For the construction people - Hangar building

Several months ago I bought an airport property in Afton Wyoming with the plan to build a hangar and home.  Have only started this process and I am not thrilled with the numbers I am getting.  Met a local architect and he proposed some plans where it was going to cost me $1.1 million and a $20,000 architect fee.  I think their numbers are way off.  Hangar price was $120 sq. ft, my high level research shows maybe $60 sq ft, (steel building $20-$25 sq ft, concrete site work $20 sq. ft, installation $20 sq ft.)  The home was coming in at $220 sq ft.  I am an avid, capable DIY'er and an infamous cheap bastard in keeping with the Mooney owners theme.  Found a company that builds the panels and they are claiming a DIY'er could build a home for $80 sq ft.  I realize the interior finishes are a huge %, but again I can install cabinets, tile, flooring, etc.  That is secondary for this discussion.    

My friend is in the sheet metal steel business and he put me on to this company.  Looks like the structure is welded trusses versus the typical solid steel structure.   Any thoughts to this versus the traditional way?  Airplane Hangar | Metal Airplane Hangar Kits | Worldwide Steel Buildings

Guess I am not sure what I am asking, but nothing is being built in 2022.  Plan is 2023 come hell or high water.  

Depending on where you are there may be codes you have to meet, wind resistance for the building and if in a neighborhood you may have to have the plans approved by a committee.

I’m in Fl and for example apparently a residential hangar can’t be larger than 2,000 sq ft, Mine is 3,000 and I guess was built before the sq footage was enforced? Mine is 15 yrs old.

Another hanger recently built had to have a grounding point in the hangar and there are certain other restrictions about those for type and thickness of concrete, slope of the floor and apparently no drains allowed without some kind of treatment system.

I bought not built but talk to neighbors who are building now, and there is a whole lot more to it than I thought there would be.

I think for instance if mine was built now it would have to have a sprinkler system due to its size, oh and the doors are Hello expensive too, mine is a folding door that's apparently not allowed anymore as it won’t meet the wind resistance requirements.

Of course where you live it’s likely you have a very different set of rules, but best find out what they are before you buy a building.

I have a friend in Moultrie Ga that built his hangar home, it’s actually all under one roof and in my opinion that worked out pretty good and likely didn’t cost as much as a free standing building and separate hangar.

My neighborhood has both, and the all in ones seem to have smaller hangars, which is fine depending on how much hangar you want, a smaller hangar may be able to be much more easily insulated and climate controlled to an extent, I don’t mean maintain 70 year round but if you can get to 50- 60 in the Winter it can be a pleasant shirt sleeve work place and don’t worry about preheating as there isn’t a need to, sharing one wall with the house may make it a lot easier to heat.

So I’m saying be darn sure you get a copy of ALL the rules you have to meet, and send them to the manufacturer so they can supply certs attesting they meet the requirements

Edited by A64Pilot

The dream of many an MSer is to have a hangar home….

You may want to search the topic and see what comes up…

Then search topics about the economy and see which way it is headed…

Houses are way up in price lately, and interest rates are starting to climb…

https://mooneyspace.com/search/?q="Hangar home"&quick=1&updated_after=any&sortby=relevancy

-a-

A hanger that is attached, will probably require different fire ratings than a detached.  Wind and snow loads can increase costs.   Architect and engineers are getting very self protected to reduce liabilities.   Are fire sprinklers required in the home and hanger.   Building materials are outrageous now.   How far does your building materials need to be hauled.   How available are contractors?  Good luck.