Jump to content

1990 M20J MSE For Sale


James Frank
 Share

Recommended Posts

I'm selling my 1990 MSE.  It's a fantastic airplane.  Original paint and interior in excellent condition.  One meticulous owner the past 23 years. Always hangared. I have not had it long but it is just not the right airplane going in and out of a grass strip we frequent. Didn't realize how rough the strip was until I started flying the Mooney out of there.  Also, I have had several Mooney's over the years but they have gotten smaller over time.  1765 TTAF with 550 SMOH.  NDH. Fresh annual just completed.  In Atlanta, GA Jim 404-550-1550

IMG_0660 2.jpeg

IMG_0675 2.jpeg

IMG_0636 3.jpeg

IMG_0638.jpeg

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Small world……. I almost purchased 64SZ from Otis (his middle name as I don’t recall his first) back in early 2009.

Owner and I had come to terms. I was at my local airport, waiting to board commercial departure to participate with pre-buy inspection . Cell phone rang and owner said, Mitch, don’t come.  Wobble test discovered problems. 

64SZ was such a beautifully maintained MSE, I attempted further negotiations with owner, to no avail.

He wound up having new engine installed, propeller overhauled and kept the plane, until recently obviously.

Incidentally, 64SZ came from factory with a chromed propeller.  During my research of the plane, I verified with our dear beloved late Bill Wheat, that indeed, it was a chromed prop from the factory.  With propeller OH, owner decided to strip chrome and refinish with paint.  

Based on my experience with Otis, if he continued to maintain 64SZ during his ownership, I suspect it’s still a gorgeous airplane.  If I recall, Otis was a retired airline Captain.

Best to you with selling Jim.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, MooneyMitch said:

Small world……. I almost purchased 64SZ from Otis (his middle name as I don’t recall his first) back in early 2009.

Owner and I had come to terms. I was at my local airport, waiting to board commercial departure to participate with pre-buy inspection . Cell phone rang and owner said, Mitch, don’t come.  Wobble test discovered problems. 

64SZ was such a beautifully maintained MSE, I attempted further negotiations with owner, to no avail.

He wound up having new engine installed, propeller overhauled and kept the plane, until recently obviously.

Incidentally, 64SZ came from factory with a chromed propeller.  During my research of the plane, I verified with our dear beloved late Bill Wheat, that indeed, it was a chromed prop from the factory.  With propeller OH, owner decided to strip chrome and refinish with paint.  

Based on my experience with Otis, if he continued to maintain 64SZ during his ownership, I suspect it’s still a gorgeous airplane.  If I recall, Otis was a retired airline Captain.

Best to you with selling Jim.

 

Wobble test ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ah ha!!  Upon further reflection, my old memory is wobbling a bit..................It's Lycoming SB388C.  Thank you Anthony.  During the wobble test on the engine, it was discovered a lifter had broken [don't recall which cylinder, or which valve], but part of the lifter had fallen into the crankcase.  At least that's what I recall being told.  Regardless, the engine had to come apart, I was also told.  The aircraft/engine/prop had approximately 1200 hours TT.

With that, I began the price negotiation.  Again, to no avail.

All this information is irrelevant to the current topic of this beautiful airplane for sale.  It's just fun to travel down memory lane. :D

Maybe my losing 64SZ was meant to be, as it lead me to my dream airplane........211MJ

Ovation cover.jpg

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Note for DC…

See if you can get the electronic copy of the logs…

There will be a nice line indicating how the engine was updated, making the valve issue… a non-issue…. :)

reading the logs for this plane can be fun… they will be a lot shorter than reading War and Peace.

The only thing odd that stands out in the pictures….  The passenger seat belt buckle isn’t buckled, yet….   :)

Good luck,

-a-

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, carusoam said:

The only thing odd that stands out in the pictures….  The passenger seat belt buckle isn’t buckled, yet….   :)

Now that you mention this…… in one photo, the cowl appears to be a different shade of white relative to the rest of the airplane.  I don’t recall this way back when, but it could be my wobbly memory again. :lol:

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, carusoam said:

James,

Is that a spare M20J wing you have there?

Every now and then there is a request around here for one…

Just wondering if you are going to keep that…

Best regards,

-a-

That wing mite not be for a J

I can attest that Jim's Mooney (and all his airplanes) are kept in the finest condition.  You will not find a better airplane than one that rolls out of his hangar.  Somebody is going to get a sweet one here!

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/26/2022 at 11:37 PM, MooneyMitch said:

Ah ha!!  Upon further reflection, my old memory is wobbling a bit..................It's Lycoming SB388C.  Thank you Anthony.  During the wobble test on the engine, it was discovered a lifter had broken [don't recall which cylinder, or which valve], but part of the lifter had fallen into the crankcase.  At least that's what I recall being told.  Regardless, the engine had to come apart, I was also told.  The aircraft/engine/prop had approximately 1200 hours TT.

With that, I began the price negotiation.  Again, to no avail.

All this information is irrelevant to the current topic of this beautiful airplane for sale.  It's just fun to travel down memory lane. :D

Maybe my losing 64SZ was meant to be, as it lead me to my dream airplane........211MJ

Ovation cover.jpg

That IS SEXY, sweet, and Smoking...what a BEAUTY !!!  Would love to see more pics and alos of cockpit.  What Year?

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/25/2022 at 10:52 PM, James Frank said:

I'm selling my 1990 MSE.  It's a fantastic airplane.  Original paint and interior in excellent condition.  One meticulous owner the past 23 years. Always hangared. I have not had it long but it is just not the right airplane going in and out of a grass strip we frequent. Didn't realize how rough the strip was until I started flying the Mooney out of there.  Also, I have had several Mooney's over the years but they have gotten smaller over time.  1765 TTAF with 550 SMOH.  NDH. Fresh annual just completed.  In Atlanta, GA Jim 404-550-1550

IMG_0660 2.jpeg

IMG_0675 2.jpeg

IMG_0636 3.jpeg

IMG_0638.jpeg

Please send me more pics and details, equip, price etc? ....I am interested.

-Andrew

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/27/2022 at 7:59 AM, Culver LFA said:

That wing mite not be for a J

I can attest that Jim's Mooney (and all his airplanes) are kept in the finest condition.  You will not find a better airplane than one that rolls out of his hangar.  Somebody is going to get a sweet one here!

Mite. Got it. :) :)

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Note for @James Frank,

When the plane is sold… for sure….

It is a tradition to include “sold” in the title…. :)

You can edit your first post, and the title is part of that….  
 

You can see the tremendous interest that continues to come in… so much disappointment occurs each time a newbie reads the whole thread to get the bad news for him….

Best regards,

-a-

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.