Annual during paint

I have a reservation in early May for a paint job at Hawk Aircraft Services. My Annual is due by end of May. Thinking of having them do the annual while they have the airplane, less down time.

Has anyone used them for an annual?

Thanks

2 hours ago, thomas1142 said:

I have a reservation in early May for a paint job at Hawk Aircraft Services. My Annual is due by end of May. Thinking of having them do the annual while they have the airplane, less down time.

Has anyone used them for an annual?

Thanks

I would never let an airplane go out of annual. It limits your options. Even if you lose a month and get it done before the paint, it would be worth the peace of mind.

They won’t be able to inspect the plane while they’re working on painting it anyway, so downtime won’t be less. The masking will effectively seal the plane, including the engine preventing inspecting it.
I also recommend doing it beforehand. Actually April or May seems like a bad time for an annual because for most that’s starting of flying season, I would have move it up to January-March.

Iam combining part of my annual with my avionics work.

1)  Plane is down for 2 months with work

2)  No need to pay two different shops to pull all the inspection panels and interior and such.

They will have the plane for three months while I’m out of the country, that’s why I’m considering doing the annual at the same time. I just haven’t heard or read anything about their maintenance operation, plenty on their painting.

I am in the camp of getting the annual done before it is painted so it never goes out of annual. That is less risky. However, painting is much more invasive than an annual so you could argue that if you trust them to paint it, you should trust them to annual it. I just find that hard to do given some of the paint shops I have visited and worked with.

Angelos,

Remember what does come before paint….

Any tank stripping / reseal should be considered before painting…

The other thing….

We always love to critique choices of colors and layout designs around here….  :)

Please post pics!

Good luck with getting this all completed!

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

11 hours ago, carusoam said:

Remember what does come before paint….

Any tank stripping / reseal should be considered before painting…

Yup, both tanks were looked at and had some preventive sealing applied. I’m using Scheme Designers to help in developing a good layout. I should have something from them in three weeks or so.

• Like 2

On 3/25/2024 at 10:53 PM, cferr59 said:

I am in the camp of getting the annual done before it is painted so it never goes out of annual. That is less risky. However, painting is much more invasive than an annual so you could argue that if you trust them to paint it, you should trust them to annual it. I just find that hard to do given some of the paint shops I have visited and worked with.

Painting and mooney- specific annual tasks are vastly different things. It's like asking the guy who is staining your stairs to build your cabinets. Or to do your HVAC. I said we're in the middle of ripping out the interior in replace of it all, never mind this is not my specialty, I'm going to fight my way through it. I'm gonna have 100 or more hours in it but it would've been cheaper just to send it out.  

5 hours ago, jetdriven said:

Painting and mooney- specific annual tasks are vastly different things. It's like asking the guy who is staining your stairs to build your cabinets. Or to do your HVAC. I said we're in the middle of ripping out the interior in replace of it all, never mind this is not my specialty, I'm going to fight my way through it. I'm gonna have 100 or more hours in it but it would've been cheaper just to send it out.  

I didn't mean to say a non A&P IA painter should try to do the annual but I think we are on the same page that the paint shop may not be the best place to get an annual inspection.