Second Alternator for an E

Has anyone added a second alternator to an "E" model.  I am continuing to upgrade my E and it concerns me that I am so dependent upon the single alternator, especially if in IMC.  I am also playing with the idea of adding real air-conditioning (portable/removable) because I find the temperature inside the cabin in the summer insufferable.  I'm definitely a winter person.

Thanks in advance,

-mark

Can't help with the second alternator, would keep one vacuum horizon and one electric ring laser horizon, two sources of energy, worked in my cabin today, 95F in hangar, filled my B-cool with ice at FBO, 30LB full, runs for 1h, cooling power not tremendous, maybe 3000 btu but cabin is small, cut off airflow during taxi, cabin stays nice and cool, ice box stays at home in winter, if one is not enough, use two, permanently installed ac is at least $30k, semi permanent units suck hot air into the cabin which reduces their cooling power, ice box is good bang for the buck

Current flock of electronic ADIs are not electric ring laser horizon - more like solid state gyros.

You might consider a second battery for longer duration after a alternator failure.  Remember G5s and 275s have ample internal backup battery.

• Like 3

There really is no room for another alternator and to be redundant it would need a second belt, which would mean a double pulley on the crank shaft.

Keep current on your battery tests with your electronics.   If you have panel space consider adding an AV 30 to the panel.

I am not secure in the lithium battery in the plane yet, but  a SLA battery plugged into the cigarette lighter would power the avionics for awhile and be a lot cheaper.

B&c has a backup alternator for pad mount if you remove your vac pump but it’s not approved for us, yet?  Maybe field approval?  You can/should have good backup for your electric adi, but those battery backup’s exist for g5s, g3x etc.

• Like 1

On 6/15/2024 at 11:01 PM, Mark942 said:

it concerns me that I am so dependent upon the single alternator, especially if in IMC.

This is why I advocate not pulling vacuum.  I have G5, vacuum instruments, and a standby vacuum.   In a single about as solid as you can get for redundancy.  

• Like 2

The RCA 2610-3 is a great little unit. I replaced my old T/B with one. You can get it with a battery. Not sure the total life, but on a VFR flight a few years ago back from St George I turned the brightness down to about 60% and pulled the breaker on it to see how long it would last. A little over two hours later when we landed at KFUL I think it still had about 30-40% battery left from what I remember. 

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/pnpages/10-06437.php?gad_source=1&gclid=Cj0KCQjw4MSzBhC8ARIsAPFOuyU2tgc0ZAOBYvAl5UcM2-FYlK0nttDnulqoLMJ0qqLnjmAGXZ2PBO8aAmEQEALw_wcB

• Like 1

On 6/15/2024 at 11:01 PM, Mark942 said:

it concerns me that I am so dependent upon the single alternator, especially if in IMC. 

I would be more concerned with the single engine. 

• Like 4