Panel Planning with G3X...what would you do differently?

7 minutes ago, ArtVandelay said:

No it doesn’t, at least not for me. This works with old GTN I guess, but the new Xi doesn’t seem to support this.

I'm not sure what part of my statement you're disagreeing with. But if flight plan transfer isn't working for you, I suggest contacting your installer. For GTN navigators it uses Connext and shouldn't be any different with the newer Xi models. See section 8.9 "CONNEXT COCKPIT CONNECTIVITY" of the G3X Touch pilot's guide.

I'm not sure what part of my statement you're disagreeing with. But if flight plan transfer isn't working for you, I suggest contacting your installer. For GTN navigators it uses Connext and shouldn't be any different with the newer Xi models. See section 8.9 "CONNEXT COCKPIT CONNECTIVITY" of the G3X Touch pilot's guide.

8.9 just refers to G3X connext, works great when GPS is set to internal.

See page 173, notice no mention of Xi:
d4a500efba537412f5236961ebddd1dd.jpg

And in Xi manual:

d32bad200015139e4e83d451213d8493.jpg

11 minutes ago, ArtVandelay said:

8.9 just refers to G3X connext, works great when GPS is set to internal.

See page 173, notice no mention of Xi:

And in Xi manual:

That 650xi manual just says "Service required. Contact dealer for support." So perhaps your dealer will install a software update that fixes whatever that issue is.

It should work like this: 

What happens when you try to do that? Have you asked a dealer or Garmin for help?

That 650xi manual just says "Service required. Contact dealer for support." So perhaps your dealer will install a software update that fixes whatever that issue is.
It should work like this: 

What happens when you try to do that? Have you asked a dealer or Garmin for help?

They installed the latest software, I have to try it again, they talked to Garmin but still haven’t gotten it resolved.

I have a G3X, G5, GTN 650 Xi. I can load a flight plan from ForeFlight through the G3X to the GTN using the G3X Bluetooth connection. It also works in reverse. G3X flight plan is set to external.

I have a GNC 255 for Nav/Com 2. The G3X will display and navigate on GPS1, VLOC 1 or VLOC2. The G5 is only connected to the GTN when used as a standby, so it will display and navigate on GPS or VLOC1 only.

I like to display the approach plate on Foreflight because it is a larger display. With the yoke-mounted iPad and the G3X I've never felt the need for the larger screen GTN. This arrangement allowed everything to be in the panel in one stack. I chose the PMA 450B audio panel because I like the user interface and flightmate feature for aural alerts. The AV-20-S is a tie breaker in case the two Garmin instruments disagree. I kept the original annunciator panel because I still have Gear Down, Gear Unsafe, Speed Brake, Pitot Heat, Volts Hi/Lo, Start Power, and Boost Pump annunciations. But, I believe that someone here found out that the company that makes these (International Avionics, Inc) will make a custom version, and I might explore that if I were to do it over.

Skip

N355DTNewPanel.JPG.e0f788297be1327546c2e4c41af36c20.JPG

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PT20J said:

I have a G3X, G5, GTN 650 Xi. I can load a flight plan from ForeFlight through the G3X to the GTN using the G3X Bluetooth connection. It also works in reverse. G3X flight plan is set to external.

Interesting, according to G3X installation manual, the flight plan must be set to internal?

IMG_2722.jpeg

1 minute ago, ArtVandelay said:

Interesting, according to G3X installation manual, the flight plan must be set to internal?

That is only for "flight plans that are created/edited on the G3X Touch". Generally most people don't ever do that. The G3X Touch has its own internal VFR-only GPS and flight plan capability that's handy if you have a VFR-only airplane that lacks an external navigator, but it's a confusing feature for everyone else. If you have a separate IFR GPS navigator, just use that, and avoid the G3X Touch's internal flight planning features entirely.

The G3X Touch will display information about your external navigator's flight plan, including the waypoints, distances, etc, but it's best to think of it as a read-only display. Use your tablet (foreflight or garmin pilot) and/or your separate GPS navigator only to input and modify flight plans.

