I'm dying here - should I buy the E :)

Go for it, I got my PPL at 50 but have loved aviation all my life. I wish I would have done it sooner but when I did the time was right and yes owning an aircraft is financially difficult but manageable and worth every penny.

Scott,

I feel your pain :)

HRM,

That is one beautiful paint job!

This "great deal" is beginning to look a lot less great.  It was out of annual for 3 years, and was only flown for 50 hours total since 2010.  That does not bode well for great engine life.  It has what I can best describe as a mixed up panel.  Crazy layout that would have to be adjusted.  W&B sheet doesn't match what I'm looking at on the panel... how much of the panel is legally installed?

• Like 1

And I was about to suggest changing the title of this thread to "I'm dying here—I should buy the E!"

Sounds like the one you found has the old 'shotgun' panel, where the instruments were thrown into random locations as if shot from a gun instead of neatly arranged in a sensible pattern. Things installed and not logged, with an out-of-date W&B, would certainly give me pause.

Good luck!

This "great deal" is beginning to look a lot less great.  It was out of annual for 3 years, and was only flown for 50 hours total since 2010.  That does not bode well for great engine life.  It has what I can best describe as a mixed up panel.  Crazy layout that would have to be adjusted.  W&B sheet doesn't match what I'm looking at on the panel... how much of the panel is legally installed?

That's a tough call. My E had not been flown much and was badly treated. The PO bought her, put 10 years of Maxwell Aviation annuals on her, a spectacular paint job and then a rebuilt engine--then I got her  :P  I think the plus of not having been flown much was the low time on everything.

You first need to decide how much $$$ you want to put into it, but I would not spend a dime until it had a very thorough overview by a Mooney cognoscenti. One of the great things about an orphan is that when you are through you have exactly the Mooney of your dreams.

If funds are a concern there ain't nothin' wrong with a good C model. Sure, it's 10 or 15 kts slower but you're looking at 30 mins difference in 4 hrs flying. Big deal especially if you like to fly. You do like to fly don't you?

Lots of good ones available at buyer's prices. Buy one set up close to what you want in in radios and stuff and go flying. Far better off buying what you want than trying to "build" what you want.

Look carefully at what your flying profile will be and if you find your pax load 85%+ of the time is you and maybe one more, a cheaper C model will fill the bill nicely.

Look at the Johnson bar gear and hand pump flaps for less maintenance and ADs.

• Like 1

Thanks guys :)

I'm not exactly new to Mooney.  The E popped up at a shop I'm familiar with for a prebuy and the potential buyer turned it down.  They thought I should take a look at.  When I say mixed up panel, it was a MIXED UP PANEL.  Friend called it a shotgun panel.

I was WAG at 25k to bring some sense to the panel... asking price of 45 + 25, is starting to get into some much nicer plane territory.  Plane had some good points, decent paint and interior.  However, it was three years out of annual, had some "typical" Mooney issues, nothing major...

Owner didn't like the value I put on his plane and I wasn't going to pay to fix the mess.  Funny thing, I exchanged PM's with another forum member who also looked at the plane (not the guy who did the prebuy) and passed on it for his own reasons too :)  Three potential buyers have looked at it and passed on it so far... Telling?

• 3 weeks later...

If you think there is a chance you might not pass your medical, hold off. The "Driver's License Medical" in lieu of a Formal third class medical thing is gaining some traction (AOPA just reported there will be talks with the FAA this summer). Once you fail your medical, it becomes harder to get it back. If the medical issue you had was truly temporary, then go ahead and get your medical back.