Mooney shock disk tool

Sabremech

I'm going to change the shock disks on my C model soon and I was looking for the tools to do the R&R. I saw the tool available from Hangar Toolbox, but decided since I make tools that I should just make my own. I'm on target for making my prototype for less than the cost of shipping for a rental. I'll post back here how well my tool worked or how well it didn't.

David

attachment=26324:M20 tool.JPG]

post-7497-0-36178600-1396704240_thumb.jp

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

Ops check on my tool for the nose is good. Did one of the mains today and have a minor change to make before I do the other side. I'm a little surprised how much force is required to compress both the old disks and new ones to get the collar bolt removed and reinstalled. It works easily using an impact gun to turn the threaded rod.

David

Ops check on my tool for the nose is good. Did one of the mains today and have a minor change to make before I do the other side. I'm a little surprised how much force is required to compress both the old disks and new ones to get the collar bolt removed and reinstalled. It works easily using an impact gun to turn the threaded rod.

David

Nice!

Any chance you'd lend it out if you are anywhere near Michigan?

The downspring tool is a roll of quarters , put the gear in a position where the spring is partially extended and slide the quarters between the coils , swing the gear manually until the spring is loose enough to slide off.....when you put it back in , manually extend the gear until the quarters fall out of the spring , and then collect the quarters when they fall out.....

• Like 1

My thoughts are to make this available to anyone who needs to use it for the cost of shipping both ways. I can also make a much nicer one than my prototype and sell it to anyone who would like to purchase it.

I hope to be done with my gear this week and then it would be available if someone is in need.

Thank you,

David

David,

My nose gear discs need to be replaced at the next annual. Mains were just done. Please keep me on your list as a possible purchaser of the set. I am in the process of building a tool collection and this would make a good addition.

Tim

I did the modification to the gear tool and then finished changing the main gear disks today. The tool worked as advertised and made the job easy for 1 person to accomplish. Here's a couple of pictures of the job finished today.

David

post-7497-0-59197200-1399257454_thumb.jp

post-7497-0-22235000-1399257481_thumb.jp

post-7497-0-98583200-1399257517_thumb.jp

post-7497-0-64991300-1399257574_thumb.jp

I'm going to work up the numbers of what it would cost to make these and then put it out there to see if there's enough interest to make a run of 5 or so. At a minimum, my rough looking prototype would be available to use.

Thanks,

David

How about just the plans? How much for that?[

You mean I have to measure something? You're making it tough on me! Haven't thought of that. I'll give it some thought, but probably doable.

David

I'm going to work up the numbers of what it would cost to make these and then put it out there to see if there's enough interest to make a run of 5 or so. At a minimum, my rough looking prototype would be available to use.

Thanks,

David

Let me know, David, I have an interest 

Mike

• 5 years later...
On 5/5/2014 at 7:50 AM, Sabremech said:

Thanks,

David

Did you ever end up producing these?  How did it go?  Do you have any available? 

26 minutes ago, craigsteffen said:

Did you ever end up producing these?  How did it go?  Do you have any available? 

I produced only the one which is with AGL Aviation. There wasn’t much of a market for producing multiples and I don’t want to get into the tool rental business.

Thanks,

David

• 4 weeks later...