Skyradar ADS-B and iPad HELP!

I'm looking at getting the ADS-B from SkyRadar for Wing X, but I had a few questions:

1) Does Wing X now support traffic?

2) Do we need the dual antennae or just the 978MHz system?

3) If you are using the iPad do you still use the GPS module or does the GPS work directly from the iPad itself?

4) Where have you placed your unit? Hat rack? Under the panel?

5) Are you using the remote antennae setup suction cupped to the back window or other location?

Thanks for everyone's help.

1. I do not believe it does

2. Only advantage to dual-band unit is ATC targets will plot if an ADS-B OUT aircraft is within 15 miles and within 3,000 feet of you. That least detail was left out by Vladmir and I wouldnt have bought it if I knew that.

3. The Skyradar box transmits GPS position along with the weather data via Wifi.  You do not need a GPS for the iPad unless you wish to use Foreflight.  We do.

4. For now, it is velcro'd to the back of the copilot headrest.  This is not quite high enough to block the shadow from the side of the fuselage and wing.  You must often turn 9o degrees to unshadow the antenna. We are going to put it in the hat rack with its own power supply and a belly-mount DME antenna.   That will solve it.

5. The remote antenna as Radenna shows it will help greatly over the box-mounted antennas. However, wing shadowing is a problem in this airplane. I am skipping that step and gong with a real antenna (Comant CI-105).  Its the same 100$, you just have to mount it and ginn up an RG400 coax with a BNC or TNC on one end and a SMA on the other. And the 12v receptacle in the hat rack issue.

I have the Sky Radar dual band and I can get reliable textual weather information.  I have not seen any NEXRAD images yet but so far when I’ve flown there were not any echoes nearby anyway.  I’m using the Ifly 720 GPS.  I have the remote antennas in the side window.  Maybe one day will add the belly mounted antenna for better reception.  I have not send any traffic with the dual band system even though I have been flying in class B airspace and in several class C air spaces.  It would be nice if the FAA would turn on the TIS broad cast in areas where mode C are required below FL180 and or class B and class C airspaces.

Quote: ToddDPT

I'm looking at getting the ADS-B from SkyRadar for Wing X, but I had a few questions:

1) Does Wing X now support traffic?

2) Do we need the dual antennae or just the 978MHz system?

3) If you are using the iPad do you still use the GPS module or does the GPS work directly from the iPad itself?

4) Where have you placed your unit? Hat rack? Under the panel?

5) Are you using the remote antennae setup suction cupped to the back window or other location?

Thanks for everyone's help.

Quote: FlyDave

WingX's chart splicing is no where near as good as any of the other programs. Again, see the attached pic. Hilton's response was as follows:

"We obtain our chart data from a third party and are working with them to improve the charting.  There are also several cases where our seaming is better than the other guys.  The FAA charts are inconsistent across boundaries so there is no perfect way to do it."

I don't see this issue in any of the other programs. If anyone has seen this in other programs please correct me.

Also, look at this map on the FAA's site to make sure you have ADS-B stations where you normally fly.

http://www.faa.gov/nextgen/flashmap/

There are plans to add more but be aware of the current stations.

I flew with NotarPilot from NC to CA and had hours and hours of no ADS-B coverage. We really needed it near Tulsa, OK as there was a nasty front moving through. Luckilly, Notar had a weather subscription on his 430.

Also, look at this map on the FAA's site to make sure you have ADS-B stations where you normally fly.

I flew with NotarPilot from NC to CA and had hours and hours of no ADS-B coverage. We really needed it near Tulsa, OK as there was a nasty front moving through. Luckilly, Notar had a weather subscription on his 430.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm having Nexrad issues with WingX also. Works fine on Skyradar app but it seems backwards on the WingX app. When I have no FIS B signal the screen is bright but dims when I get a good FIS B signal in the air (the opposite of what it's suppossed to do). I've turned it on and off several times to test and it's simply backwards since 6.2 (6.3 did not fix) and Hilton is not exactly a bundle of info. I tried reloading the app and databases with no luck.

FlyDave---did you ever get yours working??

Also, it's my understanding that if you a have a mode S (es) (coupled with GPS) then you will get all transponder equipped traffic on the dual band. Since the mode s xmits on 1090 it only activates that side of traffic and you won't see it with a 978 only receiver. I'm not 100% sure if that's the case but I'm considering selling my single band and picking up the dual if it's true.

