Rosen sun visors?

VA FLYER

Bought Rosen p/n RMY-300-1 pair from BAS for installation on my M20L converted to M20M configuration. These are advertised to fit any Mooney from 1968 to 1999 (Mine is 1988). The mounting is completely different in the airplane vs the instructions and the visors will require an entirely new installation of rivnuts on the top front corner of the sidewalls. The existing visors mounted on two fittings located about the middle of each visor. Any experience with this? 

4 hours ago, VA FLYER said:

Bought Rosen p/n RMY-300-1 pair from BAS for installation on my M20L converted to M20M configuration. These are advertised to fit any Mooney from 1968 to 1999 (Mine is 1988). The mounting is completely different in the airplane vs the instructions and the visors will require an entirely new installation of rivnuts on the top front corner of the sidewalls. The existing visors mounted on two fittings located about the middle of each visor. Any experience with this? 

Post a picture and show us what you have for visor mounts

I know this has nothing to do with your visors but are you sure your airplane doesn't have a Continental IO-550 which would be closer to a M20R (Ovation). The M20M (Bravo ) uses a Lycoming TIO-540-AF1B Engine.

Last time I checked on this, the Rosen visor was NOT available for the Ovation or any of the Mooneys that have the overhead light switches.  That was a few years ago, so something may have changed...but I kinda' doubt it!  Good luck.  If you do find that there is now a model available, please advise, because I'd be interested in picking some up as well.

8 hours ago, Jeff_S said:

Last time I checked on this, the Rosen visor was NOT available for the Ovation or any of the Mooneys that have the overhead light switches.  That was a few years ago, so something may have changed...but I kinda' doubt it!  Good luck.  If you do find that there is now a model available, please advise, because I'd be interested in picking some up as well.

Do you know if that is  because the mounting position is different than earlier models, or is it just that they interfere with the switches, or some other reason?

I have Rosen visors in my M20L.  They do use the original attach point in the middle of the each half of the upper windshield tubing.  I'm traveling currently but can look up which Rosen part number they are when I get home next week.  I have all the documentation on them from the original owner.  

-Ben

3 hours ago, bfreelove said:

I have Rosen visors in my M20L.  They do use the original attach point in the middle of the each half of the upper windshield tubing.  I'm traveling currently but can look up which Rosen part number they are when I get home next week.  I have all the documentation on them from the original owner.  

-Ben

I would be interested in seeing photos of the attachment points in the later model planes.

On 8/2/2022 at 9:23 PM, LANCECASPER said:

Post a picture and show us what you have for visor mounts

I know this has nothing to do with your visors but are you sure your airplane doesn't have a Continental IO-550 which would be closer to a M20R (Ovation). The M20M (Bravo ) uses a Lycoming TIO-540-AF1B Engine.

I do have the IO-550 and I describe it as an “Ovation Lite” and but the paperwork I got says “M20L converted to M20M configuration.” Go figure that one. Does that matter for sun visor installation? Both are “approved” for installation of Rosen visors.

15 hours ago, DonMuncy said:

Do you know if that is  because the mounting position is different than earlier models, or is it just that they interfere with the switches, or some other reason?

Different mounting position. I’ll post some photos when I get a chance.

On 8/3/2022 at 8:49 AM, Jeff_S said:

Interesting. The Rosen documentation includes virtually all models. Maybe there is a different mount but I’m going to call Rosen today and ask.

So, if you look at the Rosen website, they do have a photo of an installation in what is presumably a long-body with the overhead switches.  So in theory it should work. However, the model year numbers of approval are pretty clear, so perhaps Mooney changed the attach points later.  I do think that having that large visor there would interfere with the switches when it it folded up, so that may raise safety concerns.

On 8/3/2022 at 7:49 AM, Jeff_S said:

The overhead switches started in the mid-90's when Mooney re-did the interiors. They should be on all Ovations made since the start in 1994 and all Bravos made from that point forward.

3 hours ago, VA FLYER said:

I do have the IO-550 and I describe it as an “Ovation Lite” and but the paperwork I got says “M20L converted to M20M configuration.” Go figure that one. Does that matter for sun visor installation? Both are “approved” for installation of Rosen visors.

