Cheap pulse oximeter

Today we got a sale paper from ALDI (I don't know how widespread this discount food chain is) showing they have pulse oximeters for $29.99. I don't think I have seen them that cheap before. The sale started yesterday (Wednesday) with an "while suppies last" cut-off.

I figured at that price I could take some risk (as this is a back-up for me). When I got it home, I checked it several times with my primary one on both me and my wife. It seems to be dead on. Maybe not tomorrow, but so far...

I just bought the one from Sporty's for 50 bucks.  It has a display of what it is counting as your pulse so you can visually see what it is counting. If you don't see a nice pulsing graph,move your finger.

Haven't taken it flying yet,  but I've got good numbers on the ground...

Best regards,

-a-

The one from sporty's is what I got too. It's not a top notch one but it's certainly good enough. I've taken it to 13,500ft and taken readings every 1000ft for future reference. Also went up with a friend as pilot to 17,500 without O2 to learn how I make out and then see how much and how quickly putting on oxygen helps. Now I use my pulse oximiter any time I'm flying above 8,000ft.

I use the QuickCheck Pro by Oxi-Go.  Cheap, very easy to put on your finger (small/light), and very accurate. I've been using it for about a year with no problems.  I agree with Mike that if you start using the oximeter at 8-10K you will be surprised how much your oxygenation can go down (and by extension your brain function).  Any time your oxygenation is below 90% consider using your O2.  You won't feel like anything is wrong but that's the danger...Ray

Cheap oximeter or otherwise -- what blood O2 saturation level should we maintain as PIC?

I have been using 92% as the minimum I wish to see, and adjust the O2 flow to get a reading above that.   That figure came from the AOPA medical team (private communication).  Any physicians care to offer an educated opinion? 

I've found that if I use the O2 flowmeter and set the flow to match the density altitude, I have always seen my blood O2 saturation reading well above 92% on either of the oximeters I have used in the Mooney.   

I recall seeing the panel mounted device.  

With the portable devices. It takes me about 15 seconds to get a reading.  The devices floats on my finger tip.

Trying to get a reading at arm's length in turbulence sounds challenging.

I would like panel mounted O2, but the portable O2 sensor sound a little more user friendly...

Maybe the panel mounted device has a better technology than my portable...

Best regards,

-a-

• 2 weeks later...

The portable device I mentioned earlier in this string gets an accurate reading in about 5 seconds. You may want an opinion from a flight surgeon on the oxygenation percentage.  I know from being in the altitude chamber a few times that the physiologist told us that our cognitive abilities (simple math, reaction time, etc) are noticably altered at about 90% or lower.  There is a lot of individual variation to altitude as evidenced by being in a chamber with several fighter pilots and one dentist.  It was the dentist who did the math correct at the highest altitude and whose color vision stayed good the longest.  Several studies on mountain climbers who don't use oxygen confirm the same principles.  Ray 

• 2 months later...

Tested my oximeter this weekend. Tested my 02 level at gnd several times and it was 96-98 consistantly. Tested O2 at 10K after 30 minutes. O2 level was 83,84 (2 sequential tests). Put on my canula and turned on my portable O2 bottle. Retested 15 mins later, 92,93. Retested 15 mins later 97,98. It works !

Now I'm going to order the oxisaver canulas since in 4 hrs I used up the 1/2 bottle I had left.

Have to get the bottle refilled too.

BILL

I have to get one of those. My airplane came with a nice O2 portable system when I bought it, but I have never used it. I just had it recertified and can fill it this month. Last time I popped over the mountains on the way to Fairmont Hot Springs, I was at 14,500 ft for about 30 minutes. It would have been interesting to see what the O2 level was...

There is a lot of individual variation to altitude as evidenced by being in a chamber with several fighter pilots and one dentist.

So, was this Allsmiles?? :D

I've debated portable oxygen and a meter, but refilling is a pain, and I don't often fly above 9000'. But then again, without a meter, I've never checked myself at altitude, and "feelings" are notoriously incorrect. I did just get a 98% reading from the AME at my medical last month, though.

For those interested. I had my bottle "hyro'd" at a local place that does them for fire extinguisher service companies. Cost $35. I dropped it off on Monday and picked up on Tuesday. The fill it with water and place in a container with water. Now pressure the bottle (inside) to 3000 PSI(50 % over rated) and measure the amount of water pushed out of the container. This indicates the growth in size of the bottle. Now they remove the pressure. The key is how much of the water is taken back in the container. In my case, all of the water was taken back (mine was a 1994 bottle). This is good. They stamped it 11/12 and I'm good to go for 5 years. I had trouble finding someone "close" to refill it. They would do it at KCLT (Charlotte International) but that's 20 mi away. All of the "gas" companies would do it but did not have the right fitting (Puritan Bennet). So, I bought the AEROX adapter from Aircraft Spruce and now I can take it to any gas place (like National Welders) and they will refill it with what ever O2 I ask. (Aviation, or Medical or...)

Since I'm a welder, I use my own bottle. Oh.. and I did buy the OXYSAVER Canula kit too. After my first trip I realized that I needed to get more hours per bottle.

BILL

Compared my portable oximeter to the one we use at the clinic while doing IV sedations. Very accurate with less than 1 percent difference when used on the same finger. I did this on myself, just so you don't think I experimented on patients. Ray

Compared my portable oximeter to the one we use at the clinic while doing IV sedations. Very accurate with less than 1 percent difference when used on the same finger. I did this on myself, just so you don't think I experimented on patients. Ray

Accurate through what range though? If it was just same at 98 or 99% that's not saying much. Some of the cheap ones have been reported to never go below 90 when their SP02 was actually in the 80's. Drop the unit and it should be re-checked.

Accurate through what range though? If it was just same at 98 or 99% that's not saying much. Some of the cheap ones have been reported to never go below 90 when their SP02 was actually in the 80's. Drop the unit and it should be re-checked.

Where can I find the information about the inaccurate units and the need for rechecking after dropping

The Oxi-Pro unit I use in the plane does give readings below 90. Paul makes a good point in that I did not compare the two units below 90. The readings were the same from 93-100 when the units were compared in the office. I only did the comparison because I had read this comment line and happened to have my flight bag in the car while at the clinic. Anyone else done any comparisons? Ray