Portable Electronic Approach Plates

For what its worth I am researching different EFBs.  I called Anywhere Map three times.  The telephone operator came across as very unprofessional and bothered by my calls. She had no concept as to what they were selling.  I asked if someone could go over the sustem with me on the telephone just to see how it performs certain functions. NOPE! I asked if I could connect with them remotely on the computer and go over it. NOPE!  The lady gave me two options to see their system:  Fly to Kansas or fly to Osh Kosh!  And this is after she put me on hold for 18 minutes by my watch and I am not exagerating. 18 minutes so she could brief herself on the system.  I guess she had to read up on it with me on the phone!  Needless to say I am not considering their system anymore.  If this is how they treat a potential customer how are they going to treat a real customer after they got the money? Very unprofessional.

On a refreshing note I called True Fkight and had the most pleasant experience.  All my questions were answered, a technical support person actually offered to connect remotely with me and show me the system which I did.  He even gave his cell number to call him if I had further questions.  Very professional and very willing to educate me on the details.

I have not ecided yet but i wanted to share these very different experiences with anyone interested.

Is anyone using their system (geo referenced) on approach plates?  

This sounds really good to me.  Is it hype or is it real?

Paper vs. glass makes no difference to me unless I can see my aiprlane on course.

Best regards,

-a-

Quote: allsmiles

On a refreshing note I called True Fkight and had the most pleasant experience.  All my questions were answered, a technical support person actually offered to connect remotely with me and show me the system which I did.  He even gave his cell number to call him if I had further questions.  Very professional and very willing to educate me on the details.

I have not ecided yet but i wanted to share these very different experiences with anyone interested.

I have an Av8or Ace with the approach plates and IFR charts installed and find it useful most of the time. Like someone before complained about the 696 and the zoom issues, I find the same problem with mine. It can be a pain if you want to see the entire page and need to scroll back and forth. I always keep a paper copy with me in case of a missed approach mainly.

• 1 year later...

I think I found a reasonable elecronic flight bag.  At the airport today, a friend had a Vizio tablet (Walmart $200).  On it he had NAVIGATOR. ($5/mo or $50/yr).  Any chart you want, sectional, IFR, Approach, Airport Information.. name it.  All there. Fast response too.  I was impressed.  Ordered one tonight and hope to pick up on Monday from Walmart near work.  I'll post Flight Review when done but he let me play with it awhile and it really does everything the IPAD does for only $200 + $50.  I figure go monthly as I usually only need charts every other month so that's only $30 per year.

Has some pretty good specs on it.  He has had it 2 weeks and it looks pretty good.

Stay tuned.

DrBILL

I use the Ipad2 with Foreflight - and need to update to IOS5

With my cross country flyging, the cost of paper charts over two years will cover the cost of the ipad and subscription.  And my laptop was on its last legs, so now the Ipad is my portable unit.  I'll print out approach plates and keep a paper sectional of my local area on board, but otherwise, the ipad and forefligth have made it so easy to keep all charts up to date and not have to worry about hoping someone will have something in stock before a long flight.

Quote: MB_M20F

Thought I'd reach out to the group to find out what you all use.

I have been using ReaderPlates on a Sony PRS-505. I find it adequate and practical in daylight but horrible at night due to its small non-backlit screen. What else is out there? Anyone using an iPad with either PDFPlates.com some kind of app?

Morten

Per FAA panel discussions at Sun-N-Fun this year an EFB (like Foreflight) is perfectly acceptable for us private pilots (did not press on the requirements for 135 operations) to replace all our paper charts (VFR and IFR charts, Approach Plates etc.).  I use Foreflight on my iPad and have a backup on my iPhone (no additional subsscription for the second copy). Foreflight on the iPad does have geo-referenced approach plates and they are great for situational awareness when combined with your GPS/ILS.  Given the pain of keeping paper charts upto date I have gone all electronic for the past year and find I use my charts more effectively. Updates are a breeze with Foreflight - you get auto reminders and downloads are the press of a sigle button.  Combined with my Garmin Aera, I now have all the functionaly of full glass panel navigation on my 1980 231.  Btw I have a backup AI on my iphone and ipad (iHUD from Aero Visions - a $10 app I think). Although not an official backup AI, it can come in handy if your electrics or vacc go TU (has happened more than once in my 19 yrs with the 231 and its single alternator and vac).  I usually have Foreflight up on my iPad and the iHUD on my iphone when I fly.  The iHUD is surprisingly stable and accurate (with accelerometer smoothing). Just plug into your ships power and have 6 hrs battery backup if your alternator decides to bite you that day.

I have an IPad on the yoke, plus another iPad in my flight bag, plus an iPhone in my pocket, plus a panel mounted 430W, plus an Aera 560, plus a VOR/GS, plus a DME. Do I still need paper? How much backup does one need? Is it supposed to survive an EMT attack? If so, I'd recommend a vacuum tube based devices. 

Paper? I find it absolutely hilarious what makes some of you sleep well at night. We are flying single piston engine spam cans. How is that for safety?  You want safety? Go to your neighberhood watering hole, slam 10 shots in a row and take a motorcycle for a spin. You're still be 3 times safer than flying GA piston single.

I pull up plates very efficiently and on demand on my GTN750. They are not georeferenced yet. Garmin expects to have the georeferenced plates with their OS upgrade for the GTN early next year. I'm waiting to see what that'll be like. I 'd consider mounting an ipad in my totally empty right radio stack if the darn thing would neatly fit there! But it's too big. I like my cockpit to be very efficient and sterile if you know what I mean. I want everything on my fingertips. An iPad on my lap or on the pass seat or having the pass holding it and wires everywhere doesn't do it for me.

Ridding motorcycles one is about 10 times likely to die than driving a car. GA per mile traveled is about 7 times more deadly than driving a car. So I stand corrected, motorcycle + 10 shots might be about equal to our little airplanes ;-)

I quit drinking years ago, but if I suddendly became too attached to my life, I'd still take my bike and 10 shots over either my Bravo or my Arrow. Or my recliner and paper plates ;-)

All joking aside, I still think a single iPad is more reliable than any other part in our aircraft including all the fancy Garmin gear.

Allsmiles,

One and half feet in the grave as my mother likes to tell me. On top of everything, sometimes I ride my bike to the airport, to fly my airplane to where my sailboat is at ;-) In the mean time, I'll enjoy another season of skiing.

Andy

P.S. If I ever win the lottery, I see a PC-12 with two motorcycles in the baggage compartment.

Astelmaszek, that's interesting. I do something similar with the exception of the sailoat!  Come skiing season I'll ride my bike to the airport to fly up to the mountains to go skiing! I figure I'll get a boat when I get old. Or should I say IF  I get old! Acoording to these statistics someone posted I may never make it.

Which makes me wonder, is this why you got the boat now with the bike and the plane?Laughing

Finally drank the Kool-Aid.

One of my employees offered me a 3G 16gig Ipad 1 for $200. I could not resist. Foreflight and an Ipad are amazing. It is crazy to think that every sectional, every low enroute, every approach plate, every airports information and my daughters wedding pictures are all on the Ipad.

• Like 1