And among my other paperwork, I do have the right STC docs for Conversion to M20R configuration. The prior owner kinda kept everything he could find and so I have some inapplicable stuff too.

3 hours ago, LANCECASPER said:

The overhead switches started in the mid-90's when Mooney re-did the interiors. They should be on all Ovations made since the start in 1994 and all Bravos made from that point forward.

Well, that explains it. So I’m back to square one to get sun visors. I’ve looked at the usual sources but no luck. Suggestions?

C02F69E6-B1C9-4C46-818F-45167CCFB3DE.jpeg

BBB5F77D-BEC2-4ED1-8FA9-5B4E0DBA0590.jpeg

C8C3D1B8-2FB2-49F4-8D3B-BDF82FF386D1.jpeg

48 minutes ago, VA FLYER said:

Well, that explains it. So I’m back to square one to get sun visors. I’ve looked at the usual sources but no luck. Suggestions?

C02F69E6-B1C9-4C46-818F-45167CCFB3DE.jpeg

BBB5F77D-BEC2-4ED1-8FA9-5B4E0DBA0590.jpeg

C8C3D1B8-2FB2-49F4-8D3B-BDF82FF386D1.jpeg

Those are completely a one-off homemade visor. The hole for your factory visor mount is in the top corner of the vertical vinyl covered corner post shown. It has been covered with the vinyl, but it's there. I'm sure you can feel it under the vinyl. That's the only attachment point. It would still be very easy to install the Rosens that you have.

That is the original attachment for the sun visors in the M20L, just one of the PFM oddities.  As I mentioned above I do have Rosen visors that fit that attach point in my M20L and can get the part number for you in a few days.  

On 8/4/2022 at 12:57 PM, LANCECASPER said:

Those are completely a one-off homemade visor. The hole for your factory visor mount is in the top corner of the vertical vinyl covered corner post shown. It has been covered with the vinyl, but it's there. I'm sure you can feel it under the vinyl. That's the only attachment point. It would still be very easy to install the Rosens that you have.

So my visors would fit, and one would only be stuck working out how to cover the hole for the existing ones.

On 8/3/2022 at 7:36 PM, bfreelove said:

-Ben

Thanks, Ben. I’m curious to find out the p/n for them.

On 8/3/2022 at 8:49 AM, Jeff_S said:

I have the Rosen visors mounted in my F  which has an interior from 1998 Ovation.   I  initially thought I would trim  the Rosen visors  so when stowed in the usual fashion they do not cover the ceiling switches.   However,  I left them at their full size and stow  them along the headliner above the left and right  pilot and copilot window.   They fold up against the headliner lengthwise  which allows retaining the benefit of the larger visor.

John Breda

On 8/4/2022 at 1:49 PM, N201MKTurbo said:

So, why not just cut out some new plastic for the ones you have?

I thought about that and the problem is attaching the plastic to the bow-shaped frame. The installation has two neat little cleft pins, one of which is male and female threaded to provide friction positioning. (!) The pin for the co-pilot side was missing when I bought the airplane. A really good machinist could do it, but that’s beyond my capabilities. (“A man’s got to know his limitations”) It’s possible, but I don’t want something that looks like I did it in my basement and doesn’t last. Last resort…

2 minutes ago, M20F-1968 said:

I have the Rosen visors mounted in my F  which has an interior from 1998 Ovation.   I  initially thought I would trim  the Rosen visors  so when stowed in the usual fashion they do not cover the ceiling switches.   However,  I left them at their full size and stow  them along the headliner above the left and right  pilot and copilot window.   They fold up against the headliner lengthwise  which allows retaining the benefit of the larger visor.

John Breda

Thanks for that. Still searching for the right mount.

I have never seen a Rosen visor mounted in the center of a bowl like attachment you have pictured.   When I rebuilt my F model  I welded on the factory part to the steel tubing in each front corner.   The original style Rosen visor  mounted with one bolt in the single articulating arm will work as I described.   It also allows you the option of  reducing the size of the Plexiglas so it doesn't cover the switches.   Do not  use just any drill or saw to cut the Plexiglas visit will crack.   You been get Plexiglas Drills and you may want to use a jeweler saw  and cut straight areas by hand and then file or stand afterwards to avoid cracking and avoid heat production.

John Breda