Baggage door lock repair...any gotchas?

Immelman

My airplane (M20E) has been previously retrofitted with cylindrical locks for the cabin and baggage doors, keyed the same.

Recently one of two things happened - the baggage door lock failed, or someone gained entry to my aircraft and broke the lock in the process (nothing removed or tampered with inside, but I am none the less suspicious given other events at my airport, but that is another story). Either way, my baggage door lock is now stuck in the unlocked postion. The baggage door latch mechanism operates correctly.

Does anyone have experience in repairing or replacing these locks? Are there any gotchas to removal or reinstallation to be aware of?

the tab on the back side of the lock is peened on the lock cylinder. IOr, at least it is on a 1977J with that tab style latch. E you can remove the lock from the door to take to a locksmith to get it repaired, but the lock cant be disassembled.  The 1978-later units, the lock tab screws onto the lock cylinder. Perhaps they can look at what you got and substitute something. The actual rekeying was only 15$ for my bag door.

Well, what I have installed was supposedly an upgrade. Regardless, it came out easily and I took it to a locksmith who gave me some encouraging news. This is hopefully a < $25 fix... and will be keyed the same as before to match the cabin door (I did not want to have to take it apart!).

Well, what I have installed was supposedly an upgrade. Regardless, it came out easily and I took it to a locksmith who gave me some encouraging news. This is hopefully a < $25 fix... and will be keyed the same as before to match the cabin door (I did not want to have to take it apart!).

Ya gotta love it when a plan comes together. Glad it worked out so well.

Not looking to highjack this tread, but my newly bought M20K Rocket comes with a Medeco bagage door key, those are not duplicable without proof of ownership of the object. Now I would like to copy the key to have doubles in case I loose the original ones.

On the key it says : "Do not Dup W/O card imprint and signature" , does anyone know how I could get a paper as such from a 35 year old plane ?

Thanks !