Luggage door opened on T/O

ncdmtb

The message about locking the baggage door has been out in the Mooney communicty for some time.  Our aircraft are in many cases decades old and things fail.  The latch has gotten old and failed, and doors have gotten bent or come off in flight.  If you have the emergency egress kit installed (red clip on the inside) the door can be opened even if locked.

Pilot brains have not been updated in millenniae...

And they get older every day...

Distractions happen.

Never lower the door without latching it.

Same challenge with putting the gear down...

Don't rely on an old memory to go back and latch the door.

Airplane owners don't like to leave the baggage door open in a windy environment.

How many times do you check three(one?) in the green before relying on the gear?

Has this happened to you?

Best regards,

-a-

Anyone have any experience with replacing the locks on baggage door and main door? My lock in the door does not work and have always wanted to replace it so I could lock my plane up. Thanks. Troy

Those locks are relatively easy to obtain as they are similar to file cabinet and desk locks. They do have a unique "bar" piece, but it unscrews IIRC.

You do, however, want to consider the fact that locks on aircraft just "keep honest people honest". If you lock your plane and a thief really wants at an expensive piece of avionics in your panel, he's just going to cut a hole in your door. That repair, along with the lost avionics, will be a harder hit to your insurance than just the avionics.

• 2 months later...