I must love to work on airplanes, or I’m just crazy!

N201MKTurbo

32 minutes ago, N201MKTurbo said:

0E3C0FBF-3E11-492C-9E88-C53D6FD989C1.jpeg

Oh wow.  Be careful in that kinda heat.  I know you know, but hydrate, hydrate, hydrate.  We have been stuck in mid 90’s with 70+% humidity in Iowa for last few days...It’s friggin’ oppressive.  Gonna be 80 on Saturday with 59 dew point...Gonna be heaven :) 

N201MKturbo, I was just fun'n you...  To your question I think both can be true...  You love to work on planes and you're Crazy...  I remember I was installing injectors on a buddy's F33 and it was above 120F in the hanger.  He says " I'm done lets go hit the pool" I said you go I must finish the install.  You know never leave something half done or it could kill you....  I finished the install and hit the pool.  Two weeks later we landed at Oshkosh in that same F33,  first OSH landing... Engine ran like a champ

Enjoy

• Like 1

The summer before last I removed the governor in our M20C in late July.  In Alabama. Started late morning and worked until mid-afternoon.  Pulled the nose of the aircraft out of the110 degree hangar, but that put us  in the sun.  Temperature 97 with a dew point of 74.  That results in a heat index of 109.  I'll never do that again.  I was raised in a hot, dry, climate with summertime highs over 100 but low dew points in the 40's or 50's.  I could work all afternoon in those conditions.   But, add the humidity and it reduces your ability to dissipate heat.  Not kidding, my co-pilot was helping me.  After we got home early evening, we both crashed and slept for about 15 hours.   I felt like total crap for a couple of days after that.  That's my story.

Regarding your post, yes, despite being an aviation fanatic (cheers!) this chart says that working in 130 degree heat is downright dangerous.   Independent from the r.h.   Don't do it.

heat-index.png

• Like 1

Well, I just looked up our dewpoint, it is 55F. This reminds me of 1992 (I think) when the OAT hit 122 and all the airliners couldn't fly because their performance charts stopped at 120. (They fixed that about a week later) So the heat in the hangar was literally OFF THE CHARTS!

So extrapolating your chart, that would put me at 185, I did get a little woozy at one point wrestling the engine off the airframe by myself. But by then it was down to 167...

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, N201MKTurbo said:

Well, I just looked up our dewpoint, it is 55F. This reminds me of 1992 (I think) when the OAT hit 122 and all the airliners couldn't fly because their performance charts stopped at 120. (They fixed that about a week later) So the heat in the hangar was literally OFF THE CHARTS!

So extrapolating your chart, that would put me at 185, I did get a little woozy at one point wrestling the engine off the airframe by myself. But by then it was down to 167...

I don't know about 1992, but I moved to Gilbert in August of 1990 and it hit 122° the day after we got there. What a welcome...

4 minutes ago, Skates97 said:

I don't know about 1992, but I moved to Gilbert in August of 1990 and it hit 122° the day after we got there. What a welcome...

I’ve had people from other places say that after it gets over 100 it doesn’t matter, not true!

100 is hot, 122 is F’in hot!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

After living in Las Vegas, Tempe for a summer and currently having an office in the Imperial valley I always felt like past 107 is all the same. F’n Hot! A little over a week ago we got some humidity mixed in with the 115 degree heat and that was crazy. Still managed to keep my CHT’s under 400 climbing out with my A/c on:)

9 minutes ago, MooneyMitch said:

65F in Dismal (Pismo) Beach currently.:D

Bbbrrrrrr! Sorry you're missing summer. Today is a cool 84° with 77% humidity. A cool, cloudy afternoon. It's not even below 60° at sunrise for another month or two.

But I do very little outside over 100° or when the heat index is 105 or greater. Cooler before lunch and after dinner.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, N201MKTurbo said:

I remember that week! It was actually 1989. My wife and I had arrived at Luke AFB that January for my foreign exchange tour with the USAF and we thought we were in paradise. We left Cold Lake Alberta in -40C. 
Early July when it hit 122 I though it was a novel experience and was kinda enjoying it. I had just heard on the radio that Southwest had Cancelled had ceased all departures from Sky Harbour until Boeing could come up with new WAT charts because they were not allowed to extrapolate beyond the limits of the existing charts.

Then I went out to my car to drive home. I couldn’t open the door to my car without burning my hands so I had to go back into the squadron building to get my flying gloves. My little Canadian Toyota had no AC. 

Ok. Not so fun anymore! Then the AC in our house died and it took 3 days before anyone could fix it. All the house plants died and the candles in our dining room drooped over like inverted “U” shapes. When they fixed it, it took another two days to cool the house down enough for us to move back in. 

But I still miss those days! And it still beats -40C.