You'll notice that in the video I linked above, the flight plan went straight from the ipad to the GTN 650. That's where he was able to load the flight plan, and where he could modify it or add procedures. The G3X Touch is only displaying the flight plan that is loaded into the GTN 650.

• Like 1

On 8/29/2023 at 8:24 AM, mhrivnak said:

As for layout, I like having the EDM 900 and backup G5 close to each other and in a central location. If things go bad and the PFD fails in adverse conditions, I like that my scan is now focused on these two instruments in one fairly central spot. They're also both visible from the right seat without too much trouble.

That's a very attractive panel!

14 hours ago, mhrivnak said:

The G3X Touch will display information about your external navigator's flight plan, including the waypoints, distances, etc, but it's best to think of it as a read-only display. Use your tablet (foreflight or garmin pilot) and/or your separate GPS navigator only to input and modify flight plans.

You'll notice that in the video I linked above, the flight plan went straight from the ipad to the GTN 650. That's where he was able to load the flight plan, and where he could modify it or add procedures. The G3X Touch is only displaying the flight plan that is loaded into the GTN 650.

My brain likes that simplicity.  When I finally got my head wrapped around the G500, that was the idea that made it possible.  G500 is read only.

I used https://hangarflying.com/ to help plan my panel out. It's a great tool for playing around with designs.

Here is my completed panel. After ~40 hours with it, I love it so far. Everything is easy to reach and visible. I use the tablet to push IFR routings to the GNX 375 which auto fill into the G3X. It's very easy to use.  I use the second 7" G3X for a larger map most of the time, and fail-over in case the 10" screen dies. In case of a 10" screen failure I would need a second screen to control my audio panel and radios since everything is remote. GNX 375 is a great deal for what it is. Screen size of the GNX 375 is a non issue for me since I have the 7" G3X, except for flight plan entry. That can be a bit of a pain if you have a lot of points on the GNX 375. Transponder integrates seamlessly with G3X. It also has built-in bluetooth for flight plan transfer and connection with your tablet for ADS-B, AHARS, etc. Autopilot is amazing. I use indicated airspeed mode for climb with altitude select to intercept my altitude.

I don't really need the tablet, but it's nice to have to manage the flight plan. I got a 10+ point route from ATC the other day. It would have been a hell of a thing to get into the GNX 375 directly.

Only down side. I don't have a nav radio. I haven't missed it so far, though I know many of you would. I don't fly (IFR) with bases under 1k anyway, so I don't currently miss it. Maybe one day there will be a way to add a remote nav/com.

IMG_2306.jpg.22dcc99a68bdb394c36cb87626f58a4c.jpg

Edited by gevertex
Adding about missing nav radio
  • Like 1

I kinda went hybrid/somewhat cheap and did the 10” G3x with EIS and used my right panel space for an iPad running Garmin Pilot so I can have full size or split screen whatever I want there- engine information, portrait IAP’s, synthetic vision, traffic, charts, etc.  it uses the air data on the G3X for airspeed/altimeter and even adjusts/syncs the baro when updated on the g3x. It’s not as good as a second g3x, but for the price, you can’t beat it.  The G3x pairs with the GFC500 so well, you can use the mechanical AP controller, or you can punch in whatever on the screen if that’s more your fancy.  

you’ll need to have the shop do real panel surgery to be able to fit it, but it’s worth it.  I was also able to flatten the CB panel and remove the center stack hump which was kinda cool as well.  

IMG_9043.jpeg

• Like 4

That is only for "flight plans that are created/edited on the G3X Touch". Generally most people don't ever do that. The G3X Touch has its own internal VFR-only GPS and flight plan capability that's handy if you have a VFR-only airplane that lacks an external navigator, but it's a confusing feature for everyone else. If you have a separate IFR GPS navigator, just use that, and avoid the G3X Touch's internal flight planning features entirely.

