Top Gun 2

Lot's of rumors for years, but my wife just sent this to me.  Evidently they are really working on it:

"Marianne Zumberge News Editor, Variety.com@marianniepants

Do you feel the need? The need for a “Top Gun” sequel?

Rumors of “Top Gun 2″ have swirled since the original touched down in 1986. Skydance CEO David Ellison confirmed that the project is in development and revealed its plot details at a “Terminator Genisys” press junket in Berlin, Collider reports.

“Justin Marks is writing the screenplay right now,” Ellison said. “He has a phenomenal take to really update that world for what fighter pilots in the Navy has turned into today.”

He added, “It is very much a world we live in today where it’s drone technology and fifth generation fighters … It’s really exploring the end of an era of dogfighting and fighter pilots and what that culture is today.”

Fans of the original film will be delighted to know that Ellison hinted that Tom Cruise will reprise his role. “There is an amazing role for Maverick in the movie, and there is no ‘Top Gun’ without Maverick, and it is going to be Maverick playing Maverick,” Ellison said.

Time to blast Berlin’s “Take My Breath Away” in celebration."

At one point they were talking about a Top Gun 2 where Maverick was the instructor and there was a hot shot young female pilot.  

Then "Stealth" bombed (I actually liked it) and hadn't heard much of a sequel since - especially since Tom Cruise and Paramount split ways a while back.

It may not have been the best aviation movie, but who doesn't love TOP GUN?  I'm looking forward to it.

-Seth

• Like 1

Originally the movie makers said there would never be a TopGun 2 because of the expense and all the cooperation needed by the military. The movie makers had to pull a lot of strings to get the military to help in the original. If this happens it should be interesting to see how and if it turns out.

My brother was a TopGun Instructor and said the movie and real world ops are very different. In real world there is no real level of competition or rivalry between the pilots like the movie depicted, but of course the movie makers had to have something to make a movie about so bring on TopGun 2.

All that being said bring it on. I'll watch TopGun 2.

I watch TopGun every time it comes on the tube, it never gets old, but I also miss the 70s/80s..  :)

-Tom 

• Like 1

Wow, that's Kelly McGillis? I looked at some other photos, and that's certainly not one of her better recent ones, but even in the better pics she hardly looks like the same person. Most of the time even with aging you can see the same basic face, but hers looks like it's been sculpted in a few ways. But I guess age captures us all at some point.

I attended Air Force Fighter Weapons School back in the '70's, and I assure you there was very little reality in the Top Gun portrayal of training. 'Maverick' would have wound up a supply officer in Diego Garcia, at best, for pulling any of those those shenanigans. Actually his characterization was of a self obsessed loser. Also consider that F-4 stick and rudder flying back then was much less computer dependent than these days, and there was a lot less micro management from the ground to the cockpit. The good ol' days.  B)

Still some great flying sequels and a wonderful soundtrack in that movie. Good luck with any Top Gun II.

• Like 1

I think it would be great provided the air footage was actual air footage if they make another computer generated imagery film I might as well watch cartoons and would not waist my time.  the movie Tuskegee airmen was excellent the movie Red Tails I cant even get past ten min's.

As for the story well that's all taken with grains of salt but I really did enjoy the original and when I see its on ill tune in but I usually only watch the aviation sequences. I had an 84 Kawasaki 900 Ninja same as Maverick but I only raced other bikes not F14's.

He added, “It is very much a world we live in today where it’s drone technology and fifth generation fighters … It’s really exploring the end of an era of dogfighting and fighter pilots and what that culture is today.”

-Seth

When the F4 Phantom was designed the same thing was said that the dog fight was over it was produced without a gun only missiles.  Then came Vietnam and out of that came Top Gun.  Much has changed since Top Gun 1 the F14 Tomcat has been retired and much newer sophisticated fighter jets and drones are flying today.

Maybe Top Gun 2 and Terminator 10 will meet. ;) 

I firmly believe that we need the top of the line fighter jets but at the same time I'd still produce 10 F-18s, F-16s and F-15s to one F-35 overwhelm the enemy with numbers after the top of the line fighters achieved air superiority. :)

When the F4 Phantom was designed the same thing was said that the dog fight was over it was produced without a gun only missiles. Then came Vietnam and out of that came Top Gun. . :)

First for the Navy and shortly thereafter for the Air Force. We got an internal nose gun, finally, with the F-4E.

Through the 50's and most of the 60's old bomber (SAC) generals were running the Air Force. They never grasped tactical air combat and viewed fighters as only a tool to protect their bombers. So they eliminated our dog fighting guns and training in favor of stand off missiles. A big mistake that cost too many good men attempting to dog fight with missiles not designed or suited for close in tactical fighting.

