G5 Garmin in lieu of gyros.

Denis Mexted

When I do my dream panel, I already have the GTX-345, so going remote is a good bit more money.

For me, I am the same on the audio panel.  But have to think about others that do like music.  I will listen to it, but if there is none, I am fine.

For me, the right hand display is for a second pilot flying in that seat.  And a reversion screen, just in case.

32 minutes ago, Pinecone said:

For me, I am the same on the audio panel.  But have to think about others that do like music.  I will listen to it, but if there is none, I am fine.

For me, the right hand display is for a second pilot flying in that seat.  And a reversion screen, just in case.

the remote Garmin audio panel can do all of this, with bluetooth integration for music. all you do is touch the "Audio Panel" button and can do what you want

the right hand display is only a backup for a failed PFD display screen. it does not backup the AHRS, so its not really "reversion". The G5 has its own AHRS

George, no sorry ArtVandelay thanks for clarifying the HSI / CDI thing. The flat screen might be a bit much for me, but I'm sure the kids would love it. I do like the compass on the dash. 

Keith20EH - thanks for the very nice pic. So as I can get some perspective on layout, do you have a daylight one? 

What would the two annunciator lights be on the right side of the gear lever? Just below the compass correction card. 

I found some blank instrument panels eBay which was good to get my head around. Not sure why a person would buy one full of holes already. But is there a source for new blanks? I see the main panel has a rolled lip on the bottom, and a funny box thing to the left. 

I've been tossing up, yes or no on buying this aeroplane, but the F/O I was flying with this morning has a few aircraft online and talked me through a few ideas on structuring the process. Probably what I needed. 

15 hours ago, rbp said:

the remote Garmin audio panel can do all of this, with bluetooth integration for music. all you do is touch the "Audio Panel" button and can do what you want

the right hand display is only a backup for a failed PFD display screen. it does not backup the AHRS, so its not really "reversion". The G5 has its own AHRS

Having just done a CAP checkride in a G1000 aircraft, reversion is what Garmin calls using the other screen for the data or combining the data into the primary screen if the MFD fails.

Again, I am looking at a right hand display for a pilot in the right seat.   The other option is a docking station for an AERA 760

10 hours ago, Denis Mexted said:

George, no sorry ArtVandelay thanks for clarifying the HSI / CDI thing. The flat screen might be a bit much for me, but I'm sure the kids would love it. I do like the compass on the dash. 

Keith20EH - thanks for the very nice pic. So as I can get some perspective on layout, do you have a daylight one? 

What would the two annunciator lights be on the right side of the gear lever? Just below the compass correction card. 

I found some blank instrument panels eBay which was good to get my head around. Not sure why a person would buy one full of holes already. But is there a source for new blanks? I see the main panel has a rolled lip on the bottom, and a funny box thing to the left. 

I've been tossing up, yes or no on buying this aeroplane, but the F/O I was flying with this morning has a few aircraft online and talked me through a few ideas on structuring the process. Probably what I needed. 

E0DDAD75-184F-4ADE-8468-6B8F42B6AAC3.jpeg.ea2cb276c3dc4080d82c633adfa5e52a.jpeg

D9FB1137-6AB6-41C8-86BA-8FE2083AE436.jpeg.f75e6e1467e6395388178d50e88b27d7.jpeg

• 1 month later...

Hand forced. Bench tested the two gyros. DG wanders, AH works, but very nosy and not a lot of life left. Vac pump already failed. So 2 G5's it is.

The direction driver for the HSI G5 I'm told comes from a GMU 11 Magnetometer. 

Is there any trick to mounting this? Does it need a rack and does it need to be mounted flat for normal flight. I'm sure a lot will be explained when the unit arrives, but that's weeks away.

7 minutes ago, Denis Mexted said:

Hand forced. Bench tested the two gyros. DG wanders, AH works, but very nosy and not a lot of life left. Vac pump already failed. So 2 G5's it is.

