Fuel Gauges - G1000

This maybe a dumb question...but here goes.

I have the 51USG (102 total useable) tanks installed in my M20R however the G1000 guages only indicate up to 44.5 USG (89 total useable).

Is it possible to slect somewhere in the setup so that the tanks will indicate up to 51 g per side on the fuel guage or is it only  possible up to 44.5 USG? 

I don't rely on the guages and keep a running fuel log to ensure it is within plus/minus 3% when I refuel, but it would be nice to be able to see the figure on the guage.

Thanks,

Dave

Dave,

Try this on first....

What does your POH have for fuel totals?

I just reviewed the O's POH on my iPad...

47.5gal per side...official data.

They have a procedure that indicates how to officially fill the tank.

This unofficially leaves room to squeeze a couple more gallons in.

Are you following where I'm at..?

Now if your POH or STC says you have more than 47.5gal per side, then you have a good argument to go to the next step...

The Mooney factory is alive and well. They are working with Garmin to obtain updates for the G1000 system for WAAS and ADSB.

Adding and adjustment to obtain an accurate fuel display to match your POH is a fair question.

We have a Mooney factory rep here on MS (Stacy). He can probably help with that type of detailed request.

Best regards,

-a-

No, it is not possible on the G1000 to change the fuel tank size number.  The reason why it wont indicate above that is because the fuel gauges don't sense above that level on the G1000.  44.5 is the most it will show even on the Moritz gauges on the DX Model.

Taking into account what Dan has stated above...

It becomes more of a sensor/float design issue...?

To add value...

The float would need to be exactly at the top of the tank to measure the last gallon being added.

The sensor would need to be able to handle the non-linear variation of volume vs float height.

It can be done, but at an added cost/value

Fortunately, the FF meter has the accuracy to get the most out of the fuel system.

But, it still requires a fair amount of calibration and testing to prove it's accuracy for use.

Sounds like a wise idea to check that the G1000 system is accurately portraying the line when the tank is empty.

It appears, from O1 to O3, that when the tank is full, the pilot uses the fuel totalizer for accurate use of fuel.

The last piece of data being the progression towards E.

Best regards,

-a-

I'm not sure if you can go to,the setup page or not  to change it, I have 130 gal, Long range installed and I just adjust to the amount i put in up to the 130, if not maybe the Mooney service center can since they changed mine when the LR tanks were installed

• Like 1

Thank you for the responses to my question. It was as I suspected that the capacitive sensors in the tank only indicate up to 44.5 usg per side even though the tank holds 51 usg useable. What I don't understand is why the indicators don't stay on the Full indication until the actual quantity reaches 44.5 usg. From what I see, it is not a linear progression.

The flow indication & totaliser are very accurate and as mentioned previously, use that from a known quantity (physical marks on the filler tabs) to ensure I know exactly how much fuel is in the tanks. When refuelling, the amounts are always within 0.2 usg of the anticipated fuel upload.

I have since had another look at the 'setup' within the G1000 and have confirmed that mine is selected to the 102 useable as per the STC so there is nothing more I can do although I feel sure that as mentioned in other posts above, that this issue could be addressed by the V14 software upgrade.