IMNSHO Curtiss LeMay did the USA no favor.

• Like 1

I've had a book, "Great American Fighter Pilots of WWII", since I was 10 years old. It was published in the early '60s. The last chapter of the book laments the end of the dog fight, saying any future air-to-air engagement would be missile only. A few years later, they would find out how wrong they were.

If anything, modern stealth technology may cause dogfighting to become very relevant again as the only way to fight may be with guns as missiles won't lock (both Radar and IR stealth).

It'll be tbe ACM and getting a good guns shot - or drones doing the same.

-Seth

If anything, modern stealth technology may cause dogfighting to become very relevant again as the only way to fight may be with guns as missiles won't lock (both Radar and IR stealth).

It'll be tbe ACM and getting a good guns shot - or drones doing the same.

-Seth

I can assure you that an Aim-9X has no problem locking anything "stealth." And decoying a modern IR missile is exceptionally challenging thanks to modern computer processing. They don't just see heat- they see the entire airplane much like our eye does, and are not easily fooled.

The 35 year old F-15C (mechanically controlled flight controls- just like your Phantom, Fantom). I fly now is still tactically relevant today- just as much as the 10 year old F-18E (digital fly by wire) was I flew before I left the navy.

Having a ninja or two on the battlefield is nice, but sometimes all you really want is a big mass of grunts.

Stealth is only stealth to the systems it was designed to counter- and the dogfight is still very much alive in the skies. Just like with our mooneys- everything in aviation design is a compromise... More fuel? Less weight available. More weight available? Slower top speed/climb. Faster top speed? Worse slow speed handling. Etc etc.

• Like 1

First for the Navy and shortly thereafter for the Air Force. We got an internal nose gun, finally, with the F-4E.

Through the 50's and most of the 60's old bomber (SAC) generals were running the Air Force. They never grasped tactical air combat and viewed fighters as only a tool to protect their bombers. So they eliminated our dog fighting guns and training in favor of stand off missiles. A big mistake that cost too many good men attempting to dog fight with missiles not designed or suited for close in tactical fighting.

IMNSHO Curtiss LeMay did the USA no favor.

The F-4... The original JSF (F-35).

Apparently we didn't learn our lesson with the new JSF... The F-35B/C have no internal gun... And the F-35A only carries 150 rounds.

Sigh... Here we go again...

The 35 year old F-15C (mechanically controlled flight controls- just like your Phantom, Fantom). I fly now is still tactically relevant today- just as much as the 10 year old F-18E (digital fly by wire) was I flew before I left the navy.

That's why I still lust after the Eagle and the Warthog....

Having lost my flying virginity in a Phantom, that's what I still miss and dream about....often. Flying a Mooney is nice, different, and less demanding, and I get to make most decisions, but being strapped in, practicing ACM is where my heart will always be.

You're a fortunate man, MO.  :)

The entire F-35 program seems out of control. FUBAR.

• Like 2

That's why I still lust after the Eagle and the Warthog....

Having lost my flying virginity in a Phantom, that's what I still miss and dream about....often. Flying a Mooney is nice, different, and less demanding, and I get to make most decisions, but being strapped in, practicing ACM is where my heart will always be.

You're a fortunate man, MO.  :)

The entire F-35 program seems out of control. FUBAR.

I am retired Army and we loved the Warthog.  It went Downtown for us.  Those guys were on our side.  They helped us take on the bad guys a company at a time.  

Not like the guys flying at 20,000' conducting basic flight manoeuvres taking out bad guys one at a time.

Last I heard the USAF was going to replace them with F16s.  (??????)

I am retired Army and we loved the Warthog.  It went Downtown for us.  Those guys were on our side.  They helped us take on the bad guys a company at a time.  

Not like the guys flying at 20,000' conducting basic flight manoeuvres taking out bad guys one at a time.

Last I heard the USAF was going to replace them with F16s.  (??????)

Back in the 90's there was a big push to replace the A-10s with the F-16s.  The local AF reserve unit that happened.  I also heard that the A-10 performed so well during Desert Storm that the USAF reversed their decision supposedly the A-10 even had an air to air kill.  However, history repeats itself and they may be on that kick again. The F-16 is a very capable ship but it is not a ground support aircraft.  The A-10 while not the prettiest plane in the fleet is the best ground support aircraft built even with its issues but any plane has them.

If I'm on the ground and need air support I'd much rather see a group of A-10s coming in over any other except for maybe puff.  I know the A-10s will be down low ans slow doing what I need.

I think the USAF should have 3 or 4 squadrons of A-10s freshened up with new avionics and slightly more powerful engines and or totally new airframes.

• Like 1