I guess I have 13 months to live (just kidding)

Until recently I was using Avare as primary and FltPlan Go as backup, but Avare is going through a developmental shift and the new, supported version is unusable until they get further down the development path (one hopes).   So now I'm using iFly as primary, which is actually pretty good, and the legacy Avare as backup.   Avare is free and iFly has a pretty reasonable subscription.     The new Avarex is multi-platform, so supports android and iOS, and iFly supports both as well.    I'm an android guy, so FF and other iOS-only EFBs are not an option for me.

FltPlan Go doesn't seem to be getting as much development/support attention since it got bought.  These days it seems clunky compared to other options. People do seem to like it for filing, and their integrated data system is pretty nice, but not something I need personally.    

I use fltplan go as it’s free and the only other app besides FF and garmin pilot that will interface with my garmin 345 via bluetooth to show traffic and weather info on fltplan go charts in the app. 

• Like 1

Alex Gertsen  went to their booth yesterday and had a "come to the river" discussion with them. One of the Seattle Avionics guys called me at Alex's request to explain their NEW position after a week of blowback.

1) All lifetime subs will be honored and continue to receive chart updates with the existing legacy product. No product updates however will be forthcoming. What it is is what it is henceforth.

2) their new product will not have a lifetime sub nor will the legacy product lifetime sub be transferable.

THis is a far more acceptable way of handling things than arbitrary EOL of lifetime subs. EOL of product developement and rolling out a new product with different pricing is ok as far as I am concerned, YMMV.

Seattle Avionics in the past had sponsored the Mooney Summit with some lifetime subs and Alex and I felt it important to have them address their integrity posture having been associated with the Mooney Summit. We shall see what the forthcoming email says and what their actions are, but it sounds like they learned a FAFO lesson in short order.

On another note, CFI's can obtain the new product for $25/year

16 minutes ago, mike_elliott said:

No product updates however will be forthcoming. What it is is what it is henceforth.

To me this feels like a planned PR mission. Wait for the blow back and then throw everyone half a bone to get everyone to calm down so the bad press goes away. All it takes is one iOS or Android update to break the legacy app and then they get to say “oh we aren’t adding features to it sorry”.

I use foreflight so this doesn’t effect me what so ever, but companies pulling this crap pisses me off regardless.

Unless they are willing to provide bug fixes and support for future OS versions it’s giving an EOL without giving one.

• Like 2