M20C Sat in Hangar for 10 years - Buy or Pass?

Hey Glafaille. I am new to the Mooney world and currently have a 1965 Cherokee 180C that I am trying to sell so I can get a Mooney.  I am in Fort Worth, If you find any around that you want to go look at, and Im available, I too will fly out with you in the cherokee to go get a look see. 

• Like 1

Supercop0184-

Thanks so much for the generous offer!  What great folks on mooneyspace.

I wouldn't sell the Cherokee until you find a Mooney!  That would put you in the same boat as me.  Hard to track down all these planes in out of the way places without a plane.

I'm thinking of expanding my search to include other manufacturers to better my chances of scoring a suitable aircraft before I hit 65.  I'm 59 now and haven't had much luck thus far.

Having friends with planes will improve my odds.

1 minute ago, glafaille said:

Supercop0184-

I wouldn't sell the Cherokee until you find a Mooney!  That would put you in the same boat as me.  Hard to track down all these planes in out of the way places without a plane.

I'm thinking of expanding my search to include other manufacturers to better my chances of scoring a suitable aircraft before I hit 65.  I'm 59 now and haven't had much luck thus far.

However, having friends with planes will improve my odds.

Don't discount a Piper Comanche, while not as efficient on the same power, they have many strong points.

Clarence

1 minute ago, glafaille said: Supercop0184-

However, having friends with planes will improve my odds.

Don't discount a Piper Comanche, while not as efficient on the same power, they have many strong points.

Clarence

Including an owner here who could discuss every mechanical system with you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

58 minutes ago, M20Doc said:

Clarence

Just to add to Clarence's point.  About the only thing a C/E/F/J Mooney has over a similar vintage Bonanza/Comanche is a ever so slightly better NM/G and 2 (albeit more expensive) cylinders.  You really don't start to see a lot of difference until you get into the 231/252's which is a much different price point (and the useful load game starts) and your math must include O2 to see advantages.  

If your mission is a couple of trips per year and punching holes in the sky for 0-150hrs than you really do yourself a disservice by limiting yourself to Mooney's only.  The amount of late 60's aircraft in good condition with good radios these days is shrinking but there are still values to be found.  If you settle only on a Mooney then you are probably going to wait a long while or have to buy something that is reasonably airworthy but in need of a lot of $$$ to get radios, interior, etc. up to speed.

52 minutes ago, Marauder said:

Including an owner here who could discuss every mechanical system with you. emoji57.png

He even got to fly a J model yesterday.  He was wondering what happened to the acceleration and climb performance he's used to?

Clarence

52 minutes ago, Marauder said: Including an owner here who could discuss every mechanical system with you.

He even got to fly a J model yesterday.  He was wondering what happened to the acceleration and climb performance he's used to?

Clarence

It's in the gas tank.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, rbridges said:

haha.  isn't yours toting a 720 up front?

Yes it sure does.  But Piper did build a few thousand trainer versions with O-360's, 540's and IO540!

Clarence

If you go into things with your eyes open, and if you know a trustworthy expert, you can find real gems.  My '66E screamed "don't buy me" from the Trade-a-Plane advert a few years ago.  It had been out of annual for 16 years, and it was in Florida.  On paper it looked like the worst possible airplane to buy.

It was, however, very cheap so I went to look at it.

It turned out to have no corrosion, and after just 3 days I was flying it back to Maine on a ferry permit. It needed no major engine work; borescope inspections and oil sample analyses have all been good, and the lowest cylinder compression I've ever had was 77/80.  I did a lot of interior and avionics upgrades, few of which were essential, flew it to Sun'n'Fun and to Oshkosh, did my commercial rating in it and then, when I was sure there weren't any hidden problems, flew it to France where it has been superbly reliable. 

Not a bad outcome for an airplane that nobody wanted.  But not a risk I would have taken without having a brilliant A&P.

• Like 4

On 2/5/2016 at 10:39 AM, steingar said:

Steingar sayeth that an airplane that is unairworthy is scrap, and is only worth scrap value..

100 % correct.

Offer scrap price for it, I like to start at $12,000. I'll go 12 on the green and white C.,, no on the one that is a time capsule with the glove box. 

I bought mine out of annual, sitting for some years. I wanted a project.

I am having a good time working on it.  Oops, maybe I got a Rutland Reindeer cause I bought it sight unseen.But I'd do it again.

If you go see an airplane , you should expect to fly it. The seller should expect this. If not it is scrap. 

20151229_115935_resized.jpg

• Like 1

On February 5, 2016 at 10:15 PM, glafaille said:

Sorry gents for the confusion.  Maybe I should start a new thread or only talk about a plane that I am serious about.  So here is the run down.

Lubbock Aero M20C - The original plane starting this discussion.  It appears that it sat in a hangar for over 10 years without an annual and not flown.  Has flown less than 10 hours in the past 12 years, was annualed by Lubbock Aero twice in past 2 years.  Owner refuses to allow the airplane to be moved for a pre buy.  Looks nice online, 6 pack panel, 1990s radios with basic Garmin GPS, nice appearing paint and interior.  Low time on engine but old (1997), mid time prop subject to 100 hr AD.

Green and White M20C - Had a gear up landing within the past year.  Engine was NOT torn down and inspected per the Lycoming Prop Strike SB.  Have not seen a logbook entry documenting the repair of the airframe.  Perhaps it wasn't scanned and sent to me.  Located in Spring Branch.

Red White and Blue M20C - This one is a candidate, and I intend to go look at it this weekend.  Nice paint and interior, fuel bladders, recent overhaul and prop.  Old King radio package, KX170bs.  No GPS, nonworking PC wing leveler.

White Gray Maroon M20C - Drove 6 hrs each way to see this one last weekend plus hotel stay.  Dent in wing tip likely a big deal.  Has a nice Stec autopilot, 6 pack panel, mid time engine with old overhaul (1994), AD on prop, nice paint, fair interior, probably not compliant with SB M20-208B.  I tried to buy at the asking price, but wanted the seller to cover airworthiness squawks.  The seller will allow a pre buy where ever you want but will not pay for any squawks at all, airworthiness or otherwise.  Nice price though.  Seller is a nice guy, just has no room whatsoever to maneuver on the price.

I don't know if the market is heating up or not, but I'm sure "beating the bushes"!  Stuff is bound to fly up!

WOW glafaille!

You have been busy!

I have been flying (for work) the last week and have not been able to keep up with your search.

Good luck and keep looking.

Flying beard