nasty 100LL.

If you have time, the folks at Sheltair also had a brand new LSA on floats that looked like lots of fun. Sadly, I had no time . . .

+1 for Sheltair. Was there last summer. Friendly enough, especially for a larger airport. Gave us a ride over to the rental car place at the terminal (which is all the way on the other side). Gas prices are obscene, which isn't terribly unexpected. Fortunately, I was only going back to Atlanta.

I've flown to KSAV several times. I've used Sheltair they are real nice and convenient to historic Savannah and easy rental car access. Their fuel is more expensive but depending on how you plan your flight you can minimize the hurt I.e. stop for fuel about 1 hour away if necessary. I've landed at Fort Stewart LHW and fuel up and then flown into SAV 15min. The renal cars at LWH are a little more challenging. I've investigated other airports near by but all had rental car issues or could not provide a rental. I've also bit the bullet with higher 100LL price on a shorter < 2 hour flight into SAV to avoid weather and to save time since 15 to 20 gallons the cost difference vs. the time to me was not worth it to me.

I've flown to KSAV several times. I've used Sheltair they are real nice and convenient to historic Savannah and easy rental car access. Their fuel is more expensive but depending on how you plan your flight you can minimize the hurt I.e. stop for fuel about 1 hour away if necessary. I've landed at Fort Stewart LHW and fuel up and then flown into SAV 15min. The renal cars at LWH are a little more challenging. I've investigated other airports near by but all had rental car issues or could not provide a rental. I've also bit the bullet with higher 100LL price on a shorter < 2 hour flight into SAV to avoid weather and to save time since 15 to 20 gallons the cost difference vs. the time to me was not worth it to me.

you landed at Ft Stewart? How did you manage that? I'm asking b/c I have a friend at Ft Stewart, but I was planning to fly to Claxton and have him pick me up.

edit--nevermind, I see they have a public use airport there, also.

Stopping at KSAV: Sheltair.

For fuel, KBNL, Barnwell, SC. KSAV --> KBNL = 68 nm, further than I remembered, more or less north. Expect 6-7 gallons for the trip.

I thought the fuel prices were higher than the temperature at Savannah when I was there in June. Must have been 110-115º, sitting at the end of the runway waiting on an airliner to land on the crossing runway and taxi to the terminal before I was cleared to depart. How did I ever get through 2-a-day practice in high school???

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Flew to LWH again Wednesday. Awesome tail wind it only took me 2:55 flying time. :D It was neice looking at my GS and seeing 165KTS+ for most of the flight. Very nice weather, smooth as glass until I went down to 3000 and below. Return home tomorrow hopefully the tail wind I had Wed. will have settled down or maybe even be a tail wind back.

you need to stop by Perry the next time you fly by. As far as the winds, it looks like you'll be hitting a headwind the next few days. It's been very windy the past week.

You based at KPXE?

I think the winds will settle down tomorrow for my trip home.

Will you be around in the morning?