I did a prelim writeup on the various features about a month ago on my blog, check it out:

http://redfeatherpilot.blogspot.com/search/label/ADS-B

I have the single band receiver, and so far have only picked up traffic ONCE despite flying around busy airspace quite often. I would not count on it for any meaningfult traffic info.

I mounted the receiver using double stick tape to the hat rack, and got the suction cup ADS-B antenna stuck to the aft end of one of the rear widows. GPS puck antenna double-stickied to the plastic trim on the bottom of said window. This setup works great and its out of the way, and clean.

Quote: flybuddy

I'm having Nexrad issues with WingX also. Works fine on Skyradar app but it seems backwards on the WingX app. When I have no FIS B signal the screen is bright but dims when I get a good FIS B signal in the air (the opposite of what it's suppossed to do). I've turned it on and off several times to test and it's simply backwards since 6.2 (6.3 did not fix) and Hilton is not exactly a bundle of info. I tried reloading the app and databases with no luck.

FlyDave---did you ever get yours working??

Also, it's my understanding that if you a have a mode S (es) (coupled with GPS) then you will get all transponder equipped traffic on the dual band. Since the mode s xmits on 1090 it only activates that side of traffic and you won't see it with a 978 only receiver. I'm not 100% sure if that's the case but I'm considering selling my single band and picking up the dual if it's true.

And you have not seen all the problems to come. As more UAT ground stations are added the mutual interference problem at altitude is increased. This is the same problem with cell phones. And unlike UAT that uses a single channel frequency (978MHz) cell phones uses multiple frequencies to alleviate the problem. Not to mention the added interference by the aircraft transmitting on the same UAT channel. XM\WX on the other hand does not have this interference problem because all the broadcast comes from a single satellite source thus no mutual inteference. The UAT mutual interference problem causes delays on the data delivered including weather and traffic. As you go higher in altitude the problem gets worse. To see what is like get a portable TV on your plane on your next trip. You will notice that you can only watch reliably one station for about 10 minutes before it gets interfere by another station on the same channel. Unlike traffic data weather data by nature is a lot of mega bits on a continuos broadcast fashion thus making the mutual interference problem worse for UAT.

José

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I am a new member here. Apolgoes for my last message. Somehow I am having a hard time posting!

Anyways, flying out of Portland, OR. Tried WingX 6.3 with iPad 2 and skyradar. I am just not able to see ANY NEXRAD weather at all!

I climbed up to 4000' ft but still no luck. Metar data is read in fine but just no Nexrad :((.

Has anyone got this to work? I am on the Free trial period for WingX so not sure if thats an issue.

I tried to search for an update based on the comment from a previous user but there are none in the app store.

Are there any other tricks to get this working? I am just frustrated. WE spent $1000 on the skyradar unit and WingX says it works!

my skyradar free trial ran out before I could try it out so I am evaluating which one to buy!

Any help is appreciated.

Cheers,

Runi

Quote: runi2012

Hi,

I am a new member here. Apolgoes for my last message. Somehow I am having a hard time posting!

Anyways, flying out of Portland, OR. Tried WingX 6.3 with iPad 2 and skyradar. I am just not able to see ANY NEXRAD weather at all!

I climbed up to 4000' ft but still no luck. Metar data is read in fine but just no Nexrad :((.

Has anyone got this to work? I am on the Free trial period for WingX so not sure if thats an issue.

I tried to search for an update based on the comment from a previous user but there are none in the app store.

Are there any other tricks to get this working? I am just frustrated. WE spent $1000 on the skyradar unit and WingX says it works!

my skyradar free trial ran out before I could try it out so I am evaluating which one to buy!

Any help is appreciated.

Cheers,

Runi

Quote: runi2012

I have been looking for more than a week and dont see any update posted for WingX. I have the same issue - no NEXRAD with WingX.

Perhaps someone has 'inside' info from WingX about this issue?

Thanks,

Runi

Runi,

It looks like it's available now from iTunes - although it has a date of 4/28/12. It says they added Traffic.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/wingx-pro7-aviation-moving/id378172082?mt=8&ign-mpt=uo%3D4

I hope they spent more time addressing bugs than developing "new features".

I don't have my iPad with me and won't get home until Sunday night. Let us know if you update and test it.