Auto pilot

Tracker

I fly a Mooney M20R in ifr with an stec autopilot.  My project for flying in a retirement is to finish building a Zenith SD 750 as an amphib.  I am progressing nicely.  My mission will be to fly for fun with time to spare but I want to employ my ifr skills to not have to scud run and pop through cloud layers.  Also my cross country trips will be much longer than in my Mooney (cruise 105 mph!). A one axis autopilot will be easy to install but a servo for pitch will be more difficult.  So my question…. For light ifr in a slow airplane would a roll/wing leveller be enough? 

Wing leveler is kind of a must have…

holding a course… would be next on the list…

Following a magenta line is great to avoid tiring easily…

does the O have to go with this plan?

I need to get the MSers with O-forever-planes group started…

:)

Best regards,

-a-

7 hours ago, Pinecone said:

Hmm, I flew a lot of hours in jets without any autopilot at all. :)

If I was flying those speeds I would be there before I felt the need to turn on autopilot. :D

2 hours ago, Pinecone said:

Are you really that jealous???

Yes, I am. 

• Haha 1

Just because I failed the Navy flight physical at age 17 because my vision was somewhat less than 20/20? You betcha!! I needed a new life plan before I even got started. 

• Like 1

I used to fly my PA-18 with no autopilot in IFR. It can be a handful because of the light wing loading.  It all depends on the minimums in which you fly the airplane, but I believe a wing leveler is nice, but pitch control is a game changer. With it you will never get the dreaded "say altitude" as you are busy twisting knobs in rough air.

No, not even a little bit.

Graduated from West Point, did more crazy stuff as an Infantry Officer than you can imagine (along with memories I wouldn’t trade).

But the bonus is that I now have the job most of your flying buddies wanted: seriously well-paid airline captain with more days off than I know what to do with.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Most often I’ve not had an autopilot not in the Maule, the 210 Stec required constant trimming to hold altitude.

The Mooney has a Century 41 that I’d love to get repaired but I’ve been told if you want that to take the airplane to Oklahoma to get if fixed.

I learned IFR in a Huey, doing intersection holding with one VOR, but I was always so far behind the aircraft I just survived the course, instruments never got to be fun until airplanes.

Personally I don’t think I’d fly a Zenith IFR myself, that’s what the Mooney is for

On 10/18/2022 at 6:29 PM, A64Pilot said:

Most often I’ve not had an autopilot not in the Maule, the 210 Stec required constant trimming to hold altitude.

The Mooney has a Century 41 that I’d love to get repaired but I’ve been told if you want that to take the airplane to Oklahoma to get if fixed.

I learned IFR in a Huey, doing intersection holding with one VOR, but I was always so far behind the aircraft I just survived the course, instruments never got to be fun until airplanes.

Personally I don’t think I’d fly a Zenith IFR myself, that’s what the Mooney is for

I would call @Jake@BevanAviation or @Bob Weber way before I took it to Autopilots Central. I have heard horror stories of $5000 repairs in Oklahoma and it still not being right. These guys both really know their stuff.

• Like 1