Single Owner or Partnership

GaryP1007

We're in a partnership.  Makes perfect sense, split the expensive split costs making it more paltable and none of us fly the airplane enough to be the sole owner.  In the last year we haven't had a single conflict over airplane time use, we've worked things out amicably (with the exception of who pilots and who navigates in air races :))

Single owner... I would accept less of a plane to keep it that way. It has to do with walking up to the hangar and not having to do an extensive pre-flight, because you are the only one who touches it. On trips, sure, you have to look out for dings, but you know where it's been and what's going on with it.

I am the sole owner.  I was looking into the partnership route but it was like herding cats.  One perspective co-owner wanted a 177RG because he liked the big doors.  He did not want a Mooney.   At the time I was flexible but we could not find a 177RG that fit the requirements.  I ran into him at the airport the other day and he was putting an offer on a F model and I believe he ended up buying it.  I guess eventually all are educated on the merits of a Mooney.

So I bought a plane I could handle on my own.  Not as pretty and as nice as I could have done with a partner but it is mine.  I do have a friend who is a pilot and I allow him to borrow my plane.  He only flies it about 15 hours a year.  This works out pretty good.

Both the F Model prviously and my current Missile are owned by me. 

I looked at joining flying clubs, finding the right partner, etc . . . but I went with single ownership.  I owned a fleet for about two weeks and though bittersweet, I did sell the F.

I am however open to the possibility of joining a group of other pilots locally who own their own aircraft, to go into a second plane together, a tailwheel plane, that is cabable of light acrobatics (loops, rolls, etc . . .).  When the time comes I'll start a thread on it.  Also, a larger more capable, six seater or cabin class split amongst a few owners may work in the distant future as well - while of course keeping my Mooney. 

-Seth

I was looking at a partnership in a Lance.  I asked my wife what she thought and she was very adamant about having the airplane available when she wanted to go somewhere without having to clear it with someone else.

So, it was my wife who insisted I buy the Mooney for her traveling pleasures.

Sole owner of the Mooney.  I've been in co ownership before on such planes as a 150 and kit planes.  I had recently thought about taking on a partner when I switched jobs and wouldn't be commuting so often but when I think about somebody else not doing things the way I like them done with the Mooney, well I would rather sell it than have to worry about it all the time.  I have no worries now and the plane gets operated the way I want.  I know exactly what happened during the last flight and can feel comfortable about taking my wife and kids in the plane knowing it's most recent history.

I will probably fly my plane 50 - 75 hours per year and that is more than sufficient I think to keep it "current".

Sole owner!

I like the freedom of sole ownership. Operating costs for the M20F are within my budget. I will likely step up to something that goes higher, faster, and farther in the next few years.  I would not be opposed to partnership at that time if the right situation presented itself.

Quote: Bnicolette

Sole owner of the Mooney.  I've been in co ownership before on such planes as a 150 and kit planes.  I had recently thought about taking on a partner when I switched jobs and wouldn't be commuting so often but when I think about somebody else not doing things the way I like them done with the Mooney, well I would rather sell it than have to worry about it all the time.  I have no worries now and the plane gets operated the way I want.  I know exactly what happened during the last flight and can feel comfortable about taking my wife and kids in the plane knowing it's most recent history.

I will probably fly my plane 50 - 75 hours per year and that is more than sufficient I think to keep it "current".

Becca, you're absolutely right.  My only partnerships were with "good friends" and they always worked out very very well.  It is very much like a marriage and takes mutual respect and like minds.  They are probably either a great thing or a horrible thing.  It's the latter that I'm afraid of now with my Mooney or even the middle ground.  If I were to think about taking on a new partner that I didn't know, I think I would certainly have a "probationary" period before I signed over part of the airplane????  I don't know how well that would go over though.

Sole owner and soul owner, I am a gypsy, travel in my work, my wife works with me, we take our plane around the country with us, for three months we are based at ABY Albany, GA. -----flew down to AAF Appalachicola, FL this morning and am having breakfast on the water, it is our plane and our lifestyle....... a partner would be fine but for now not feasible....

I think "partnerships" work best in the instance of a sole-owner defraying costs by sharing time and expenses with a non-owner. That way there's no arguing over maintenance decisions, upgrades, etc. Owner does what he or she wants, but only pays for 1/2. "Partner" is so grateful to not be flying a rental/club plane that he or she doesn't need more of a say in operations.