How do you check Weather / NOTAMs / TFRs?

How do you check Weather / NOTAMs / TFRs?  

55 members have voted

1. 1. To get a pre flight weather briefing, I...

• Go online to my favorite aviation weather provider
    • Call FSS and talk with a briefer
    • Sometimes I do both, go online and talk with an FSS briefer for the same flight
  2. 2. To get my pre flight NOTAM's, I...

• get NOTAMs through DINS, the FAA's NOTAM website or Lockheed Martin's 1800wxbrief website
    • Don't usually check NOTAMs
  3. 3. I check TFR's with….

• An aviation App like Garmin or ForeFlight to show TFRs
    • I use the FAA's TFR map website (http://tfr.faa.gov/tfr_map_ims/html/index.html)
    • Lockheed Martin's Flight Services website as part of my briefing

Hey, George. I can't vote; I always call FSS to check weather, NOTAMS and TFRs. I watch weather on TV, web and NOAA site first. But FSS (1-800-WX-BRIEF) is my only source for NOTAMs and TFRs, but they aren't voting options and I must answer all questions or it gets kicked back.

Sometimes I ask for an abbreviated briefing, then I can find out just what I want to know.

I tried DUATS in '07-08, but wading through 45-50 pages of junk for a 2-hour flight got real old real fast, and now I don't even remember my username there. If I'm flying 400 nm southeast, why do I care about unlit towers 100 nm or more to the north of my departure airport? Or closed taxiways 150 nm to the west?

Weather radar, NOAA and FSS, that's me. But then again, I keep sectionals in the plane and use them for preflight planning, even when going IFR with/without IMC. I like the additional information vs low enroutes. I'm transitioning into electronic charts and plates, especially for preflight planning, but hate being dependent on batteries to know where I am. Plus I sometimes go flying when away from the house without either tablet, and don't always want to run home and get the durn thing. Burger runs are sometimes quite spontaneous, and in the past have included Lunken, an airport that I don't want to fly in and out of without a reliable chart. Then my only planning will be a call to FSS from the hangar.

Hey, George. I can't vote; I always call FSS to check weather, NOTAMS and TFRs. I watch weather on TV, web and NOAA site first. But FSS (1-800-WX-BRIEF) is my only source for NOTAMs and TFRs, but they aren't voting options and I must answer all questions or it gets kicked back.

Updated with a Phone call option for all of the above.  Thanks!

WingX

WnB

FSS call

Bigger picture:

Weather channel

What has changed...(in recent years)

The number of TFRs has increased... The FSS call used to take care of this. WingX gives a graphic display of how big and where they are... The most recent picture is brought along on a tablet. ADSB-in provides some updates at altitude... Too much (for me) information to comfortably transcribe/memorize/picture from just a phone call.

Weight and balance can be put into the known category using an APP. Easily calculated, accurately for every flight.

Density altitude and it's effect on T/O performance can be put in the known category prior to T/O...

Accuracy and recent data is important to using these sources. Making a call takes care of any question about the time or accuracy.

It is also nice to know...

How well the aircraft is performing compared to book values. Using a WAAS source, there is an APP for that too...

Would like to have...

An interactive app that can calculate T/O and landing distances to add accuracy (remove errors) to the old running a finger along the chart in the POH method...

Mooneys lost is an extra strong reminder of the importance of these details.

Best regards,

-a-

*** old DUAT user....

The way I do it was not always one of the choices.

If I'm trying to decide whether or not to go, especially for local flights, I'll often pull up SkyVector and rest my cursor over a few airports to look at their current weather and forecast.

If I decide to go, I check weather, NOTAMS, and TFR's on DUAT, then get a verbal with FSS.

DUAT:  For weather and TFR's, I first use the interactive maps.  I usually look at radar, echo tops, METARS, TAFS, freezing levels, AIRMETS (icing and turbulence), TFR's, and winds aloft.  I then get a standard brief.

I also check the boxes in the standard brief for NOTAMS.  Even though it gives me tons of NOTAMS, I look at the airport identifiers and only read those I'm interested in.

I connect my phone and tablet to the internet and start my two apps (Garmin Pilot and Naviator) to update weather and TFR's for a graphic display.  I then call and get a verbal briefing just to make sure I didn't miss or misinterpret anything.  Depending on the flight, I'll sometimes do the verbal with my hands-free while driving to the airport.

Bob

I couldn't take your poll either.

George, there is not right and wrong answer here.  The regulation says "become familiar".  Doesn't say how to do that.  If I'm planning a long cross country, I'll call a briefer (cause I'm old).  If I'm staying closer to home, I just plan a  short flight plan in the local area and then pack and load the pertinent information into my iPad and take it with me. 

Someday, I predict the FAA will discontinue Lockheed's flight services contract and there will be no briefer to call. 

George, I couldn't take you poll because my main source of almost everything is Fltplan.com.

I used to be a big DUATs user, but my son encouraged to become familiar with Fltplan.  It was a bit of a learning curve, but it really is a "one-stop" source for everything.  While it doesn't directly provide all the info (like TFR's) it has the links to everything I need.  Everything you need is printable, or you can email the briefing to your phone.

When you add in the fact that maps, approach charts, weight and balance, FBO info, FBO notification, fuel prices and passenger briefing cards are also thrown in, and it's all totally FREE, why go anywhere else?  It has apps for both Android and Apple

I use it for my Mooney, jets, everything.  Fltplan provides a traceable record that you got your briefing in case there is ever a question about your flight planning..

