lsearcy

A quick question for those using a Go Pro outside the airplane.  (1) where are you mounting the camera? On the 172 I would use the tail tie down loop.  Are you using the wing loops? (2) What about the sticky mounts?  Do you trust that they will hold over a long flight? If you do use the stick mounts how do you remove them after your are done using them? (3) do you secure the camera with anything other than the mount?  Again on the 172, I would zip tie the camera as an added precaution.  (4) do you use the Go Pro studio for editing or other software (I use a Mac.)?  It seems to crash on me a lot. (5) What settings on the camera do you use (i.e. resolution) for the best video without using a lot of memory?  Any tips, tricks etc for filming would be appreciated.

Hi Guys,

As RocketAviator said, I use the GoPros regularly.  I've used the sticky mount on the top of the wing, the tie-down point under the wing and three different locations inside the cockpit wired into the audio panel.  You can see some of the video I've shot on Vimeo. Just search for my name, Paul Steen.

1) I've got a sticky mount on the left wing tip. The camera points in at the airplane. The go pro flat sticky is better than the curved. Make sure it's on a rib for stability. It's a bit shaky during take off but smooths out once airborne.

1a) I've also got a camera mounted on the right underwing tie-down point.  I have the LASAR tie-downs and basically replaced the bolt with some threaded rod of the same size as the go pro tripod mount. A couple of lock nuts and it's solid. I have it pointed forward with just enough angle to just catch the nose wheel in the picture.

1b) I've used a couple of interior mounts. One is a section of PVC pipe hung between suction mounts on the rear windows. That gives me a possible mount anywhere left to right in the cockpit. I have an audio cable that connects to the rear audio ports and puts all the audio chatter on the video. I've also used the go pro bar mount to mount the camera on the center strut at the windshield.

2) I've been using the sticky mount for almost two months now and it's still holding. I don't know how to remove it as it's still attached.  I'm planning to use some fishing line to slice through the sticky part and then slowly rub the remainder off with some pressure.

3) I would not use anything else to secure the camera.  I would rather lose the camera than have it flopping around on or under the wing.  The mounts seem to be plenty good up to the speeds we go. 

4) I use iMovie on the Mac. It seems to work better than the GoPro software.

5) It really depends on the camera you have.  I have the GoPro 3 and so use the 1080p wide setting. I use both 32GB and 64GB cards and they last much longer than the battery regardless of the setting.  If you're running out of memory, just get a bigger card.

Check out my gallery for close up pictures of the mounts.

Hi Bonal,

Actually I have once.  http://mooneyspace.com/topic/12669-kfsd-to-kmsn-on-the-way-to-oshkosh/

Also this thread has pictures of my mounts.

http://mooneyspace.com/topic/13493-new-camera-mount/

I haven't really made a good video, properly edited with music, voice over, etc. I'm still working out exactly where the mounts work best to give the best picture.