Maximum G rating in an F

It is probably +3.8G; I think this information should be the limitations of your AFM. The 'vintage' Mooney 'owners manual' seems to lack this stuf, whereas the standardized POH format for later model years (certainly for the J and later) will have it. I don't have "F" manuals in front of me, though.

There are a *lot* of things that could go wrong if you start talking about exceeding that. Have you taken a look at how the engine mounts are bolted to the airframe? Imagine the engine and prop, running and vibrating away, already on a long lever arm, under increased G-load. Yikes.

• Like 1

Quote: Immelman

It is probably +3.8G; I think this information should be the limitations of your AFM. The 'vintage' Mooney 'owners manual' seems to lack this stuf, whereas the standardized POH format for later model years (certainly for the J and later) will have it. I don't have "F" manuals in front of me, though.

There are a *lot* of things that could go wrong if you start talking about exceeding that. Have you taken a look at how the engine mounts are bolted to the airframe? Imagine the engine and prop, running and vibrating away, already on a long lever arm, under increased G-load. Yikes.

Ross,  yes tested, I have been told the wing is built off a beam that spans from one side to the other.  I have never heard of a Mooney coming apart during flight so I assume the real tested stress rating is up there.  I've been studying my commerical flight maneuvers and some take on some stress. 

Quote: crxcte

Ross,  yes tested, I have been told the wing is built off a beam that spans from one side to the other.  I have never heard of a Mooney coming apart during flight so I assume the real tested stress rating is up there.  I've been studying my commerical flight maneuvers and some take on some stress. 

Quote: crxcte

Quote: Shadrach

Metal wing inflight break-ups could probably be counted on one hand.  I do recall reading about an M20K that flew through a thunder storm and landed with buckled sheet metal. IIRC, the Mooney engineers that inspected the aircraft estimated that it had sustained G loads in excess of 13Gs. 

Quote: kerry

Metal wing inflight break-ups could probably be counted on one hand.  I do recall reading about an M20K that flew through a thunder storm and landed with buckled sheet metal. IIRC, the Mooney engineers that inspected the aircraft estimated that it had sustained G loads in excess of 13Gs.