Calling on my fellow Mooniacs

Mooniacs, 

I am curious if anyone can look into their manuals for the part numbers for the master brake cylinders on a 1978 M20C Ranger. Im in Afghanistan and my manuals are home. Found a pair on eBay that I could use. Also, part number for the brake calipers to? Thank you!

V/R, 

Philip

Philip,

Thanks for your service. Stay safe out there and hopefully you'll have some time to enjoy your Mooney when you get back.

If any of you guys have the parts he needs on-hand let's get 'em what he needs. If somebody has the parts step up and post your price. I'll kick in some $

Philip,

Thanks for your service. Stay safe out there and hopefully you'll have some time to enjoy your Mooney when you get back.

If any of you guys have the parts he needs on-hand let's get 'em what he needs. If somebody has the parts step up and post your price. I'll kick in some $

Dave, 

Thank you! 

I appreciate you wanting to help but I seriously couldn't ask anyone to do that. Mooneyspace has been a wonders of helps since 2010. All i could use is the advice from fellow mooneyspacers. 

• Like 1

Here is a good resource I have used before to save some money when dealing with brakes. Up front there is a cross reference section that shows the pn for each brake component and which aircraft they are approved for.  This is very valuable if looking for used parts.  Another thing I have found is that many of the Cleveland master cylinders are very similar if not almost identical even though they may have a different PN. For example look on page 60 and you will see the 10-49/A-110-37 master cylinder used on many Mooneys.  By looking in the chart on the same page you will see that the 10-49 and 10-54A are manufactured using the same parts with the exception of a spacer and different clevis end.  Guess which one is much more readily available and sells for less than half of the other one?  The same is true with wheel cylinders (page 87).

http://www.parker.com/literature/Aircraft%20Wheel%20&%20Brake%20Division/AWB%20Static%20Files%20for%20Literature/AWBPC0001-14.pdf

i did that last year to both, just the left one wants to be different.

I learned a long time ago in the vintage car business, that honing and rebuild kits for hydraulics is usually a waste of money and in antique cars it can be dangerous. That's why this year at annual in a couple of weeks, I'm replacing my left caliper cylinder, piston and seal with brand new. I took the advise of others and had it resealed twice, once by Top Gun and once by LASAR and it still leaks. Mind you, unlike cars, just the cylinder, piston and seal is costing me nearly $400 with tax and shipping. It's not even the whole caliper assembly, just parts of it. $400 buys you an entire new hydraulic system in car! :angry:

Oh well, I had to have an airplane... ;)

• Like 1

Neeper, where you at?  Where you stationed?  I'm at Bastion right now.  I replaced all rotors and pads with parts from aircraft spruce before I got here.  Price for these parts isn't bad and shipping was 2 days to San Diego.  Like bonal showed, different caliper/piston arrangements were used for different years.  I don't know if you have any time constraints, but it might be better to wait till you get home to make sure you get the right ones.

Neeper, where you at?  Where you stationed?  I'm at Bastion right now.  I replaced all rotors and pads with parts from aircraft spruce before I got here.  Price for these parts isn't bad and shipping was 2 days to San Diego.  Like bonal showed, different caliper/piston arrangements were used for different years.  I don't know if you have any time constraints, but it might be better to wait till you get home to make sure you get the right ones.

I'm inKAF at the moment. Stationed in Savannah. Just trying to get all the big ticket items ready for when I get home. Right now I have 3 instruments at a repair shop and looking for an alternator.