Practical IFR advice

RobertE

Talking about cooperative ATC...

This past Friday, I had planned a non-stop flight from BED to SNA via a routing (KBED HYLND SYR HEC.KAYOH5 KSNA) that I have used dozens of times in the past. The was some convective weather along the route, but the routing would have taken us comfortably north of it along the great-circle route. Just as we were crossing over into New York, ATC came up and gave us the mother of all reroutes - basically they wanted us to turn about 90 degress and go direct SAX, then keep going south along the southern US border into southern California. We plugged the route into the FMS and checked our fuel status. The reroute was going to add 2+ hours to our flight time and require 30 minutes more fuel than we had on board. We mentioned that to the controller and he said he would check to see if they could offer us a better routing. I told him if they couldn't we would end up having to land somewhere for additional fuel. The controller came back a few minutes later and said that we would have to remain on the revised routing. We immediately asked for a climb to FL380 and slowed to long-range cruise to "start making some fuel" (Jets are good like that.) A little while later we asked for FL400. Once we were handed off off to a new controller we started "working" them for "direct somewhere down the line" routings. They told us they didn't understand why we'd been given what we'd been given, but they were very cooperative and it wasn't too long before we were finally cleared direct TNP (Twentynine Palms) and then it was game on. We stayed at FL400 and were able to let our speed come back up to .84 mach. This little reroute only ended up costing us 25 minutes additional time. My point in all of this? Everything is subject to negotiation. Granted, sometimes you won't get very far, but that shouldn't keep you from trying. In our case, whatever had been driving their decision for our specific reroute had gone away fairly quickly and we were able to get cleared back on to a much more cost effective routing. As it was, we were able to land at SNA to drop off our company people and then continue on to SBA without having to refuel as as per our original plan.  

Let me second how cooperative and nice to work with, ATC generally is...

I was returning from an IPC in Dallas.  While the weather was beautiful in Dallas, the weather at home in Austin was deteriorating.  I diverted West and was able to squeeze between the MOA's around Killeen and the convective weather over Temple.  I was pretty low to stay out of heavy rain.  Austin Approach called me and asked if I had weather radar onboard.  Now my M20C is very well equipped, but I don't have weather radar.  I responded but ATC couldn't hear me.  Then the request to ident if I could hear them.  After the ident, Approach said there was extremely heavy weather over the KAUS and everyone was holding.  They knew I was going to Smithville (84R) and had two route suggestions.  First I could go direct 84R from my position as they were seeing a 20 mile wide corridor between cells that I should be able to get through.  Second, I could continue South and West and then turn East over San Marcus, skirting around the South end of the convective activity.  They reminded me I was Radar Contact and I could choose either option.  They would see my decision on Radar and accommodate.  I could see the corridor on my iPad and decided to take it.  This went right through the approach to KAUS between the runways and the CENTEX VOR.  But they were happy to accommodate and I made an uneventful flight to 84R.  Of course as I got closer to KAUS, I regained 2-way communication with Approach and was able to help them with a PIREP.  The landing was in a strong cross wind, but uneventful and was able to tuck the plane away in the hanger.

Here's a picture of the route.  But I must say, I was very impressed with how pleasant the guys were to work with even with all the weather activity and lots of flights diverting and holding.

Talk about being cooperative...on Saturday I was making my way through local buildups all throughout central and north Florida, trying to get home to PDK. With both XMWX and Stratus ADS-B NEXRAD, I was able to stay in the clear and I think experienced less than 30 seconds of actual precipitation, but there were some great diversions.  At one point ATC simply said "divert as necessary and just let us know when you're back on course."  I had free reign to go where I needed to to be safe.  My hats off to the entire ATC crew on that day.

post-7200-0-03232100-1405337780_thumb.pn

I have a copy that I was given by an FBO that I give my instrument students. When one student is done, he signs it, then will send it on to another student, etc. Eventually, when there is no more room for signatures, I am going to try to locate the estate of Richard Taylor and send it to them, along with a note of thanks for positively affecting all of the enclosed signed instrument pilots. I assume he is not with us any longer, as he was a full prof. at OSU 50 years ago. 

I'm halfway through the Taylor book (4th edition) and am surprised at how well it fills in practical areas that I didn't know.

It's also so incredibly dated, pre-cell phone ("go to the nearest phone booth when you are ready to depart") and written just as GPS was being introduced "If we can believe what we hear from our government, GPS will eventually replace Loran, but don't hold your breath".

Getting digital weather pictures, icing, etc... Before you go and in the cockpit...

Filing a plan online.

Obtaining your IFR route by text / cell phone.

Programming it into a digital box.

Receiving your clearance and Void Time by cell phone.

All serious conveniences that minimize errors.

It took a very long time to get here...

Best regards,

-a-

All of this is excellent advice. I would add, the word "unable" works much better than emergency authority and usually gets a controller's attention in short order.

Which is what Taylor emphasizes. Don't be afraid to use those 6 letters.

Taylor's books are great, but I think Collins' books were much better. Taylor's best book is "IFR for VFR Pilots" and should be required reading for every newly minted PP. Takes about an hour and a half to read and is great if you don have an IR. Richard Collins, "Flying the Weather Map"...is really the best practical IFR book. IMO.

Taylor's books are great, but I think Collins' books were much better. Taylor's best book is "IFR for VFR Pilots" and should be required reading for every newly minted PP. Takes about an hour and a half to read and is great if you don have an IR. Richard Collins, "Flying the Weather Map"...is really the best practical IFR book. IMO.

I found Richard Collins' Book, "Flying the Weather Map" a difficult read and never finished it.