• Like 1

I use ADDS (http://aviationweather.gov/adds/) and file on fltplan.com.

Adds is an amazing site with a very intuitive interface and all the weather info I need. It even has a briefer written synopsis for areas which the phone briefer don't give:

http://aviationweather.gov/fcstdisc

And fltplan.com is the best site for filing and receiving a clearance. With texted/email transmitted clearances I can be ready to go as soon as I get the clearance on the ground. Garmin Pilot used to receive my clearances and plug them right into the app. I'm not sure if they're still doing that but it's pretty darn handy if they do!

Could have listed aviation app for all three (and with FIS-B one also has updated information in flight), although it weather is a significant issue I may well call LockMart to discuss specific questions I have.

There are also "big picture" weather sites I look at to get an overview. The one I go to most often is  http://maps.avnwx.com/

I know what your saying ;)  but 91.103 doesn't differentiate between long and short flights.

In a way it does. If the flight is vfr and in the vicinity of an airport then no weather reports are required. My longer flights are carefully planned, but many afternoons I just stop by the airport and pull the plane out and go flying with a quick look up at the clouds and windsock. I'm in a rural area and detailed planning would take all the fun out of it. I can see any weather issues for many miles and the closest airport is never more than 5 "Mooney Minutes" away.

§91.103 Preflight action.

Each pilot in command shall, before beginning a flight, become familiar with all available information concerning that flight. This information must include—

(a) For a flight under IFR or a flight not in the vicinity of an airport, weather reports and forecasts, fuel requirements, alternatives available if the planned flight cannot be completed, and any known traffic delays of which the pilot in command has been advised by ATC;

(B) For any flight, runway lengths at airports of intended use, and the following takeoff and landing distance information:

(1) For civil aircraft for which an approved Airplane or Rotorcraft Flight Manual containing takeoff and landing distance data is required, the takeoff and landing distance data contained therein; and

(2) For civil aircraft other than those specified in paragraph (B)(1) of this section, other reliable information appropriate to the aircraft, relating to aircraft performance under expected values of airport elevation and runway slope, aircraft gross weight, and wind and temperature.

I check everything through a variety of online stuff, file, and then call the briefer in the car on the way to the airport for anything non-local. I want to make sure that I have a briefing on file. For just a local fun flight I will call and just say I want to check for TFR's in the vicinity and not do much planning other than looking out the window.

In a way it does. If the flight is vfr and in the vicinity of an airport then no weather reports are required. My longer flights are carefully planned, but many afternoons I just stop by the airport and pull the plane out and go flying with a quick look up at the clouds and windsock. I'm in a rural area and detailed planning would take all the fun out of it. I can see any weather issues for many miles and the closest airport is never more than 5 "Mooney Minutes" away.

§91.103 Preflight action.

Each pilot in command shall, before beginning a flight, become familiar with all available information concerning that flight. This information must include—

(a) For a flight under IFR or a flight not in the vicinity of an airport, weather reports and forecasts, fuel requirements, alternatives available if the planned flight cannot be completed, and any known traffic delays of which the pilot in command has been advised by ATC;

( B) For any flight, runway lengths at airports of intended use, and the following takeoff and landing distance information:

(1) For civil aircraft for which an approved Airplane or Rotorcraft Flight Manual containing takeoff and landing distance data is required, the takeoff and landing distance data contained therein; and

(2) For civil aircraft other than those specified in paragraph ( B)(1) of this section, other reliable information appropriate to the aircraft, relating to aircraft performance under expected values of airport elevation and runway slope, aircraft gross weight, and wind and temperature.

I'd disagree.  The reg differentiates between IFR and VFR but not short or long (however that might be defined)

I get and check everything on my Garmin Pilot. As you go through multiple sources over the time you find out that they all produce the same results. It make sense of course. It is just the way how you use the product. Diffrent people peel bananas different way with the same result.

Notams are hardest. I go through them as much as I can and I still missed McGuire clearence delivery frequency outage this morning. It took me pretty long time to realize that before I call them on the phone.

So today I took a local flight, post maintenance.

I wasn't going to another airport, I was just going a few miles south of the airport to fly in circles and make sure everything is working OK.

The sky was crystal clear and the winds were calm. I could tell looking out the hanger door that all the runways and taxiways were operating. The only time there is a TFR in the area is when his highness visits. And he is in Hawaii.

I could tell from the ATIS that all the radio channels were working.

What else do I need to know? What else could a briefer tell me that would be pertinent to my flight?

I believe I was prudent and checked everything necessary for the flight.

Going on a cross country over the horizon, is a different story. I geek out on the weather for days in advance and get a thorough briefing from ForeFlight (DUATS).

• Like 3

As I suspected…everyone has their own preferred method.  No right or wrong answers just individual preference

In keeping with the highest standards of Mooneyspace, I strongly disagree. My way is the best. The rest of you are all wrong!

:-)

• Like 2

For weather and TFR's and notams I use Foreflight. I also visit weather sites like Accu weather. But last weeks trip down the sac valley every source was calling for heavy fog layer the metar and TAF were all saying low IFR. So as a go no go decider I had our passenger we were picking up take a pic of the sky and sent it to our phone, also called the FBO at the field we were going to. Both were 100% clear blue sky. So every normal source was wrong. Some of the airports we have visited have a real time camera on their web site. Before any trip and especially one that I have never or seldom made I visit there web site for information. Also I check Google satellite views and have even made the trip in advance by flying the route on Google Earth.