Is there any trick to mounting this? Does it need a rack and does it need to be mounted flat for normal flight. I'm sure a lot will be explained when the unit arrives, but that's weeks away.

Yes, it needs to be properly secured, oriented and mounted.  Typical location are in the aft avionics area behind the baggage or out in the wing.  The installation manual is available online and should guide you through. 

Thanks RobertGary1. This aircraft is going out VFR initially. Although if it goes out IFR it won't have a Vac system. When I was a much younger person I departed in a C210 into the murk and the AH rolled over. The T&B was very useful and got me home. I'm sure it wouldn't have looked pretty on the modern tracking apps, but it worked. 

* I will keep all pitot / static instruments.

11 hours ago, Denis Mexted said:

Denis. You can download the latest G5 installation manual from the Garmin website. It's quite detailed and all your questions will be answered.  Good luck.

12 hours ago, Denis Mexted said:

Thanks, the aft avionics area would be ideal. I've just pulled the HF out of there sucking up a huge amount of space and weight. 

The installation location for the GMU11 is not just based on convenience, but where it will actually work given the equipment on the aircraft.   As mentioned by others, the installation manual describes how to do the survey to determine the best installation location.

That said, mine is back there in the tail on a fabricated shelf.

image.jpeg.c70298dcb3edd9f2d0b11c923c9daa43.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Igor_U said:

Nice, functional panel. 

Who did the leather on the yokes? Thanks

Thanks!  I don’t know.  Previous owner had that done at some point.  I’ve had the airplane about 9 years and they’ve held up well.  It could use new carpet and some headliner work, but I mostly concentrate on keeping it mechanically sound and having a good functional panel.

1 hour ago, EricJ said:

The installation location for the GMU11 is not just based on convenience, but where it will actually work given the equipment on the aircraft.   As mentioned by others, the installation manual describes how to do the survey to determine the best installation location.

That said, mine is back there in the tail on a fabricated shelf.

image.jpeg.c70298dcb3edd9f2d0b11c923c9daa43.jpeg

Did your Mooney come from the factory Zinc Chromate? I wasn't sure if that was an option back in the day

32 minutes ago, gmonnig said:

Did your Mooney come from the factory Zinc Chromate? I wasn't sure if that was an option back in the day

I'm guessing so given the part number on the bulkhead.   Been like that since I got it, including the dirt from twenty years of painstaking outdoor parking positioning in the Nevada desert dust storms.    I should probably spray some mernal spertz in there to try to wash that stuff out the drain holes, but I'm worried it'll just concentrate on the bottom and plug the holes or something.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Denis Mexted said:

Thanks RobertGary1. This aircraft is going out VFR initially. Although if it goes out IFR it won't have a Vac system. When I was a much younger person I departed in a C210 into the murk and the AH rolled over. The T&B was very useful and got me home. I'm sure it wouldn't have looked pretty on the modern tracking apps, but it worked. 

* I will keep all pitot / static instruments.

Do you need the tc for the autopilot? Otherwise that’s the first thing I’d ditch. :)

Do you need the tc for the autopilot? Otherwise that’s the first thing I’d ditch. 

An interesting point. (we really are a product of our experiences) 

My thinking was backup if the gyros (in this case screens) topple. But as you point out there is no reason the standby can't be another Vac driven gyro. 

Thanks.

Making this an IFR machine would be 1/2 years away and dependant of a few things, including that USD to back off a bit. It's killing me at the moment. 

I apologise for the 'questions' guys. There are stages in life where there is time to spend manual reading and times where it's a challenge due work, kids and trying to restore a Mooney in insufficient time. My avionics installer will be all over this. I just was seeking some real world solutions. Anyway, he'll be here soon, so out of bed. 

so when the solar flares hit and GPS goes offline, all the cool G5's and anything else GPS based becomes useless. Vacuum instruments will be unaffected. 

This is the dirty little secret of all modern GPS aided AHRS units. Without GPS, they are unreliable.

• Haha 1