A sectional paint job!

kerry

31 minutes ago, Danb said:

Is there any chance that's a wrap, I always wondered if a wrap would hold up on a plane? If so there are so many cool things you do. Especially advertising.

Playing around with Mrs. Yetti's vinyl printer I made some old school Mooney birds out of car wrap vinyl.  It seems to be holding up OK.   The problem with bigger pieces is what to do with the rivet heads.  I was going to redo the disco green stripes with vinyl. It was not working out on the wings.

20151206_110158.jpg

I was thinking about doing a large mooney bird across the top cowl much like the old school firebird

Edited by Yetti
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Yetti said:

Playing around with Mrs. Yetti's vinyl printer I made some old school Mooney birds out of car wrap vinyl.  It seems to be holding up OK.   The problem with bigger pieces is what to do with the rivet heads.  I was going to redo the disco green stripes with vinyl. It was not working out on the wings.

20151206_110158.jpg

I was thinking about doing a large mooney bird across the top cowl much like the old school firebird

thats cool

On 3/16/2016 at 5:41 AM, Danb said:

Is there any chance that's a wrap, I always wondered if a wrap would hold up on a plane? If so there are so many cool things you do. Especially advertising.

Wraps are done on planes all the time, even on jets and airliners. It's quite popular with the experimental guys. I'm planning to re-do the stripes and numbers on my plane with vinyl pretty soon. 

The guys doing full wraps on RVs claim that the wrap costs about 1/2-1/3 as a similar paint job and weighs about half as much as well. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, StinkBug said:

The guys doing full wraps on RVs claim that the wrap costs about 1/2-1/3 as a similar paint job and weighs about half as much as well. 

So just leave the bump in the vinyl caused by the rivets or cut out around it?

Leave the bumps. Where I used to live, the city buses were wrapped to advertise different events. You'd never get the cut outs lined up with the rivets, to say nothing of how bad several thousand white rivet heads would look shining through your color pattern.

1 hour ago, Yetti said:

So just leave the bump in the vinyl caused by the rivets or cut out around it?

Warm the vinyl a little and use a squeegee to form it around the rivet. It's time consuming, but looks just like paint if done well.

My hangar neighbor (directly across from my hangar) did a vinyl wrap on his RV6. From 30 feet away it looks pretty good and you can't tell it's not paint. Once you get real close you can tell the difference and I'm not so sure it's all that great. Frankly, I would prefer real paint, but the cost was around $6K to do the whole RV so it might be worth considering.

• 2 weeks later...