G5 HSI released!

I gotta believe to get certified requires:
An FAA lawyer type to handle paperwork, communications, etc
Two test engineers, one software, the other hardware.
And test plans that 100s of pages and test scenarios taking months to complete.
Add a couple of developers....
That's 1/2 million in wages alone.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, tigers2007 said:

Yeah are we talking $1M to get it certified? If Garmin is charging a $1k premium for the certified versions then they would break even after the first 1000 units are sold. They'll sell several thousand if these this year alone.
I'm suspecting that the certification costs must be high as Dynon priced their certified D10/100 similarly. I'll leave it at that as this might lead into someone ranting about high prescription drug costs lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I really hope Dynon is seeing similar order numbers for their D10A as Garmin is for the G5, although I doubt it. Otherwise, how can we expect them to move forward on a SkyView STC?

On 3/30/2017 at 7:41 AM, jetdriven said:

Are you installing the GTx-345R remote transponder? 

I *was* going to but decided to remove some other old radar equipment and wend back to the standard 354 and not the remoted version.  You can still control the 345 with the GTN 750 but it was $500+ cheaper to go back to the face-plate version.

3 hours ago, Ragsf15e said:

Would love two G5s, one to replace my vacuum AI and one to replace my old king HSI but I can't believe they can't output heading signal to my stec 30 AP?!  That's a show stopper for me.

Me too. I hope they're working on this. Is they make it happen I'm buying one. I wonder how much the KCS-55 will fetch on a post G5 HSI used market.

Don't bet on it. The Garmin autopilot outputs for experimental airplane's are CANbus while, century and king are AC.  Maybe they can make a box to interface it but by then your in the two G5 solution for Aspen money. 

• Like 5

8 hours ago, jetdriven said:

Don't bet on it. The Garmin autopilot outputs for experimental airplane's are CANbus while, century and king are AC.  Maybe they can make a box to interface it but by then your in the two G5 solution for Aspen money. 

I'm sticking with Garmin on the advice of Peter Garmin. Apparently Aspen is crap. :P

• Like 2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7 hours ago, KSMooniac said:

Garmin said it could be flush-mounted, but they don't offer a kit/bracket. It should be pretty simple for a shop to make something IMO.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

Has anybody seen this? Any pictures to be had?