Commercial Rating

I am thinking of going for my commercial rating....for no other reason than it is another way to keep learning.  I am instrument rated and have about 500 hours, what are the pro's and cons (if any) to doing this?

No cons in my opinion. Wait......theoretically, once you have your commercial ticket...... theoretically, you should maintain your skills at that level, commercial ops or not. I have learned the hard way over the years that airmanships is the basis of all safe flight. It is possible to fly with poor airmanship for years and not realize it. The commercial will make you razor sharp and as a PPL-SE (aerobatics aside) it will be your best display of skills. Learning the in depth FAR's is a big help too. It is also a required path to CFI.

I can't see any downside other than making the time to get it done.

I started my commercial and instrument at the same time - about 6 months after my PPL - for the same reason. I wanted the IR, and it seemed logical to combine the ground school/IR theory work. It was also tax advantageous to continue as a commercial student, as PPL training is not tax deductable in Canada, but commercial and IR training is. I wrote and passed both exams, but time pressures forced me to prioritize. I completed the IR checkride (I needed an IR ticket to fly my missions) but the commercial was just a 'nice to have' so it took a backseat.

1000h later, I've still not done that commercial checkride...but I should.

I saw the commercial as a third step -- after PPL and Instrument rating -- in the process of continued education.  

I would not do both Instrument and Commercial training together for two reasons.   One, they are quite different in content and practice.  Two, you get more long-term benefit out of spacing the training sessions.

The commercial license prep and check ride is more like the Private license, just to tighter standards.   Compare the Private and Commercial Practical Test Standard (PTS) and you will see that clearly.  

And after you finish those three, the ATP looks like like another Instrument rating to, yes, tighter standards.

I'm retiring from my current job in August.  Going for my Professional Engineer Exam in Oct and then Commerciial right after.  Why.. Because it's there.  I'm leaving this job because I miss the challange.  it's got to be "turn the crank" and I don't like going anymore.  So I'm looking for something else but am in no hurry. I'm actually looking forward to the challange of the namuevers.

Bill

I plan to get my commericial  I just haven't yet either.  Got my class II medical and it's been a year this month.  I worked on the manuvers and got all the required time in for the ratings, the day and night cross countries, landings at towered airports at night, etc . . .

Then I sold my plane, and since the Missile had a fresh engine I wanted to break it in before working the engine too hard for power off 180s and such.  Now that I'm at that point, it's a goal for the next few months to knock out the Commerical rating - I purcahased the study buddy app from Sportys for the ipad and hope to take the written soon.  However, I've also spent a lot of money on aviation in the past 12 months, but I do plan to continue to pursue the commerical rating.

Then it would be CFI.  Then multi, then either multi CFI, or CFII. 

I'll pop in the taildragger rating at some point as well.

My long term goal is to in addition to my normal work (Financial Advisor, which I have no right being since I own and airplane and that is a great way to spend money as opposed to having it work for you), get my CFI and teach twice per week or so at the local flight school.  I got my cousin into flying, who became a CFI at the local flight school, and now flies for American Eagle - they basically have given me an open door to be a CFI for them part time. 

It's always good to continue to learn. 

-Seth

Get the Commercial! It made me a better pilot, and I enjoyed the challenge. Plus, if you've just done your Instrument rating, or you fly a lot of IFR, you'll enjoy spending your time looking out the window! There's no such thing as seat of the pants flying, but the Comm will make you better at "feeling" what the airplane. As others have said, no downside as far as I can see. 

I did my commercial certificate about 2 month ago now in my Mooney M-20G and really enjoyed it.

Like many others, I started the commercial after the instrument, but never got it finished. My written test had just expired, so I had to re-take it (King Schools was great prep). I had about 500 hours when I did the checkride. The most challenging part was the power-off 180 accuracy landing in the Mooney (the trick is to hold 70 knots and slip down).

-Andrew

Quote: danb35

You don't need a class 2 medical to get a commercial or CFI cert, nor to teach--but you do need it to fly "for compensation or hire" or to otherwise exercise the privileges of the commercial cert.

Like many others here, I'm planning on getting the commercial (and possibly CFI) just as a matter of self-improvement.

Quote: danb35

You don't need a class 2 medical to get a commercial or CFI cert, nor to teach--but you do need it to fly "for compensation or hire" or to otherwise exercise the privileges of the commercial cert.

Tailwheel is kind of fun.  Completely different way of landing an aircraft than with your Mooney though.  Doing a wheel landing, the stick/yoke has to be pushed forward an inch or two at the moment of contact between wheels and ground.  After a few hundred landings doing everything you can to keep the now UP at that point, it is not easy to get yourself to shove it forward.

If you're looking at things to do that will add to your proficiency I would recommend the following...

• The commercial is a good thing to have, but before I'd even do that I'd get the tailwheel Endorsement - It will teach you what your feet are for. The cost isn't a biggie - a few hours of dual in a Citabria.
  • Aerobatics - It will teach you how to fly and could come in very handy in the event of severe upset. A little of this goes a very long way. A couple more hours, with a qualified aerobatics instructor, in that Citabria that you used to get your taildragger endorsement will go a very long way to making you a much better pilot.

With those two out of the way, then is the time to go for the commercial. Once you've got that taken care of, it would be a good time to go get some glider time. A commercial glider add-on is easy and comparitively inexpensive. It's something that can be knocked out in a long weekend if you're in a big rush. The judgement and skill that you learn flying gliders is something that will transfer into other areas of your flying. Not to mention that it takes some of the sweat out of engine failures in that Mooney.

Finally, once you've done all of that and assuming that you've got the minimum experience required for the ATP it's time to take the written out of the way, then go spend a few hours with a CFII to put a shine on your "instrument apple" and get a single engine ATP. It's not a big deal - just another instrument checkride.

Properly planned out, you could turn all of this into a nice recurrent training syllabus spread out over over a few years. This would be a lot more productive (and fun) than your typical BFR. If I were king of the world, I'd make it a requirement for every pilot to have some taildragger, glider and aerobatic time. They really do make you a better, more competent pilot.

As others have said, There is no downside to earning the Commercial, While my 201J has been down for paint and engine repair since February I have received my Multi engine with Instrument endorsement, and now finsihing up the Multi engine commercial requirements and taking the practical next week. When 201 comes back on line in 2 weeks I will practice for the SEL Comm add on. Its all about learning and honing those skills to make a better pilot. Good luck & safe flying