I can do GTN Xi to G3X, and the G3X will transfer plan to my Aera 660.
Mine definitely does not take flight plans from my iPad and GP doesn’t even show the Connext symbol until you switch to internal mode and if you switch back it just seemingly ignores you. In internal mode it works as expected.
There’s major differences between my system and everyone else’s. I have Xi and I’m using Garmin Pilot and the certified version of G3X. Most, if not all working examples are using the original GTN, FF, or experimental version or some combination of all.
Garmin has built a version of my panel in their lab and they’re going to try to recreate the problem. I sent my shop a link to a video showing the issue which they’re going to forward to Garmin, so we’ll see.

On 8/30/2023 at 9:49 PM, gevertex said:

I used https://hangarflying.com/ to help plan my panel out. It's a great tool for playing around with designs.

Here is my completed panel. After ~40 hours with it, I love it so far. Everything is easy to reach and visible. I use the tablet to push IFR routings to the GNX 375 which auto fill into the G3X. It's very easy to use.  I use the second 7" G3X for a larger map most of the time, and fail-over in case the 10" screen dies. In case of a 10" screen failure I would need a second screen to control my audio panel and radios since everything is remote. GNX 375 is a great deal for what it is. Screen size of the GNX 375 is a non issue for me since I have the 7" G3X, except for flight plan entry. That can be a bit of a pain if you have a lot of points on the GNX 375. Transponder integrates seamlessly with G3X. It also has built-in bluetooth for flight plan transfer and connection with your tablet for ADS-B, AHARS, etc. Autopilot is amazing. I use indicated airspeed mode for climb with altitude select to intercept my altitude.

I don't really need the tablet, but it's nice to have to manage the flight plan. I got a 10+ point route from ATC the other day. It would have been a hell of a thing to get into the GNX 375 directly.

Only down side. I don't have a nav radio. I haven't missed it so far, though I know many of you would. I don't fly (IFR) with bases under 1k anyway, so I don't currently miss it. Maybe one day there will be a way to add a remote nav/com.

IMG_2306.jpg.22dcc99a68bdb394c36cb87626f58a4c.jpg

On 8/29/2023 at 6:25 PM, PT20J said:

I have a GNC 255 for Nav/Com 2. The G3X will display and navigate on GPS1, VLOC 1 or VLOC2. The G5 is only connected to the GTN when used as a standby, so it will display and navigate on GPS or VLOC1 only.

On 9/7/2023 at 10:32 AM, ArtVandelay said:

Most, if not all working examples are using the original GTN, FF, or experimental version or some combination of all.

I have essentially the same config as Skip and have no issues with Foreflight flight plan transfer to the 650xi using the G3X bluetooth, with G3X flight plan set to external. I just got the airplane back Friday and have a very small sample set to draw from. But, it works.

Could the issue be with your Garmin Pilot setup somehow? Just spitballing.

IMG_4896.jpeg

• Like 1

On 9/7/2023 at 8:55 AM, Pinecone said:

I am planning a similar setup, but got a good deal on an AERA 760 for the right side.  

Does the Aera 760 have a way to show EIS? (I know the iPad can do it via GP but I’ve always been confused about whether this feature is available in the 760.)

On 9/6/2023 at 4:31 PM, 81X said:

I kinda went hybrid/somewhat cheap and did the 10” G3x with EIS and used my right panel space for an iPad running Garmin Pilot so I can have full size or split screen whatever I want there- engine information, portrait IAP’s, synthetic vision, traffic, charts, etc.  it uses the air data on the G3X for airspeed/altimeter and even adjusts/syncs the baro when updated on the g3x. It’s not as good as a second g3x, but for the price, you can’t beat it.  The G3x pairs with the GFC500 so well, you can use the mechanical AP controller, or you can punch in whatever on the screen if that’s more your fancy.  

you’ll need to have the shop do real panel surgery to be able to fit it, but it’s worth it.  I was also able to flatten the CB panel and remove the center stack hump which was kinda cool as well.  

IMG_9043.jpeg

Nice glare shield lights! What did you use?

On 9/11/2023 at 10:59 AM, PT20J said:

Nice glare shield lights! What did you use?

They were some led strips tied into a new maxdim dimmer which allowed me to get rid of that old dimmer which had the fuses made of unobtanium.  I don’t recall the exact strips used but they did turn out really nice especially with the new panel labels.  

• Thanks 1